Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 05-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation
Default Re: ABC's Flash Forward

You can blame it on this for not being picked back up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlashForward_(season_1)

Look at the amount of viewers and how they drastically declined mid season.

Then compare it to this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing...U.S._season_10)

20 million viewers vs 5 million....

Big shocker which they're gonna choose to continue.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #22
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Yeah, intelligent shows rarely do well. I'm mystified by the success of Lost in a time where the average viewer is fascinated by crap like DWTS.
One of the most telling comments I read about the current season of DWTS went something like, "When you can't tell who's the star and who's the professional dancer on a team, there's a problem." Tune in next season for Obama Girl, the "Don't tase me bro" guy, and the runner-up from The Bachelorette.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #23
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

So Flash Forwards been cancelled? Bummer...
Old 05-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #24
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
You can blame it on this for not being picked back up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlashForward_(season_1)

Look at the amount of viewers and how they drastically declined mid season.
FlashForward's viewship actually declined at a steady pace through the entire season. Pilot at 12.47 million and finale at 4.96? Ouch!

As much as I enjoyed the show, the storyline was a bit convoluted and drawn out with A LOT of repetition. It's really no wonder that some people got bored and tuned out.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #25
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
As much as I enjoyed the show, the storyline was a bit convoluted and drawn out with A LOT of repetition. It's really no wonder that some people got bored and tuned out.
That may be true, but it doesn't mean that the rest of us should be forced to watch the lowest common denominator crap like America Idol and DWTS.

If the Roman Empire had TV, they would have aired shows like Idol right before the Fall.

"The decline of the Roman Empire refers to the societal collapse encompassing both the gradual disintegration of the political, economic, military, and other social institutions of Rome and the barbarian invasions that were its final doom."

We are being invaded, the economy sucks, the military is under constant threat of downsizing, and Dancing with the stars has higher ratings than a show that actually makes you think.

/rant off.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #26
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
That may be true, but it doesn't mean that the rest of us should be forced to watch the lowest common denominator crap like America Idol and DWTS.
I can't stand any of the reality shows, never have going back to that first year of "reality" crap when Survivor and Who Wants to be a Millionaire were the hottest shows going. You're quite correct in that it is lowest common domininator swill designed to appeal primarily to the drooling masses that don't want to think for themselves and prefer to have everything spoon fed to them by mass media.

That said, I fail to see how you're being forced to watch any of the drivel being force fed to the drooling class. There's lots of insightful, intelligent and thought provoking programming if you want to find it. If you can't what's to stop you from turning off the TV altogether and going out to a play or art gallery or museum or any other activity that provides stimulation? I wouldn't have said FlashForward was a particularly thought provoking show. It was a cool concept that was entertaining in a conspiracy theory kind of way that, unfortunately, got bogged down and lost in it's on storyline hence it's loss of ratings.

For the most part, intelligent and thought provoking television is just not going to be found on the traditional big networks or (to a lesser degree) the premium cable networks that are now supplanting them. Those networks are orientated entirely towards entertainment as a vector for selling commercials..... dumb attracts viewership and viewership attracts advertising. BBC, National Geographic, some of Discovery, parts of CBC, etc.... they all produce top notch programming that requires thought and intelligence to get the most of out.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #27
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
FlashForward's viewship actually declined at a steady pace through the entire season. Pilot at 12.47 million and finale at 4.96? Ouch!

ABC certainly didn't do it any favors. With a 3 month hiatus, and no reruns to let viewers refresh their memories of the convoluted plot, I'm surprised the ratings didn't drop further.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #28
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
ABC certainly didn't do it any favors. With a 3 month hiatus, and no reruns to let viewers refresh their memories of the convoluted plot, I'm surprised the ratings didn't drop further.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm pretty sure that it was only brought back after the hiatus only to play out the remaining episodes out because; a) they'd already been shot, b) there might be a revival of interest. According to the episode list that 3 month hiatus occurred after Episode 10 and by that time viewership had already dropped by almost 50% from the pilot. I remember everyone at work was really excited about it when it was first released and by Christmas no one really cared anymore. I watched it all the way through but my wife just couldn't get into it and gave up after the 3rd or 4th episode.

It didn't get canceled because it was too smart. It got canceled because the plot was too convoluted and dragged out for most people to really get into it. The finale left the story line open though, perhaps one of the smaller cable networks will pick it up and breathe new life into a second season.