Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #241
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ask The Rabbi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozero View Post
My wife purchased a replacement wedding ring; I've lost two others, for my last birthday. It says "כִּי אֶל-אֲשֶׁר תֵּלְכִי אֵלֵךְ". My Hebrew is poor at best and I've forgotten how to read some of the letters and vowels. The ring lettering does not include the vowels, I found what I posted above using Google searches. I found that it comes from the book of Ruth, where Ruth replied: 'Entreat me not to leave thee, and to return from following after thee; for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge; thy people shall be my people, and thy G-d my G-d".

Can you provide me with a transliteration to help me learn how to pronouce it correctly?

TIA,
Michael
sure. Ki al asher talachi alach (the 'ch' is not like chosen but like chanukah)
Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #242
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAl View Post
I have a question, Rabbi. In Chaydar, I learned that the name of G-d is never to be spoken, not even in prayer. We learned to recognize the name of the Lord and substitue Adonai or HaShem. Yet it seems to have become commonplace, even vogue, to use that name we deem too holy to say.

Have the rules changed?
No. The rules never change. This was question addressed above.

It has become 'fashionable' with many outsiders to try and pronounce G-d's Name, like the Madonna Kabalah crowd etc... it is nothing more than just a new spiritual blah hip thing to do. Ironically they are pronouncing and spelling it wrong.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #243
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
This question interests me.

Speaking of the witch of Endor, was she the reason for all those daggum Ewoks that ruined Return of the Jedi?
that was the MOON of endor... oy, those Ewoks, look like big Shittzus...
Old 05-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #244
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

ps. we also believe in Reincarnation... for those inquiring minds.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #245
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Rabbi,

I want to send this question via pm in case the answer contains information that could be seen as controversial.

First, I just want to say thank you for holding this forum. I know that it helps the Jewish members on this board, but it also provides a service to those that are non-Jewish. I actually have no religious affiliation, but I'm fascinated by religious traditions.

I hope that I can describe this right. Again, this question is coming from a memory. This memory is from the movie Pi. As a caveat, I certainly don't think that the movie's portrayal of Judaism is 100% accurate, but it's the best way I can describe the question. In case you've seen the movie, you may know what this is referencing.

There is a scene where the Jewish characters are wearing some very distinct religious garments. From what I remember, it appears that they are wearing bands that are wrapped around their arms. Also, there is a band with a small box that is worn above the forehead. I know that I've seen this outside of the movie, so it doesn't appear to be fabricated to fit a motive. I just don't know to what extent this tradition is practiced or in what capacity.

I hope that I've described this accurately. What is the significance of these garments? Is it specifically for certain celebrations or holidays?

Thank you again for helping those, such as myself, ignorant of Jewish traditions to better understand a different religious perspective.

With sincerest respect and appreciation,

Not controversial at all. A very valid and important question.

Sorry just to give you a link, but this would be a really long answer and this is really the MOST comprehensive description:

http://www.chabad.org/generic_cdo/ai...h/Tefillin.htm

http://www.chabad.org/generic_cdo/ai...h/Tefillin.htm

Also, I have seen Pi.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #246
BillyCigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHagen View Post
We DO embrace an afterlife for the soul. Torah and especially mystical Judaism describes this at length and in detail.
Ahh thanks for clarifying! I must have been confused - about 6 months back, I was having a casual (almost joking) discussion about the afterlife, heaven, etc. with my 2 Jewish friends and they both told me that they just "cease to exist". Odd.

Thanks again!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #247
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Hello again Rabbi,

So this reincarnation thing has always had me curious. Do your texts give specifics on how this would work? I'm wondering if I die, my soul comes out and has a period of enlightenment (where it would remember all of its lives, not just this one) and then goes back to a body...or if I just die, have my memory wiped, and shoved into a new body. The second option seems pretty lame, considering I wouldn't even be aware of it (and then is it even me?)
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #248
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
Hello again Rabbi,

So this reincarnation thing has always had me curious. Do your texts give specifics on how this would work? I'm wondering if I die, my soul comes out and has a period of enlightenment (where it would remember all of its lives, not just this one) and then goes back to a body...or if I just die, have my memory wiped, and shoved into a new body. The second option seems pretty lame, considering I wouldn't even be aware of it (and then is it even me?)
this topic deserves a tremndously long answer, some of which I will write up and post IY''H
Old 05-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #249
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
this topic deserves a tremndously long answer, some of which I will write up and post IY''H
Thanks, take your time
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #250
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

After reading every single post - I must say that I have found this thread to be both entertaining and informative at the same time.

So . . . I have a few questions I have not seen answered:

01. How long have you been a Rabbi?

02. Was there some defining moment or event in your life that led you to becoming a Rabbi.

03. I love your wit and humor . . . was being a stand up comedian ever an option?

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #251
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

My family as long as is known, after immigrating to the US has been Christian. Yet my Great Great Grandfather Jacob Bez and his wife Mimi immigrated here from Germany during the time of the first Jewish persecution by the Kaiser. The one picture of him we have he looks very much like the Rabbi on page 2 of this thread. It has always been thought he was Jewish. I am descended from him through a complete female lineage. As I understand it then that would mean I am considered a Jew, correct?

Is there any Jewish registries or libraries to verify he and his family were indeed Jewish?

And if so should I be looking for a nice Jewish girl to marry? And if not verified will my memory be good enough for a Jewish mother?

And if I did find a nice Jewish girl would I need to practice Judaism too? I was raised Christian and believe and hold my faith as a core of myself so I don't think I could just change my faith for love.

Last edited by kydsid; 05-29-2009 at 09:11 AM.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #252
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
I was raised Christian and believe and hold my faith as a core of myself so I don't think I could just change my faith for love.
I'm having this problem too, just the other way around. (I'm Jewish, she is a Christian)
Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #253
mi2az

I have a question. In the Torah, it states "Don't boil a kid in it's mothers milk", What does this have to do with a cheese burger ?

Why can't Jews eat chicken and drink milk, chickens don't produce milk but eggs are parve ?

Also, why is the front end of the cow Kosher and not the back end, they both have blood cells and you can't drain 100% of the blood from animals ?

Animal sacrafices during second temple period, didn' t the levi's and Choeniam eat the whole animal, backend included ? I don't think they surgicaly removed the veins from the animal in order to make it Kosher. So what happens if you ate a vein from the front end of the animal ?

Last edited by mi2az; 05-29-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #254
mi2az

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I'm having this problem too, just the other way around. (I'm Jewish, she is a Christian)

I am Jewish as well and my wife is Gentile/Christian. We raise our kids Jewish, Since I am Jewish and in the Reform movement, my kids are reconized as Jews even though I am not a Reform Jew. We don't keep Rabinical Kosher, but we don't eat unclean animals or unclean fish.

My wife looks at herself as Ruth the Moabite, Your G-d is my G-d, Your people are my people. We celebrate all of the Jewish holidays and none of the Christians one's. Wife never thought of converting, not that she has any against Judaism, it is more of the higher accountability of being a Jew. Please take no offense by my statements.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #255
MadAl
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
SLR
MadAl is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the repeated question. I admire your humor and appreciate your answers.
MadAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #256
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Rabbi, is it considered wrong or insulting for non-Jews to spell out the name of G-d without using the hyphen? Or is this a stricture only for Jews, like keeping kosher?
TanithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #257
mi2az

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
Rabbi, is it considered wrong or insulting for non-Jews to spell out the name of G-d without using the hyphen? Or is this a stricture only for Jews, like keeping kosher?
I can answer this one.

G-d's name is Holy so we dare not write it out. If you were to have journals, papers, books with it spelled out, as a praticing Jew, you would need to bury the articles with the name of G-d with a Jewish person when they die, you do not throw the name of HaShem in the garbage or shed them in the paper shreader.

We also do not speak his name, like HaShem Translates to "The Name" but is meant for G-d.

So, putting the hyphen is to give great respect as not to wipe/delete/blot out his name in case we need to dispose of the papers it is written on.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #258
nozero

Quote:
sure. Ki al asher talachi alach (the 'ch' is not like chosen but like chanukah)
THANKS! I was very close, I thought the last word was alak. Live and learn!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #259
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
So, putting the hyphen is to give great respect as not to wipe/delete/blot out his name in case we need to dispose of the papers it is written on.
Thanks for that answer. Which raises two more questions. One, how is that considered to apply to electrons on a screen? And two, is it considered insulting to people of the Jewish faith if a non-Jew writes the word "G-d" in what is for them a normal way, without the hyphen?
TanithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #260
mi2az

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
Thanks for that answer. Which raises two more questions. One, how is that considered to apply to electrons on a screen? And two, is it considered insulting to people of the Jewish faith if a non-Jew writes the word "G-d" in what is for them a normal way, without the hyphen?

That is a hard question. But for me, I have Gentile friends that I would say disrespect the Bible. They would lay it on the floor and turn the pages with there toes during a Bible study.

1) Jews do not let anything with the word of G-d on it touch the floor. If it does, we kiss the book for reverence.

2) As for electrons ? I am sure this was discussed about with the Rabbinical Authorities. I do not know what there final decision is or was on this topic.

3) As for a Gentile hyphen the word or not, I do not get upset, but I believe it would be frown upon since it is still the word of G-d.