Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 05-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #2041
dadof3illinois

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (2)
Partagas
dadof3illinois is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Did something a little different with the ribeyes tonight. At least it was different for me.
I usually just sear my steaks on the grill then turn the temp down and finish cooking over indirect heat....just like everyone was taught. Might add a little dry rub once in awhile.
Well tonight I did two things a little different, just goofing around if you will.

I took the ribeyes and put them in the smoker for about 10 mins at 170 degrees with heavy hickory smoke. Took them out put them in a thick wet marinade of brown sugar, teriyaki, orange juice and worcestershire sauce for 30 min. Then put them on a white hot grill around 550 degrees for 3 min a side.
These things were great....LOL. I don't know how but man what a steak. Loads of flavor, juicy with a nice bark all around the edges.
What makes me mad is I'll never be able to get it to turn out the same again!!!
dadof3illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #2042
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Sounds really good Jerry. How was the smoke flavor? Did it have enough with only 10 mins in the smoker?
Old 05-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #2043
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

That sounds beautiful, Jerry.
It is bachelor night here, so I don't know what I am going to do, but it will most certainly involve a large chunk of protien.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #2044
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof3illinois View Post
I don't know how but man what a steak. Loads of flavor, juicy with a nice bark all around the edges. What makes me mad is I'll never be able to get it to turn out the same again!!!
Sounds very tasty Jerry! So, simply repeat what you did today and take better mental notes and you should have it dialed in
Old 05-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #2045
dadof3illinois

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Sounds really good Jerry. How was the smoke flavor? Did it have enough with only 10 mins in the smoker?
I used hickory saw dust in my smoker to get a lot of smoke. 10 min worked pretty good. I didn't want to actually cook the meat in the smoker so i pulled it out quick. May leave it longer at lower temp next time, but I use a gas smoker and it's hard to get those low temps.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #2046
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Patrick (pfm721) finished law school this week and has been wanting to do a brisket cook before he moved away. We decided this would be the weekend.

He shows up Friday night with six full packer briskets. Figured he would get the meat ready for his party next weekend. We had a great time cooking and the briskets turned out GREAT!!! I wish I had thought of taking pics. The huge pan of burnt ends was a thing of beauty
Old 05-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #2047
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I noticed that Sams had cryopacks of Beef Tongue in their case when I visited last week. Around here, not such a common thing to see, and I think most "butchers" around here would look at you like you had 3 eyes in this White Bread, Mushroom Soup Hotdish, mac-n-cheese region if you asked for them to special order a couple.
It's a good thing, and I hope to get a couple to do something creative and delicious before they stop carrying them because nobody is buying.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #2048
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I'd be interested to hear how your prepare them Pete. There's a local Mexican grocery I go to occasionally that carries fresh beef tongue. I'd had it in tacos before and thought it was pretty good.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #2049
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Patrick (pfm721) finished law school this week and has been wanting to do a brisket cook before he moved away. We decided this would be the weekend.

He shows up Friday night with six full packer briskets. Figured he would get the meat ready for his party next weekend. We had a great time cooking and the briskets turned out GREAT!!! "I wish I had thought of taking pics." The huge pan of burnt ends was a thing of beauty
Yeah, so do we Brent

Old 05-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #2050
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I tried beef tongue 20+ years ago when my grandmother made it. I don't recall the flavor being bad, but I just didn't like the texture.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #2051
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Happy Mother's Day Smoke lovers! Threw a cryopack of Small Bone Spare Ribs on the barbie today.
The dogs were elated. These freaking things almost made me forget Baby Backs. Perfectly cooked and
not a bad smoke job either. I had some red potaatoes cooked up and mashed them with a fork, threw some Zatarain's
creole seasoning and butter on em and Mange'...mamamia these things were fantastic. have two racks to bring
to work tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mothersdayribs2.jpg (119.6 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg mothers day ribs1.jpg (122.0 KB, 561 views)
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #2052
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Ok, I gave into the peer pressure to try some baby backs...getting ready to pull them off now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbq.jpg (121.2 KB, 551 views)
Old 05-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #2053
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Ok, I gave into the peer pressure to try some baby backs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Happy Mother's Day Smoke lovers! Threw a cryopack of Small Bone Spare Ribs on the barbie today...
Great looking ribs guys
Old 05-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #2054
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

If it would stop drizzling, I am planning to do another pizza (bbq chicken).
Old 05-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #2055
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
If it would stop drizzling, I am planning to do another pizza (bbq chicken).
Speaking of pizza dough, I was over at Trader Joe's yesterday and noticed they had three varieties of pizza dough you could purchase to make a pizza. Looked like an interesting deal if one was afraid to venture and whip up a batch of dough. You ever try their dough Pete?

Old 05-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #2056
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Speaking of pizza dough, I was over at Trader Joe's yesterday and noticed they had three varieties of pizza dough you could purchase to make a pizza. Looked like an interesting deal if one was afraid to venture and whip up a batch of dough. You ever try their dough Pete?

Nope. I usually make my own from scratch.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #2057
forgop
Not a puffer

Spare ribs after 6 hours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spares.jpg (95.5 KB, 556 views)
Old 05-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #2058
dadof3illinois

Partagas

All of you have cooked up some great looking ribs. Momma wanted to go out for pasta this evening so that's what she got but I would have rather stopped by one of your houses for those ribs....LOL.

Nice job guys!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #2059
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post

I'll save you the trouble in two words: It sucks.

It used to be exceptional up until about 3-4 years ago, it would yield these great crispy chewy thin crusts. Did you ever get a chance to eat at the original Jacopo's in BH before they closed and sold the name? It was like their old crust. Very NY-ish.

So good that half the time I wouldn't even bother to make dough, I'd just buy it from them. But then they reformulated it, took out at least one of the key ingredients that gave it that fantastic texture and flavor and now, seriously, it's just crappy pulp with no flavor.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #2060
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I'll save you the trouble in two words: It sucks.
Well, big time ratz! Isn't it a *itch when change occurs? Thanks for the heads-up Adam