Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #41
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: any recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAngels View Post
Yea unfortunately not done with school yet so no customs for me yet but I was looking at this humidor in particular curious to know what you guys think and if you have any quick tips or suggestions on what I should looknfor when inspecting it at the shop tomorrow http://www.qualityimporters.com/qual...tail.asp?ID=56
He said he was looking at that so I used context clues to figure he probably wanted a desktop.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #42
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Yeah, I suppose it would help if I clicked on the links... oops!

I was just thinking that maybe he was dismissing the wineador because of assumed cost, or maybe hadn't considered the idea at all.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #43
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Very good point. Either way, the edgestar is a great option but if you are looking for a desktop check out the site I posted. I as well as many other members on the site can vouch for them.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #44
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

If you want a desktop get one, you asked for recommendations but then rebuked that advice. Sounds like you already know what you want.

My advice would be listen to the folks here. Many many a newbie comes in and asks this same question, gets told get a vino or a cooler and they all say No I want a desktop. Your going to out grow your desktop in a month or two...most everyone does. Since you mentioned your desk after you grad law school

A) How long till you graduate law school?

If more than a year get a cooler and spend your money on cigars to build your collection...THEN when you graduate and get a job. THEN get something nice for your office...chances are you'll be making better coin then and would want something nicer then the entry level type desktop humidors on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Till then figure out what you like..get and smoke lots of it!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #45
TonyAngels

Ok first ide like to thank everyone for their help thus far. But today I purchased the Man O' War desktop humidor. I started by giving the inside a quick dampening with distiller water and a cloth and I now have a glass with distiller water in there along with the humidification pad that came with the humidor. My question is what are my next steps? I plan to buy a digital hydrometer ASAP and I also plan on waiting for this humidor to reach a perfect 70 rh before putting anything into it. What do you guys suggest for humidification? Beads? An electric one? And is there anything else I should do in my seasoning process? Lastly how often should I open it to check the humidity with the pad and glass of distiller water in it?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #46
kgoings
Cigarologist

kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/search.php
Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #47
pnoon
YNWA

Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
linky no worky
Old 07-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #48
kgoings
Cigarologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
linky no worky
Its a link to the search function
Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #49
pnoon
YNWA

Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
Its a link to the search function

I was expecting a link that would be helpful to him
Old 07-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #50
kgoings
Cigarologist

Stickies and search are your friend

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=618

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=621
Old 07-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #51
TonyAngels

Ok after reading I'm gonna go with the puck and rh beads. They seem to be the best way to go. Perhaps you guys could talk me into putting the bowl of distilled water in my humidor to season it. As of now I gave it a quick wipe down this afternoon with the distilled water and right now I have the humidity pad they gave me with the humidor in there with some distilled water in it and for now I put a little shot glass with distilled water in there but it's making me a little nervous because like I said with this new York heat wave and humidity I feel like if I leave all that humidity in there for 2 weeks I'll get mold I read the stickies and also articles online but I just can't get myself to put the bowl of water in there fearing mold will follow. If you want to check out the humidor the link is http://www.qualityimporters.com/qual...ail.asp?ID=623 . Could really use your guys help and not just more links to stickies or articles for this.thanks
Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #52
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

It's best if you learn how to take advantage of search -- there is a lot of very good information out there -- just like the threads that we have provided to you for reference.

Good luck!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #53
TonyAngels

I really want to season this properly but a lot of people say to wipe it down some say put a bowl some say a sponge some a shot glass and some a paper towel or a combo of two of these I'm looking for u guys to tell me from personal experience what my best way to go is. And also with the humidor I chose how long should I continue the process for? I read the stickies and searched and read now I want your opinions from your experience
Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #54
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAngels View Post
. Could really use your guys help and not just more links to stickies or articles for this.thanks
The Stickies will help a lot with the basic questions you are asking.

Once the humidor is at the correct humidity, you will no longer need water vessels.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #55
kgoings
Cigarologist

Your asking our opinion and we are telling you read the Sticky...that is the method most of us believe in. Do not wipe down the wood, it can warp and cause your humidor to not seal properly..and it is only putting a little bit of moisture on the outer portion of the wood. Looks like the Humidity in NY is around 70...sounds fine. Put the bowl in there for a week and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Advnture View Post
To Properly Season A Humidor:

In regards to seasoning, it's pretty simple. Most people think that you should wipe down the interior with water and you're done but I DO NOT recommend this for two reasons. 1.) It does not provide enough moisture to properly season the humidor 2.) It can warp the wood in the humidor.

New wood will draw moisture until it reaches its saturation point, so to properly season your humidor, simply place a large bowl of distilled water into the humidor and keep it closed for 7-14 days. This will allow the dry wood to absorb as much moisture as it can hold. By doing this, you will have a more stable environment for your cigars and reduce the chances of the dry wood absorbing moisture from your cigars. Patience is key to ensure that your new humidor is properly seasoned.

While your waiting for the humidor to season, purchase and calibrate a digital hygrometer. You'll save yourself some headache in the long run.

I hope this helps and happy smoking!

~Mark

Shot glass, sponge, bowl..its all the same thing...water. The idea as stated by Mark is to saturate the wood...which one do you think will hold the most water and allow the wood to saturate itself. Pick one and go
Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #56
TXRebel
Have My Own Room

First Name: Cary
Trading: (12)
TXRebel has disabled reputation

Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one. That being said, I would not wipe it down, just use a shot glass.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #57
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... should've read the thread before posting. there I go being late to the party again...
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote