Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about
Default Verizon 3G verse 4G - Speed Test

I've been a Crackberry user for the past several years. And while I did like my Storm II - I didn't like the slooooow access and the arcane web browser.

As it was upgrade time I ordered in the HTC Thunderbolt. I like it. My home sits right on the 3G to 4G fringe - 3G in the backyard and 4G in the front - LOL.

Anyway I installed the SpeedTest.net app and ran it today, results are:

3G Download 800kbps Upload 148kbps Ping 230ms

4G Download 20212kbps Upload 4712kbps Ping 78ms

Hell of a difference!

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation
Default Re: Verizon 3G verse 4G - Speed Test

I thought the G stood for generation, and they use it as a gimmick for speed, which doesn't change.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

thats a hge difference. hows the battery life on 4g though?

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
RGD.
God Like Status

RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
thats a hge difference. hows the battery life on 4g though?
The HTC Thunderbolt has excellent reviews on everything except for battery life which really sucks big time. So when I ordered the phone I ordered the extended battery (1600ma verse 2700ma). I didn't even take the stock battery out the wrapper - just went straight to the extended. So even with the normal play with everything all day long cause it's a new phone, and with "live" wallpaper installed - at the end of the day (6am until after midnight) I still have at least a 3rd of the battery left. Seidio makes a 3500ma battery for the Thunderbolt that I may even get later.

Ron
Old 07-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

4g is faster, much faster. Buy the extended battery.
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Awesome! I am going to get a new phone next week sometime I have been thinking the TB but have also thought about waiting till the Galaxy S2 comes out...dual processor.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

i have the Charge. Badass phone.

we went to seattle last weekend and the 4g service was incredibly fast.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

Curious to see how fast it is in a year when everyone is on it.....
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

The key to the Thunderbolt with the stock battery is bump charging. I do need to pick up an additional battery especially since VZW is letting TB users pick them up at half price.
I have the Thunderbolt and I absolutely hate it. It is way too buggy for me. Half my phone calls go straight to voicemail without the phone ever ringing and apps are constantly crashing. If connected to Wi-Fi for too long it just drops the connection even though the status bar shows it is in fact getting signal not to mention every now and than it loses all data connection which can be quickly resolved by popping it in and out of airplane mode. At first I thought I received a lemon but these issues seem to be pretty common on the Driod forums. I am hoping with the next update they work the bugs out instead of just abandoning the device as newer and better devices come to market for 4G. Fingers crossed as I am stuck with this thing for a while.
I also came from Blackberry and bugs included I still would choose this over another berry device any day.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
I thought the G stood for generation, and they use it as a gimmick for speed, which doesn't change.
Define "speed". The speed at which one chip (part of a bit) flies through the air is fixed. However, what is called 4G (actually the 3GPP2 family of standards) is skewed towards data rather than voice. This means much lower overhead and bigger data packets, which results in more user data per unit time. Most people consider this better speed since the total time to transfer the same amount of user data under 3GPP2 is less than under 3GPP standards.

Note that WiMax (IEEE 802.16-2009) is the mobile broadband 4G standard and some cellular users have access to that as well. It hauls proverbial a$$.

quick edit: the ITU-T defines the standards that are 4G, but almost everyone is going with the 3GPP2 family, especially companies like TI, Nokia, ST Micro, Siemens, and the like.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
. . . I have the Thunderbolt and I absolutely hate it. It is way too buggy for me. Half my phone calls go straight to voicemail without the phone ever ringing and apps are constantly crashing.. . . At first I thought I received a lemon but these issues seem to be pretty common on the Driod forums. . . .
That does suck - sorry to hear it. So far I've had zero problems. I did have one reboot which may have been because I installed 4 programs off the Market place pretty much at the same time. But they installed correctly. I have a friend who has had his Thunderbolt for months now (first week they came out) that I talked to before getting mine and he reported on the average of at least one reboot and up to three boots a week. Other than that he has no problems. So who knows.

Ron
Old 07-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

I have the ATT Inspire which is their version of the Thunderbolt. Mine has been rock solid. The thing that pisses me off about it though is that it's sposda be 4g, but is no faster than my wife's 3g droid up and down. Of course it's really 3.5g as their LTE 4g won't come out till this Christmas, but my phone won't be able to use that network. But other than that I love the hell out of this thing.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote