Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #61
lou2row

Default Re: Blind ten spot review Part Two

Let's recap:

#1.
Andy: okay
EEE: meh
Cigar: 5 Vegas limitada 2006

#2.
Andy: liked it
EEE: liked it
Cigar: Alec Bradley Medalist

#3.
EEE: hated it
Cigar: 5 Vegas A

#4.
Andy: yard gar (called Gurkha)
EEE: yard gar
Cigar: Gurkha X-Fuerte

#5.
EEE: liked it
Cigar: La Cuna no. 85

#6.
Andy:just okay
EEE: just okay
Cigar: Diablo

#7.
Andy:
EEE:
Cigar:

#8.
Andy: really liked it
EEE: meh after first third
Cigar: Por Larranga Cuban Grade

#9.
Andy:
EEE:
Cigar:

#10.
Andy:
EEE: unreviewed due to high humidity
Cigar:
Old 09-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #62
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Three more to go. I was hoping to get to it on this three day weekend, but it seems I'm coming down with a cold, which effects my tastebuds greatly. If I reviewed one now, I know it'll just taste like cardboard. Hope this bug doesn't last long. I still can't wait to try out #9.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #63
lou2row

For #7 and #9, if any of the spectators can guess the cigar before I give the final answer, I'll hit them with a nice fiver.

I'll wait 24 hours from when Andy and E post their reviews before I tell what they are to see if anyone gets it right.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #64
EEE

talk about putting the pressure on us to give reviews that define the cigar well enough!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #65
lou2row

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEE View Post
talk about putting the pressure on us to give reviews that define the cigar well enough!!!

You guys have been doing a good job so far IMO. I think if people had been guessing, they may have hit one or two by now.

Just trying to add a little something to see interest level on this.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #66
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Still have this cold, so no reviews this weekend. Tastebuds are screwed right now.

Insert quote here.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #67
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Still have this cold, so no reviews this weekend. Tastebuds are screwed right now.

Perfect time to smoke PIs and Gurkhas!
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #68
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Perfect time to smoke PIs and Gurkhas!

Insert quote here.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #69
lou2row

Hey Mark, he has a 1 in 3 chance to hit the Gurkha! And I don't think I even own a PI. Had a couple, tried em, were not my thing.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #70
occasionalsmoke

Thumbs up Re: Blind ten spot review Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou2row View Post
You guys have been doing a good job so far IMO. I think if people had been guessing, they may have hit one or two by now.

Just trying to add a little something to see interest level on this.
FWIW. Hooked. Newbie here. Awesome fun and great reviews. This and the orig. thread made me become certified and processed.

Keep it going!

Lack the experience and taste buds to participate in any other way than

O. Smoke
Old 09-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #71
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasionalsmoke View Post
FWIW. Hooked. Newbie here. Awesome fun and great reviews. This and the orig. thread made me become certified and processed.

Keep it going!

O. Smoke
Thanks

I've almost got my tastebuds back, now waiting for the cough to go away. Then I'll be back to review the final three.

Insert quote here.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #72
lou2row

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasionalsmoke View Post

Keep it going!

O. Smoke
O.S., all it takes is a little time and patience to focus on what the flavors mean to you. Sometimes trying unbanded cigars makes you do it, since the preconceptions are taken away. All is left is your own opinion. And in the end, that is all that matters to your personal enjoyment anyways.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #73
EEE

guys, sorry for the major dealy here. All of my family is on the West coast and we had a major family issue that took me out there immediately and I am just getting back. I swear I'll have the last of these cigars smoked this weekend.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #74
lou2row

No problem Bro. Hope everything is okay with the family.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #75
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Hope everything is ok, Eric.

I smoked #7 this morning; hope to have the review up tomorrow afternoon.

Insert quote here.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #76
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Cigar #7

Construction: 6.5 x 50 torpedo, dark brown wrapper

Pre-Light Draw: Not much flavor detectable

First Third: The first inch was horrid. Bitterness and ammonia is strong. I was tempted to put this stick down, but I figured I would struggle through so I can give it a full review. Ammonia settled down and was replaced by leathery and earthy flavors. I'm not a big fan of earthy flavor, but at least it wasn't ammonia.

Second Third: Very earthy still, but some sweetness is mixed in as well. The sweetness is almost like a Smores bar. Marshmallow and chocolate are detectable. This cigar isn't bad anymore.

Final Third: Marshmallow and chocolate dissapear and the earthy/leatheriness is the only flavor detectable.

Final Thoughts: Although the first third was horrible, the rest of the cigar wasn't bad. I'm not a fan of earthiness, but I did enjoy the marshmallow and chocolate pairing in the second third. Would I smoke this cigar again? No offense meant, but probably not.

EDIT: I would guess that this is the second Gurkha.

Insert quote here.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #77
lou2row

I think I did a full review (not blind) of this cigar a while ago. If I can find it, I'l add it to my notes when I post it's identity.

Glad your feeling better, my friend!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #78
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou2row View Post
I think I did a full review (not blind) of this cigar a while ago. If I can find it, I'l add it to my notes when I post it's identity.

Glad your feeling better, my friend!
Thank you. Glad to be smoking again.

Insert quote here.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #79
EEE

Smoked my last 2 this weekend.........

#7 (torp)

pre-draw - air, too much, lose draw. Slight tobacco

Initial light: Easy to take hold of the fire, copious amounts of smoke. I get (yes, I'm serious here) the after taste of fruity pebbles cereal. (blech) chalky/sweet

First third - burn is straight, ash is average, very average cigar taste - I actually told my wife as I started this "it's almost like when you first light up a pipe and aren't getting the taste yet - just tobacco" I think the draw was just too loose for my palate's liking.

Second third - for me this was a one dimensional stick, as far as taste goes. "cigar" My wife said that it didn't have much of an aroma either. She is probably a better indicator on the aroma side of my reviews - she often sits with me or goes on walks with me while I smoke and tells me what she thinks (good and bad).

Last third - the stick just isn't eventful. Its fair, and every third/fourth draw I get a pleasant citrusy taste but it never stays. Never had any issues with burn as it stayed straight. The draw stayed too loose for my liking but I would have to have a couple more to see if it was that single stick or something with the make-up of the line.

For me this was barely average which I wouldn't spend more that $3-4 on.

----------------------------------------------------------

#9 (box press)

I instantly think Mayorga when I pull out this small ring gauged box pressed stick. Though I personally don't know if they come in wrappers outside of jet black - which this one wasn't.

Pre-draw - rich tobacco & bitter on the back of my tongue

Initial light - nice. Interesting coffee and dark dark chocolate taste - that definitely coincides with my pre-draw taste.

First third - the ash is super weak on this, falls off at a butterfly's wing flap. Taste has subdued considerably but still get the dark chocolate undertone.

Second third - good burn, horrid ash, becoming less and less chocolate and more bitter.

Last third - purge, draw, ash fall, taste burnt chocolate, repeat ......... though I must have been hypnotized as I literally nubbed this thing down as far as I could go. Hmmm.

Maybe I have two sides of my smoking brain fighting each other on this. One side isn't impressed at all with the ash and just wants to trash it, doesn't like the burnt chocolate -- but the other side finds it interesting and wants to continue to see where it goes......

I'm not sure I'd buy this cigar but definitely would smoke it again if gifted.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #80
EEE

Lou,

Thank you very much for the chance to participate in these reviews. It has been fun for me to get back into these. I look forward to more interaction with you good sir.