Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #61
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Verizon Finally Lands iPhone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
No, allegedly it will still be running on 3G which means no browsing while on a call. Additionally it would be a bad move for someone to buy now as traditionally apple releases a new model each June and I don't forsee this being any different if the verizon phone is going to be the same platform as the current iPhone 4
Nothing alleged about it, it's plain old 3g cdma.

I completely agree with everything else Andrew. WWDC is going to be June. If the past is any indication there will be a new iPhone unveiled. If I were in the market for a Verizon iPhone I would wait a few more months.

PS - LOVE my Chico State Mug!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #62
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Old 01-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #63
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
No, allegedly it will still be running on 3G which means no browsing while on a call. Additionally it would be a bad move for someone to buy now as traditionally apple releases a new model each June and I don't forsee this being any different if the verizon phone is going to be the same platform as the current iPhone 4
Eh, there is a new phone every six months that makes your current one out of date no matter what you do. And if I'm not mistaken generally CDMA versions release later so who knows if they will be same date release or not.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #64
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
Eh, there is a new phone every six months that makes your current one out of date no matter what you do. And if I'm not mistaken generally CDMA versions release later so who knows if they will be same date release or not.
or in this case smart

sometimes even faster than that
Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #65
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Man I love a good heated debate
Old 01-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #66
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I heard some reports saying the antenna problems will be fixed in the Verizon version
Old 01-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #67
mpd340

Hopefully Verizon's service will be better than AT&T's, my iphone service sucks.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #68
staminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I heard some reports saying the antenna problems will be fixed in the Verizon version
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/v...ntenna-design/

According to this the functionality of the antenna will not change.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #69
Jhooker

My iPhone 4 is hit or miss on service, but I guess all phone and carriers have there issues!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #70
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

at $200 i'm not interested
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #71
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I agree whole heartedly, but this is MID-product cycle. I buy a brand new to the market phone I expect it to be overtaken by something new. With this you are already half-way there.

They are going to see a metric a$s-load - it's freaking brilliant.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #72
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
I agree whole heartedly, but this is MID-product cycle. I buy a brand new to the market phone I expect it to be overtaken by something new. With this you are already half-way there.

They are going to see a metric a$s-load - it's freaking brilliant.
I get what you mean, I just have my doubts the cdma version of the next iphone will release at the same time. Given how fast phones advance already, I'm fine with taking the risk. Especially since I'm eligible for an upgrade already
Old 01-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #73
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
I get what you mean, I just have my doubts the cdma version of the next iphone will release at the same time. Given how fast phones advance already, I'm fine with taking the risk. Especially since I'm eligible for an upgrade already
I don't doubt for a second it will be a great device. And you very well may be correct and the CDMA iPhone 5 is going to be next winter... The only thing really sticking in my craw is that you CANT get these on a 1-year contract. It seems like it's 2 years or full retail. I also heard (pure speculation) that Verizon is going to be changing it's early upgrade eligibility from 1 year to 20 months. 20 months is a LONG time.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #74
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
I don't doubt for a second it will be a great device. And you very well may be correct and the CDMA iPhone 5 is going to be next winter... The only thing really sticking in my craw is that you CANT get these on a 1-year contract. It seems like it's 2 years or full retail. I also heard (pure speculation) that Verizon is going to be changing it's early upgrade eligibility from 1 year to 20 months. 20 months is a LONG time.
I believe they just changed their contracts around, and as far as I know you can do a 1 year or a 2 year, instead of the "new every two" they used to stick with. Not sure if maybe the iPhone won't offer the 1 year option
Old 01-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #75
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I am far from a techie, but saw an article saying Verizon's Iphone won't allow multitasking. You won't be able to send email or surf the net while on the phone they were saying.

Not important to me, but I'm sure it is for some.

I'm eligible for an upgrade with ATT, but am waiting for Iphone5.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #76
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

There was an interesting article in the paper here today about the new Verizon Iphone. Like Pete and several others mentioned it is 3G only so there is no surfing/talking concurrently. I don't see that as a huge deal for me anyway. However, they were saying the big catch is that Apple will probably release a new Iphone 5 this summer. Again that is widely expected and not huge news. What really caught my eye though was they said that Verizon will not be able to offer the Iphone 5 to its customers until the one year anniversary of their contract. It would really tick me off if a new model was released and I could only get the old one!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #77
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I think there are going to be a lot of ticked off people if Apple doesn't plan this correctly.

I suspect they will come out with a "new and improved" model for the Verizon release to avoid new customers feeling like they got "leftover phones with antennae issues." (not that that is the case, just perception for some)

I'm kinda excited for my upgrade as I am still in the dark ages with my Iphone 3.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #78
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
Man I love a good heated debate
Especially ones that I know absolutely nothing about.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #79
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
at $200 i'm not interested
My guess is you've never purchased a smartphone before....unfortuntately most smart phones are in the $200 range with a 2 year contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
I think there are going to be a lot of ticked off people if Apple doesn't plan this correctly.

I suspect they will come out with a "new and improved" model for the Verizon release to avoid new customers feeling like they got "leftover phones with antennae issues." (not that that is the case, just perception for some)
I wouldn't be surprised if they release the 4g phone next month and the 5g in the summer....how else can Apple expect their stock price/revenue to continue to climb
Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #80
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if they release the 4g phone next month and the 5g in the summer....how else can Apple expect their stock price/revenue to continue to climb
I would be surprised to see two new releases from Apple that close to each other