Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
JKim

Default Arturo Fuente Reserva #55 (Anejo)

I posted this review on 1/24/2007

-----------------

Last week, I pulled a Anejo #55 out of the Coolerdor with intentions to smoke soon. The coolerdor stays steady at 70% RH between 55 and 65 degrees F now in the winter. I had picked these up on December 22 at a local B&M.

I let it rest in my desktop humidor at about 65% 68F for a week waiting for the right time to smoke. Today was one of those days, I was working from home, the sun was shining, but a little chilly. I decided to pair up the Anejo with some black coffee at about 4 PM today.

Arturo Fuente Reserva 55 Anejo
Construction: After removing the cedar, I found the Anejo very veiny but consistent in shape. The cap construction is almost a perfect swirl.

Pre-light draw - slightly on the tight side, but not so much that you have to work to pull air through.

Pre-light taste - Little cinnamon spice.

After toasting the foot I torched at 4:30 PM. There is not much flavor, just a touch of spice with a very smooth draw. The triple cap had a vein on the edge of it which I found a little distracting. I picked up a few hints of grass/straw flavors.

First 1/3rd, Medium body with subtle Maduro flavors. A subtle nut flavor, subtle spice, subtle sweetness. The cigar burns with a very tight white ash and even burn. I noticed a slight floral bouquet 1/3rd into the smoke.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
JKim

Default Re: Arturo Fuente Reserva #55 (Anejo)

The ash fell off gently at an inch long.

At the halfway point - draw became tight. I worked on the draw with a few hard pulls thinking it was about to stop burning. I picked up heavy smoke flavor from several back to back hard pulls as expected. I'm still waiting for this cigar to come alive. I let the cigar rest for 2 minutes, the draw corrected itself. not much of a flavor bomb here. The cigar picked up
a little spice in the 2nd half. A little more nut and spice 2/3rds into the smoke. I decided not to let this burn down to the nub after smokin a little bit into the last 3rd. The cigar stayed consistent with subtle flavors. It may have been a little too complex for me to pick out all the subtleties. I have to say I was a little disappointed. I let it burn out shortly after dropping the 2nd ash. The finish after I came inside lingered for quite a while with hints of grass and straw. Perhaps this was a little too young.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Jimbo14
Habano Man

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
Jimbo14 is on a distinguished road

Excelent review. Thankyou for sharing!
Jimbo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough

This is my favorite Anejo...even over the shark
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
Wanger

Excellent review.

Had my last 55 last weekend. Love them, though the Shark is my favorite! Mine was about 3 years old. Loved the flavor. A medium-full stick with sweet spice to them. NUMMY!
Old 05-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
scooter

Thanks for the great review.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

great review, great stick