Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #61
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Kids Sent Home For Wearing American Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Just giving you a hard time Greg.
Cool. I just didn't quote and should have.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #62
TonySmith
Feeling at Home

Trading: (1)
AirForce
TonySmith has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Sorry I missed this Lance...I'm not really getting involved in the argument on whether or not the kids should have gotten sent home. I was just making the point that Cinco de Mayo is not a "Mexican" holiday exactly. It's holiday where Americans of Mexican decent celebrate their heritage (and college kids get drunk, but they don't really need an excuse for that ) and has become, much like St. Patricks day, an excuse for everyone to get blitzed.
Wrong..sorry. Cinco de Mayo celebrates that the Mexican army defeated the French army led by General Mavimilian at Puebla, Puebla, Mexico. Yes it is a holiday where people get drunk, but it is a "Mexican" event. I also don't think it's respectful to wear the American flag as clothing

/Thread hijack off
Old 05-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #63
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
...I don't see where a lawsuit would benefit anyone. Yes, it's a question of First Amendment rights but if the school administration admits it overreacted a lawsuit is pointless and a waste of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Not sure a lawsuit would be pointless.

Waste of time, maybe in your opinion, but there is grounds for a lawsuit.
I think a lawsuit will happen not because it is "right" but out of pure greed. Remember, it's TAX DOLLARS that will pay for any lawsuits...

It would be best if the school just apologized and people moved on...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #64
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySmith View Post
Wrong..sorry. Cinco de Mayo celebrates that the Mexican army defeated the French army led by General Mavimilian at Puebla, Puebla, Mexico. Yes it is a holiday where people get drunk, but it is a "Mexican" event. I also don't think it's respectful to wear the American flag as clothing

/Thread hijack off
Nice attitude. How about "I disagree, here's why"?

----------------

In the United States Cinco de Mayo has taken on a significance beyond that in Mexico.[16][18][19][20] The date is perhaps best recognized in the United States as a date to celebrate the culture and experiences of Americans of Mexican ancestry, much as St. Patrick's Day, Oktoberfest, and the Chinese New Year are used to celebrate those of Irish, German, and Chinese ancestry respectively. Similar to those holidays, Cinco de Mayo is observed by many Americans regardless of ethnic origin. Celebrations tend to draw both from traditional Mexican symbols, such as the Virgen de Guadalupe, and from prominent figures of Mexican descent in the United States, including César Chávez.[21] To celebrate, many display Cinco de Mayo banners while school districts hold special events to educate pupils about its historical significance. Special events and celebrations highlight Mexican culture, especially in its music and regional dancing. Examples include baile folklórico and mariachi demonstrations held annually at the Plaza del Pueblo de Los Angeles, near Olvera Street. Commercial interests in the United States have capitalized on the celebration, advertising Mexican products and services, with an emphasis on beverages,[22] foods, and music.[23][24]
Old 05-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #65
Darrell

Quote:
I also don't think it's respectful to wear the American flag as clothing.
I agree partially.

However, these kids were not wearing the American flag as clothing. One kid had it on his shirt and the other had a bandanna. I don't see an issue with that, if they had defaced or altered the flag to make it a piece of clothing that would be unacceptable, but they didn't.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #66
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Maybe some personal knowledge on the students involved may sway the opinion on those who say the students should be able to wear the American flag? You have to consider the safety of all the students, not a few's "freedom of speech". How about getting some A's on their tests first?

I am probably on the principal's side, but my better half is a high school teacher in one of the toughest cities in New England, so I see it his decision from an administrative stand point.

Is wearing a Germany shirt distasteful or inciting at a school with a large Jewish community on Holocaust Remembrance Day? What about the Confederate Flag on MLK day? Neither are in their own context are bad, but when used in a specific setting breaks the fiber and order of the school.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #67
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Is wearing a Germany shirt distasteful or inciting at a school with a large Jewish community on Holocaust Remembrance Day? What about the Confederate Flag on MLK day? Neither are in their own context are bad, but when used in a specific setting breaks the fiber and order of the school.
Hmmm....

I don't think the German flag carries any bad stigma with Jewish folks, the Swastika on the other hand...

Also, the Confederate flag carries a notoriously bad stigma with it because of the KKK and White Supremacist groups, so I'd say that's in bad taste.

With that said, I don't feel it is ever in bad taste to wear the American flag on your clothing in THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Maybe I am just a grouchy Veteran who sees nothing wrong with wearing the flag of your country, in YOUR country any day of the year.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #68
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I agree partially.

However, these kids were not wearing the American flag as clothing. One kid had it on his shirt and the other had a bandanna. I don't see an issue with that, if they had defaced or altered the flag to make it a piece of clothing that would be unacceptable, but they didn't.
What if they made a cap out of a US Flag and wore it backwards? Still no?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #69
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
Trading: (22)
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

This is America.. Land of the free...

Is it not?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #70
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
What if they made a cap out of a US Flag and wore it backwards? Still no?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #71
Bigwaved

Trading: (3)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Bigwaved has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I can understand the principal’s concern that the students wearing the US flag just to incite and provoke. I can also see (not a reason mentioned here) that wearing the US flag as a “bandana” is disrespectful of the flag.

I don’t think it was the disregard for the American flag by the principal that was the issue as much as the students’ negative and malicious intent by wearing it. That being said, the principal could’ve used a better solution to mitigate the circumstance.
Agreed. Intent was most likely the reason the vice principal did what he did, but the solution may not have been the best one. For people to ignore what was happening and just jump to the American flag aspect is what it is. Some could argue using the flag to incite is, in itself, misguided. A lot of symbols could be discussed ad nauseum, imo.

Last edited by Bigwaved; 05-06-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #72
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
I agree partially.

Good point!!!

Quote:
My friend is a Mexican American and he says Cinco de Mayo isn't a real holiday anywhere but the U.S., it was cooked up by beer companies to sell more products. It gets hardly any exposure in it's own country outside of Puebla.

Wait... You have a friend???

Smoke what you like!!!

Last edited by Skywalker; 05-06-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #73
TonySmith
Feeling at Home

AirForce

US Flag Code

http://suvcw.org/flag.htm

section 8 (d)The flag should never be used as wearing apparel....
Old 05-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #74
Darrell

Quote:
US Flag Code

http://suvcw.org/flag.htm

section 8 (d)The flag should never be used as wearing apparel....
Yes, the FLAG. Meaning, you cannot go out front, pull the flag down from the pole and make a pair of trousers and a boonie hat with it, it does not mean you cannot wear flags on your clothing (i.e PRINT).

Old 05-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #75
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

From what I understand (and please correct me) Cinco de Mayo while claimed Mexico Independence day is actually false. Mexico's Independence day is September 27th. When their Independence was declared from Spain Following a war with France.

P.S. Someone burned a Mexican Flag in Arizona (I believe) and was taken to prison. While Those who burn an American Flag here in America are hailed a heroes. Go figgure......

@ Akumushi: A holiday created by Corona and a Holiday to honor those we have lost in battle are not on the same plane. Get into laws all you want but excluding wearing a t-shirt on specific day seams to be pushing it. I know there is racial tension everywhere but shouldn't the administration not necessarily be afraid of the students?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #76
TonySmith
Feeling at Home

AirForce

Quote:
Yes, the FLAG. Meaning, you cannot go out front, pull the flag down from the pole and make a pair of trousers and a boonie hat with it, it does not mean you cannot wear flags on your clothing (i.e PRINT).
I think you are splitting hairs Darrell. The FLAG doesn't have to be big to be a flag. Any size or replication of the flag is a flag. I don't want to get in an argument about this. I believe any size flag is a flag. I will not wear one, do what you want, my friend
Old 05-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #77
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Like this jerkoff? Cut a hole in the middle and make a poncho sounds Like what the Flag code is talking about.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #78
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Guess I am in the minority, but if kids are doing something that is clearly designed to antagonize other classmates, I have no issue with the school asking you to change.

It appears to me, that is exactly what this is....
Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #79
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I think you are splitting hairs Darrell. The FLAG doesn't have to be big to be a flag. Any size or replication of the flag is a flag. I don't want to get in an argument about this. I believe any size flag is a flag. I will not wear one, do what you want, my friend
Tony, not trying to get in the middle of this but just trying to clarify. Would you take issue with these T-shirt images being worn?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #80
mariogolbee

We were discussing history and how it affects the symbolism and politics of a nation in my Political Science class today. After a story of someone wearing a Hitler costume on Halloween to a class with a Jewish professor, and wearing a KKK outfit to a class with an African American professor, our professor brought up this topic. Although it is not as blunt as the other two stories given, the point was still quite obvious. A possibly volatile situation is was dealt with before it had a chance to escalate. With the racial profiling and immigration laws of recent years and especially as of late going on today the message the boys were sending was obviously of an aggressive nature. Before one blames the principal for his actions they should try walking in his shoes first.

America is a beautiful melting pot comprised of it's diverse population. The various ethnic and cultural backgrounds which makes up America should all be respected and well treated.

Instead of spending so much energy on this topic take a poke at some of these folks.
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/hate-map

P.S. Why is this thread still open? It is clearly political.

Closed Thread