Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default My First DPG "My Father" Review

Don Pepin Garcia My Father

The crème de la crème of Pepin.

Jose ‘Don Pepin’ Garcia and his son Jaime are currently crafting some of the world’s finest and most heavily sought cigars. Within just a few short years, this father-son duo has created a long list of tasty and top-rated morsels for us to savor, including Cuban Classic, Serie JJ, Tatuaje, 5 Vegas Miami, and so much more. Behold!

Let me first qualify this review. I'm a certified DPG, "Ho"! I got 2 of these beautiful sticks from Cigarbid @ $9/Stick. Rested them @ 65RH for 13 days. I usually rest most of my Pepins for 3-6 months, but this beauty was calling my name early! Beautiful dark brown stick with very few veins. Initial 1/3 revealed a very salty, Peppery taste, almost overwhelming. Some harshness evolved. Burn was somewhat uneven & required 1 touch-up at the last 1/3. Easy draw with tons of thick white smoke. The second and last 1/3 were fairly one-dimensional, a straightforward "Tobacco" taste. I didn't taste any of the creamy, Nutty, smoothness that this stick was reported to have. Tasted like a very expensive DPG "Blue", IMHO. Duration of Smoke: 50 minutes for this DPG My Father #2, Belicoso, 5.2X 54. In all fairness, I'll rest the other stick 6months & revisit it. Overall Rating: 7/10 with points taken off for uneven burn & initial "Harshness". Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Greg
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My First DPG "My Father" Review

Great review Greg...that's on my to-try list. Thanks!
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
boonedoggle
The Search is ON

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (19)
RA AirForce (Active)
boonedoggle will become famous soon enough

Nice review. It must be hard for DP and his son to top his other various blends, especially at a higher price point.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

Another great Pepin cigar! I bought a fiver of these about a year ago and have smoked all but one. The problem, for me, with this stick is that Tat Browns are in the same price range. As much as I like My Father, the Browns always end up in my humi

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
nozero

I loved the one I had. I don't recall any harshness but I agree that it was rather one dimensional and didn't get any creamy or nutty tastes either. For the price, I can find two others (at least) that I like better.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
DougBushBC

Great thread, really really enjoy My Fathers... Just smoked the Lancero, really love that smoke.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

I really enjoyed the one I got at the DPG event at Habana.

Thanks for the review.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozero View Post
I loved the one I had. I don't recall any harshness but I agree that it was rather one dimensional and didn't get any creamy or nutty tastes either. For the price, I can find two others (at least) that I like better.
Exactly! Good smoke, but they're a lot of smokes at a better price point that are "Just as Good"! Just wondering if "Anyone" found this smoke to be their favorite DPG. Thanks for the input, All!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
Rockestone
Anythings Possible

Trading: (5)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Rockestone will become famous soon enoughRockestone will become famous soon enough

Great Review Greg!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Exactly! Good smoke, but they're a lot of smokes at a better price point that are "Just as Good"! Just wondering if "Anyone" found this smoke to be their favorite DPG. Thanks for the input, All!
I have a feeling that your other one will be better after 6 months in the humi.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockestone View Post
Great Review Greg!
Thanks, Greg, but you do a much better review, Bro!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
I have a feeling that your other one will be better after 6 months in the humi.
I hope so, Ryan! Did you think it was the Best of the DPG line?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
I hope so, Ryan! Did you think it was the Best of the DPG line?
No but that is because I like the 'pepperyness' of the other DPG. I did get some kick from the one I smoked but it was more of a smooth flavor. The JJ Maduro I liked the best so far.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
No but that is because I like the 'pepperyness' of the other DPG. I did get some kick from the one I smoked but it was more of a smooth flavor. The JJ Maduro I liked the best so far.
My fav. is the "Blue". Not a big fan of strong Pepper. JJ Maduro is definitely better than the "Nat"!
Old 05-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #15
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

I've had a couple of the lanceros. While I would definitely qualify it as a "good" cigar I didn't go ape poo over them. And I'm missing the "creamy" that everyone mentions with them as well. I'll take a Cubao lancero over them any day.

rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #16
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
I've had a couple of the lanceros. While I would definitely qualify it as a "good" cigar I didn't go ape poo over them. And I'm missing the "creamy" that everyone mentions with them as well. I'll take a Cubao lancero over them any day.

I had a lancero the other day, and I'm inclined to agree: it's good, but nothing spectacular. Happened to have a Cubao lancero the next day, and I agree that they're more interesting. I liked the DPG Blue lancero better, too.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

I need to try one of these...I love pepin stuff!!!!
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #18
adampc22

this cigar i want to try
Old 05-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #19
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

The My Father is an excellent cigar. I am also a DPG fan but have not tried all his cigars yet. I had a Cuban Classic (black label) lancero last night that was just superb.

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #20
scooter

Thanks for the review.