Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
JKim

Default J. Fuego - Gran Reserva Corojo #1

I posted this review on 6/15/2007

---------------------

I was at PuffnStuff today when I noticed some new boxes of J. Fuego cigars. I asked Al what the story was with these cigars. Basically Jesus Fuego was the Master Blender for Rocky Patel. He decided to go about things on his own. I grabbed a Corona and here are my thoughts. I'm going to steal Bob (DiscDog's) review format.

Frontmark/Vitola/Size: Gran Reserva Corojo #1 -Corona

Wrapper: Corojo Maduro (what I was told)

Binder: Proprietary

Filler: Nicaraguan, Honduran, Costa Rican

Local / Online Sources: Puff & Stuff Cigars – Decatur, GA
4 sizes available at $7.95-$10.95 per stick
Seriouscigar.com – 5 sizes available at $7.00 - $11.00/stick

First Impression: First impression. The wrapper looked like a slightly darker Cameroon with a lot of tooth. The construction on this cigar has a firm feel throughout. This construction on this cigar is great.

Prelight Draw: Surprisingly easy considering the firmness of the cigar. Tasted a little sweet spice on the tongue.

Light: Clipped with a double-guillotine toasted the foot and took the first draw.

Smoking the Cigar: The first draw hit me with a bit of pepper spice. After the first half inch or so the cigar settled into a creamy nutty profile. Blowing smoke out of the nose after the first inch produced hints of jasmine tea. I like it! There were mild hints of licorice and some other pantry spice that was familiar but could not place.

The cigar maintained this profile throughout, however the cream really picked up in the last 1/3rd for me. The best part of the smoke.

I did experience a little uneven burn at first and had to touch-up the cigar once.

Ash: Ash was a light gray that held solid.

Conclusions/Comments: I can still taste this cigar on my tongue. It woke me up on a Friday evening after work. The hints of Jasmine and Licorice make this a great cigar for me. I look forward to smoking some more in the future

My Scale for rating is as follows:
Appearance: 1-10
Construction: 1-10
Burn: 1-10
Taste: 1-10
Overall Experience: 1-60

For this cigar:
A- 9.0
C- 9.1
B- 8.6
T- 8.8
O- 53