Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #21
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough
Default Re: People underestimate you because of your Age?

The funny reverse of that is working retail at a cigar shop. I did it for several years, from about 22-26 and I occasionally got the reverse treatment from new customers. Generally, my lovable personality and knowledge won them over, but more than a few people questioned me when I started making suggestions and explaining various things.

Snap judgements are useful, but some people let that cloud their own judgement and overuse them.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #22
Carmack
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Collin
Trading: (6)
Carmack is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same boat. I'm turning 26 and still get carded for smokes. The positives are when you're 40, you're gonna look 25
Carmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #23
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough

I always had fun when I was working for a fairly high end cigar shop and I had these ignorant old farts coming in thinking they knew their sh*t and I'm just some useless kid that knew how to work a register.....
CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
AmsterDan
Ischn't dat Wiert?!

Trading: (0)
AmsterDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarGuy88 View Post
I always had fun when I was working for a fairly high end cigar shop and I had these ignorant old farts coming in thinking they knew their sh*t and I'm just some useless kid that knew how to work a register.....
See, that's just funny ... but you were able to give that service the store needs.

I also really don't think that a customer has to earn respect from the more knowledgeable as suggested earlier on in the comments. That would result in a youngster starting out never to know more about cigars because he/she is young and doesn't get the respect. The reverse of a customer questioning the retailer ... well, those are the cocky customers every merchant gets so once in a while.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #25
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Imagine being old like me, and they point out the bong section.
I thought that they would send you over to me in the walker section.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #26
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Someday you will look back and wish people still thought of as the young buck and not the old creepy guy ogling the college co-eds.

That's what Moe always tells me.
I am not creepy, I am discrete.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #27
backwoods357
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jorgen
Trading: (14)
backwoods357 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
It will happen When I first got into cigars I was told by some douchnozzle that I had to be 18 to buy cigars (I was 22 as well) before I even paid or was carded. I politely showed my ID and said "here you go Ahole and put these cigars back". I never went back to that B&M.
IMO being a dick in return isn't called for and just makes you look immature. We all get carded, talked to like we know nothing and watched like a hawk in the walk in, it just comes with the territory. I think once they figure out your aren't looking for the phillies to make a blunt wrap or something to commemorate your first pube, their attitude will be entirely different.
backwoods357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #28
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I never had a problem with people talking down to me

Some ironic situations here and there....but that's really about it.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #29
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
It will happen When I first got into cigars I was told by some douchnozzle that I had to be 18 to buy cigars (I was 22 as well) before I even paid or was carded. I politely showed my ID and said "here you go Ahole and put these cigars back". I never went back to that B&M.
Douchenozzle...best word in the English language, so many uses
Old 12-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #30
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
What a great word, Squid!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #31
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

As someone who works at a B&M I can see where its coming from, but I'd never do that to someone. Typically after a few months you can pick out who is going to buy what based on age, gender, and even how the dress. If I see someone younger in age go into the humidor dressed in say a fitted cap and pants half way down their ass I'll be watching them like a hawk, but were I to see that same person come in in a somewhat presentable attire(ie, khakis, polo, etc.) they'll have a lot more leeway and won't have me in the humidor with them the moment the step in. That said, if I see the guy with pants halfway down his ass come straight to the counter for some cigarettes or go look at the zippos I won't be so sketched out.

On the other hand, it is fun to see the reactions of people when I(a 20 yearold) can give you a rundown of strength and flavors of any cigar in the humidor.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #32
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Someday you will look back and wish people still thought of as the young buck and not the old creepy guy ogling the college co-eds.

That's what Moe always tells me.
Moe is wise, Aqualung.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #33
schollianmj

my thought is that if I owned a shop, and 99% of the clientele of a certain demographic buy X item, Im going to recommend X to that demographic. its not a slam to the few people in that group that want Y product, its simply called good business. now if you come in and let me know that you want Y product instead of X, then I hopefully would remember this the next time you come in.

now if the shop owner is just rude about it, then I have no reason to put up with that. I went into a shop in Las Cruces New Mexico and the owner was just rude to me. Everytime I asked about a certain stick he would act like I was an inconviance and not want to stop watching his little TV long enough to help me. He finally drove me out when he said that a young guy like me would be better buying some of the flavored cigars from 7-11. Needless to say i never came back there.

Found a different shop and every time I went in there and asked about a stick this guy would tell me a bit about it, he remembered sticks that I had already bought and would tell me how the one in question differed or compared to them, and would make recommendations. Some sticks that I asked about he would just tell me straight up that i probably wouldn't like them. To me, this makes for a great customer experience, and of course ended up me spending WAY to much money in there.... But i spent it happily.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #34
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I'm not sure there is a demographic for cigar sales. I've seen young kids buy Padrons and I've seen them buy CAO's. I've seen middle aged people by ACIDS and then some buy expensive non-flavored cigars.

I don't believe there is any correlation with age and what brand or type of cigar they like.

I tend not to make any prejudgments. Sometimes the 18-19 year old kids will really surprise you. Other times they might waste your time. Same with people of any age.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #35
backwoods357
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jorgen
Trading: (14)
backwoods357 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Typically after a few months you can pick out who is going to buy what based on age, gender, and even how they dress..
+1( on the other hand I have seen video on youtube of a middle-aged couple absolutely cleaning out a B&M (This one)) I guess you just can't trust anyone these days.

Last edited by backwoods357; 12-17-2011 at 05:53 PM.
backwoods357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #36
ysr_racer

Wow, I'm 53. It must be great to be 25 and know everything
Old 12-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #37
Ismith75
Tin Cup Chalice

First Name: Ian
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Ismith75 will become famous soon enough

I witnessed this first hand when I started smoking. Im 22 now and things have changed drastically. Usually if you wait it out, people will warm up eventually.
Ismith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #38
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I never said I knew everything haha
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #39
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Let me tell you, its awesome!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #40
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

I was not 22 when I started smoking cigars. But being a female it was always interesting to see the reaction when I came into the shop. I dont like low end flavored cigars, and when I started they still thought that was all women smoked. That has changed. It will change for you too.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote