Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default My First Fuente Fuente Opus X!

I started my usual Sunday Morning routine with my weekly pool cleaning & decided to fire up one of my Best sticks in celebration of Mother's Day. I lost my mother many years ago & wanted to reminisce about Her on this "Special Day". Received a great trade at a fantastic price on a 5'er of Fuente Fuente OpusX from Wil (Hawk 6815). Thanks again, Bro! This, I believe, was the "Super Belicoso", 5 1/2X 52. Dominican made with Dominican filler, binder, & wrapper. Beautiful medium brown in color, fantastic construction with a nice firm feel. The stick was initially difficult to light and required several touch ups, in spite of having several years of age on it and resting comfortably in my humi @ 65RH. I detected an initial spice flavor, with a hint of red cherries and nuts. Very smooth with tons of thick white smoke clouds billowing out. Draw was very easy, just like I like it! I watched my family of Cardinals around the bird feeder and a small mother sparrow meticulously building her nest in the eaves of my house on this special Mother's day! I was thoroughly enjoying this wonderful smoke! I smoked this great stick on an empty stomach with my morning coffee. ( More on that, later) Rest of the smoke was smooth, pure tobacco flavor with maybe a touch of Black Cherry & nuts returning at the last 1/3 of the smoke. I usually smoke fairly strong cigars, so I didn't think I would have any problems smoking this bad boy on an empty stomach. Wrong! Just as I was nubbing this beautiful, flavorful stick after 1 1/2 hours, I felt a strong wave of nausea & clammy sweat filling my body. Got up slowly on wobbly knees and gobbled up a handful of my emergency sugar, my old standby of "Hot Tamale" cinnamon candy. Queasiness went away quickly, but I was still a little weak in the knees after 30 minutes. Just finished a nice breakfast of toast, bacon & eggs and am feeling much better, know, Thank You! Overall rating:9/10 with one point taken off for several required relights. Fantastic smoke overall, but make sure you smoke this "BadBoy" on a full stomach! Thanks for reading my review, All, and enjoy your Mother's day with Your Mothers & Family!

Greg
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: My First Fuente Fuente Opus X!

Glad you had a great smoke, great experience and some memories of youe Mom, Greg.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review. These can be a little strong. I was smoking one one time and accidentally inhaled a very small amount and I was hacking forever.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Great review!! I haven't had one yet, but I have a couple of these stored away in my humi. You make me want to light one up but I'm holding off for a while..
Old 05-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great review...holding one of these in the humi. Makes me wwant to fire it up now.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Rockestone
Anythings Possible

Trading: (5)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Rockestone will become famous soon enoughRockestone will become famous soon enough

Great review Greg. I have spent many hours watching the birds around my feeders and bird bath while smoking cigars on my porch. One of my favorite things to do!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
reggiebuckeye
Exploring all slopes

First Name: Ummm
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Retired)
reggiebuckeye will become famous soon enough

Good review, Greg. Glad you enjoyed the smoke.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Cigary

Nice review of a great cigar. If you aren't a regular Opus smoker these cigars can affect you the way you described,,but man are they good. In the future have something on your stomach to really enjoy this cigar without the after effects.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
boonedoggle
The Search is ON

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (19)
RA AirForce (Active)
boonedoggle will become famous soon enough

nice review! I have never been a fan of these, but I know alot of people enjoy them quite a bit.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Glad you had a great smoke, great experience and some memories of your Mom, Greg.
Sounds like a nice way to start your day. I am a big fan of the Opus... at MSRP.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

I had my first Opus not long ago...a great smoke.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review Greg. I have one of these that was gifted to me by DrHalle and maybe I'll bring it to the jax herf and smoke it with him.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the review...great smoke to pick in memory of your Mom...when I read that you were smoking it on an empty stomach I giggled...those are after-a-big steak dinner smokes for me.

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnukfu View Post
Thanks for the review...great smoke to pick in memory of your Mom...when I read that you were smoking it on an empty stomach I giggled...those are after-a-big steak dinner smokes for me.
I won't do that again, George!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Nice review and you reallý identified what makes this passion of ours so special.

Reminiscing and payinG tribute to those that helped make us who we are.

Thank you for the review but more importantly thank you for sharing your words about this very special day!
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
scooter

Thanks for the review. They are good!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #17
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Great review...holding one of these in the humi. Makes me wwant to fire it up now.

Very nice review, thanks!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

very nice. thanks for sharing
Old 05-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #19
BMTA

Always a ton of oil in the wrapper, Great review!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #20
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

Great review. Thanks for sharing.
skullnrose is offline   Reply With Quote