Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
DougBushBC

Default El Triunfador

So I know that this cigar has been talked about at length, but I haven't smoked either of the two I bought yet, so I thought tonite would be a good time to do so.

Prelight:
The construction is firm, but that of course is expected from a lonsdale. The the expected spicy from DPG/Pete Johnson, with nice deep chocolate notes.

Initial Thoughts:
As soon as I started toasting it I got the overwhelming earthy goodness that it was giving off. This is the good kinda of earthy. The draw was significantly easier than expected since most lonsdales I have smoked had a more deliberate draw. The early flavors were much more mellow than some of the other DPGs I have smoked, they were earthy, chocolaty, with just a hint of spice.

Me enjoying this dark beauty.

First Third:
This cigar let off a ton of smoke, the burn was fairly even through the first third, and the flavors started to stand out a bit. As I exhaled through the nose on it, I noted the mildness of the aftertaste. This was a very positive thought, because I am not that experienced with nosing strong cigars.

Second Third:
The burn went a little awry here, but nothing a quick touch up couldn't fix. The voluminous nature of the smoke continued, and I really began enjoying this as a milder or at least medium bodied smoke. The flavors remained fairly consistent, with the addition of some nuttiness that really was only contained in this section of the cigar.

Third Third:
After the minor touch ups in the previous third, the burn was even throughout the remainder. The flavors were heightened and the heat never really accelerated. The signature spice kicked in a bit here and was a nice closure to a great smoke.

Overall:
I really enjoyed this long thin beauty. I have smoked a fair share of Cabaiguan Maduros and know that the blend is virtually the same, but I felt like this cigar tasted more refined than the CMs. I really enjoyed this cigar, and at approximately $11.00 per stick, this was a nice premium smoke.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: El Triunfador

Nice! I've got one tucked away waiting for me to enjoy it. I need to smoke it soon.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review. I love these cigars.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I can't wait to smoke mine. Thanks for the review.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I have only had a couple, but I would absolutely agree. They are a very good stick.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
DougBushBC

Totally agree, the Tat Black and Tat Frank are both better cigars, but since you can't get either anymore, this is a great smoke. Supposedly there will be a re-release of the Cabaiguan Maduro in the near future. I sure hope so because this blend with bigger sizes is fantastic.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

Very nice review. Thanks
skullnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
Cigarman

Love these cigars, Have a box resting and one that is smoking just fine
Old 05-07-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
BMTA

Got a few stashed in a locker at Club Calypso!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
scooter

Nice review, thanks.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

I'm definitley going to grab some of those. Can you compare them to either the Cubao or My Father lanceros?
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
DougBushBC

I <3 the My Father Lancero, but as a flavor profile it was closer to the Cubao. More mild less spicy than the Cubao, but a similar flavor otherwise. The My Father to me is a whole different ballpark.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Thanks bro. I'm definitely going to grab some.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
alfbacca
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Partagas
alfbacca is on a distinguished road

I love this cigar! I love the slight hint of sweetness that the wrapper gives. Thanks for the review.
alfbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #15
DougBushBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbacca View Post
I love this cigar! I love the slight hint of sweetness that the wrapper gives. Thanks for the review.
That was a shock to me, and I loved it.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
greenwit

Yeah, I bought a box too. Excellent smoke.....I'm not a big fan of lanceros.....the Triunfadors are the only ones in my humi.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #17
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
So I know that this cigar has been talked about at length, but I haven't smoked either of the two I bought yet, so I thought tonite would be a good time to do so.

Prelight:
The construction is firm, but that of course is expected from a lonsdale. The the expected spicy from DPG/Pete Johnson, with nice deep chocolate notes.

Initial Thoughts:
As soon as I started toasting it I got the overwhelming earthy goodness that it was giving off. This is the good kinda of earthy. The draw was significantly easier than expected since most lonsdales I have smoked had a more deliberate draw. The early flavors were much more mellow than some of the other DPGs I have smoked, they were earthy, chocolaty, with just a hint of spice.

Me enjoying this dark beauty.

First Third:
This cigar let off a ton of smoke, the burn was fairly even through the first third, and the flavors started to stand out a bit. As I exhaled through the nose on it, I noted the mildness of the aftertaste. This was a very positive thought, because I am not that experienced with nosing strong cigars.

Second Third:
The burn went a little awry here, but nothing a quick touch up couldn't fix. The voluminous nature of the smoke continued, and I really began enjoying this as a milder or at least medium bodied smoke. The flavors remained fairly consistent, with the addition of some nuttiness that really was only contained in this section of the cigar.

Third Third:
After the minor touch ups in the previous third, the burn was even throughout the remainder. The flavors were heightened and the heat never really accelerated. The signature spice kicked in a bit here and was a nice closure to a great smoke.

Overall:
I really enjoyed this long thin beauty. I have smoked a fair share of Cabaiguan Maduros and know that the blend is virtually the same, but I felt like this cigar tasted more refined than the CMs. I really enjoyed this cigar, and at approximately $11.00 per stick, this was a nice premium smoke.
My sentiments, exactly! Had one last week and your review is spot on! Nice, distinguished looking stick, isn't it! Thanks for the great review!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #18
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
That was a shock to me, and I loved it.
If you like that touch of sweetness, the "Illusione" line is for you!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
boonedoggle
The Search is ON

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (19)
RA AirForce (Active)
boonedoggle will become famous soon enough

These are prolly the only lancero's I have enjoyed. Actually, I've only had one of these, but the other lancero's have not been so enjoyable.