Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 04-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #21
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Who's your team, and what they gonna do?
Hahaha, well, after 4 decades+ of picking in the top ten, I am afraid MY team is picking
DEAD LAST, YAHOOOOoooo!
So I don't expect we'll make for much news headlines, but you know what? I am still entirely satisfied
with how my Saints did last year. I couldn't be prouder. I am not sure any other team that has won
the championship feels like I do and did after it happened. It's only a football game after all. But that
mountain was HIGH for the first team Tampa Bay ever beat. That said, I'd like to see some good
defensive interior linemen be available, some O line, maybe a late round RB and a good solid linebacker
to replace Scott Fujita.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #22
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I see the Raiders trading their what, #4 pick?, to Pittsburgh for that rat$}{I+ Roethlisberger.
Maybe Denver should beat em to it?
I see Tebow coming to the Saints in the first round, and playing Fullback.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #23
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Hahaha, well, after 4 decades+ of picking in the top ten, I am afraid MY team is picking
DEAD LAST, YAHOOOOoooo!
So I don't expect we'll make for much news headlines, but you know what? I am still entirely satisfied
with how my Saints did last year. I couldn't be prouder. I am not sure any other team that has won
the championship feels like I do and did after it happened. It's only a football game after all. But that
mountain was HIGH for the first team Tampa Bay ever beat. That said, I'd like to see some good
defensive interior linemen be available, some O line, maybe a late round RB and a good solid linebacker
to replace Scott Fujita.

But I will say that the Patriots come in second in terms of tough roads to a Championship. The Pats were the doormat of the league (like the Saints) for over 40 years. They rarely fielded a team which could be considered competitive. The one reason I give the Saints the edge is because the Pats were in the big game twice before they actually won it. Both times they were unexpected participants in the game and both times they got pretty solidly trounced each time they set Superbowl records (and not in a good way).

One thing that's really different this year about the draft is the high volume of pre-draft trades. Now that there's no salary cap to worry about trades are much easier to arrange. All these trades has really re-shaped the needs of many teams and will certainly affect the order in which players fall and the value of every pick in the draft.

My one wish for my team this year is that they actually USE their 1st round pick. I hate when the Pats trade out of the 1st round. The team could REALLY use some impact players on defense especially.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #24
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Orton is decent-he just needs a WR now and they need some help on defense.
Orton blows (sorry, personal bias against him haha) Denver did pick up Brady Quinn, see if maybe he would be a better fit over there then cleveland. I certainly would start him over Kyle Orton
Old 04-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #25
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I see the Raiders trading their what, #4 pick?, to Pittsburgh for that rat$}{I+ Roethlisberger.
Maybe Denver should beat em to it?
I see Tebow coming to the Saints in the first round, and playing Fullback.
Ummm yeah the Raiders said they weren't interested this morning ... I guess since he wasn't found guilty he couldn't cut it as a Raider ....
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #26
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
My one wish for my team this year is that they actually USE their 1st round pick. I hate when the Pats trade out of the 1st round. The team could REALLY use some impact players on defense especially.
I think you kind of set it up for success this year, in that the Pats had a knack of making
cast off players work out to fit their scheme, and they could achieve a lot more with less,
at least to a greater degree than most teams in the league. All this "junk" would go to
Foxboro and end up looking like Gold.
This year they looked oddly beaten.
I think that will lead them to use that pick, lol.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #27
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
I guess since he wasn't found guilty he couldn't cut it as a Raider ....
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...hehe.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #28
OLS
Suck It

I thought I was the only one who thought the Bears Broncos trade was just $hit being traded for $hit.
You send your crap over here and we'll send out crap over there, and we'll find out if it's just the altitude.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #29
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
Orton blows (sorry, personal bias against him haha) Denver did pick up Brady Quinn, see if maybe he would be a better fit over there then cleveland. I certainly would start him over Kyle Orton
Right-Brady Quinn, a former first round draft pick that led his team to a 5-11 record with the 32nd ranked passing offense in the NFL.

Orton is far from a top 10 QB, but he's not in the bottom 10 either.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #30
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

As a Broncos fan, I am not worried about the QB situation.... I do have concerns about who their potential QB's are going to throw to though.....

The Broncos have MANY, MANY needs, but QB is not one of them.....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #31
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
As a Broncos fan, I am not worried about the QB situation.... I do have concerns about who their potential QB's are going to throw to though.....

The Broncos have MANY, MANY needs, but QB is not one of them.....

You can make many other improvements that would be much more significant upgrades than what the Broncos could get ahead of Orton. I think Quinn was brought in to compete for the starting job, but given how bad Simms was, he was primarily brought in to hold a clipboard.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #32
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Broncos musta thought different, as did I.

Yay Tebow!!!! I hope that works out!

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #33
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Broncos musta thought different, as did I.

Yay Tebow!!!! I hope that works out!
Tebow? He's already reached his ceiling. Excellent college player, but virtually every facet of his game translates to mediocre at the NFL. Dumb move IMO.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #34
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Tebow? He's already reached his ceiling. Excellent college player, but virtually every facet of his game translates to mediocre at the NFL. Dumb move IMO.
Expect him to run their wild cat-type offense. I am shocked he went 1st round.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #35
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

My Bills need a QB and what do they draft??? A RB...nothing wrong at all with CJ SPiller, but Clausen would have been a perfect fit. Oh well...another cold season in Buffalo.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #36
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
I personally don't see him even moving into the #2 spot ahead of Quinn.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #37
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
I was stunned that Tebow went in the 1st round. I'm also surprised that Denver traded for a 2nd first round pick.

Quote:
I think you kind of set it up for success this year, in that the Pats had a knack of making
cast off players work out to fit their scheme, and they could achieve a lot more with less,
at least to a greater degree than most teams in the league. All this "junk" would go to
Foxboro and end up looking like Gold.
This year they looked oddly beaten.
I think that will lead them to use that pick, lol.
I think the reason the Patriots did so well with cast off players in the past was that they were running different schemes than everyone else. Now half the league is running a 3-4 defense and/or has an ex-Patriot as the GM or coach.

Well the Pats did pick in the 1st round this year. They just traded down two times first. UGH!!! No offense to the player they took (I know nothing about him) but I wish they would be a little more agressive in the draft. Now that there's no salary cap there's not really an advantage in using this strategy. I'm just tired of the Pats drafting mediocre players. We need IMPACT players.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #38
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

I am a pretty positive guy as far as my teams go....and have nothing good to say about the Broncos draft....

I hope the powers that be prove me wrong....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #39
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Right-Brady Quinn, a former first round draft pick that led his team to a 5-11 record with the 32nd ranked passing offense in the NFL.

Orton is far from a top 10 QB, but he's not in the bottom 10 either.
lets not forget he was not the only starter for that team last season. Not that he had a standout year regardless, but I'd take him over Orton
Old 04-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #40
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I've been a Broncos fan for over 20 years - Orton has potential, Tebow, I'm not sure about. It reminds me of Warner/Leinart but our version of Warner just hasn't quite gotten there yet (partially due to options).

I'm optimistic because I have no choice. Go Broncos!
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote