Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 07-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #2521
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Three racks of backs on the smoker this morning. This will be my yearly trip down the "Five hours of labor,
five minutes of gluttony" aspect of meat smoking that many of you see about half the time or more. Feeding many
hungry mouths tomorrow night.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #2522
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Here are the 9 racks of BBR's off of the smoker.
Great looking ribs Duane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Cranked up 8 chicken legs and a small butt today.
Quote:
Yummy yummy. Chicken legs and short ribs, done to a turn!
All that meat looks Brad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
I cooked up some chicken thighs on my new UDS.
I agree with Brent. That UDS rocks

Nothing in the smoker today, but I do have a 3lb pork shoulder swimming underneath some A&W root beer in the slow cooker. Pulled pork sandwiches later this afternoon
Old 07-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #2523
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

That old tray, pfft...

THIS is the real attraction of the weekend. I might get two bones off of this....There is another rack out of sight
But it would not frame up very attractively in the end. But there is another as Yoda said. I get to spend time with
my larger extended family as they tell me how awesome my ribs are. Outside of the cooler temperaturtes at elevation,
can you imagine a greater start to a week in the Smokies? I sure can't. That white powder on the top is a combination
of onion powder and garlic powder with some kosher salt. I try not to add these items to the rub pre-cook. They die a black death.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smokies ribs.jpg (125.8 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg Smokies ribs2.jpg (124.5 KB, 367 views)

Last edited by OLS; 07-31-2011 at 12:06 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #2524
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That old tray, pfft...

THIS is the real attraction of the weekend. I might get two bones off of this....There is another rack out of sight
But it would not frame up very attractively in the end. But there is another as Yoda said. I get to spend time with
my larger extended family as they tell me how awesome my ribs are. Outside of the cooler temperaturtes at elevation,
can you imagine a greater start to a week in the Smokies? I sure can't. That white powder on the top is a combination
of onion powder and garlic powder with some kosher salt. I try not to add these items to the rub pre-cook. They die a black death.
Damn son!....Looking good Brad!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #2525
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

I was happy to have some free time today....3 racks of bb's, 2 fatties, and some Italian sausage....smoked over lump with some cherry wood...rasberry chipotle glaze to finish....

Old 07-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #2526
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Keith... you done yourself proud!!!! I really have a hard time believing you aren't from the south!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #2527
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

4 lb pork shoulder, potatoes and apple backed beans!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #2528
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Looking good Keith, I'm going to try to do some fattys soon.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #2529
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Anyone like watching BBQ Pitmasters? I like it-I think I've picked up a couple of pointers from watching it. It's funny watching how they talk trash to one another. I can't imagine how these people travel all over doing these competitions all the time because by the time you pay for equipment, gas, meat, etc, you really have to hit $1k+ every time out just to break even. Has anyone ever tried any of their food?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #2530
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Anyone like watching BBQ Pitmasters? I like it-I think I've picked up a couple of pointers from watching it. It's funny watching how they talk trash to one another. I can't imagine how these people travel all over doing these competitions all the time because by the time you pay for equipment, gas, meat, etc, you really have to hit $1k+ every time out just to break even. Has anyone ever tried any of their food?
I liked the first season. The way they can do it, is because competition only helps them to charge more for the real money maker.... catering. Most all of the big boys do catering. They also have BBQ sauces, smokers, etc that they get money from as well. Winning competitions just allow them to charge more.

Cooking for competition and cooking for home eating are two different worlds entirely.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #2531
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Cooking for competition and cooking for home eating are two different worlds entirely.
I agree. While I know that Myron Mixon can definately cook hog, I was seriously underwhelmed when I ate at Jack's Old South in Vienna.

My
Old 08-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #2532
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Has anyone ever tried any of their food?
I have competed against a lot of the big names in the south and some from out west. My partner on our cook team is good friends with Myron Mixon so we have been next to his cook site quite a few times. The man can flat cook some competition BBQ!!! The guy that cooks with him, Dobie, is one heck of a cook as well. I have eaten Myrons competition food many times and it is very good. You always feel good when you beat him and he has always been gracious either way.

I have only seen the show a couple of times and haven't talked to Myron about it. I figured they made him out to be the "bad guy" just because he does always dress in all black and kind of fits the bill.

Wayne and Steve are correct though... cooking for a competition is nothing like what you do at home. A restaurant could never afford to put the time/effort/money into what is done for a competition.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #2533
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

A nice 7 to 7 1/2 lb pork shoulder
Just about 2/3's the way done when I just checked it.
Pics to follow.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #2534
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Bought my first smoker this week (still waiting for the side firebox to come in) and after seasoning it, broke it in with a few racks of ribs. Did them over a water pan of apple juice and water and spritzed them with straight juice throughout the cook. Turned out really well for my first outing.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #2535
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Going for some chicken quarters tonight.
Grabbed a couple of premade rubs out the cupboard and mixed up another one for those who don't like things too hot. Made with some awesome paprika from a Polish deli around the corner, some mustard, garlic and other spices. Everything sitting in the fridge now awaiting the grill.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #2536
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
Going for some chicken quarters tonight.
nice! Thats what we had last night. I brined mine about 4-5 hours first though, and used a shelf bought rub on mine. I didnt fire up the smoker, I cheated and used the grill with some pecan on the coals. Cooked about 2.5 hours like this and they turned out great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0844.jpg (108.5 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0846.jpg (107.5 KB, 385 views)

Bráithreachas Thar Gach Ní
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #2537
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I smoked two, eight-pound pork butts on Friday with hickory and Plowboy's Rub. They turned out awesome. And now there's a bunch in the freezer for a "rainy day."
Old 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #2538
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I liked the first season. The way they can do it, is because competition only helps them to charge more for the real money maker.... catering. Most all of the big boys do catering. They also have BBQ sauces, smokers, etc that they get money from as well. Winning competitions just allow them to charge more.

I get that competition is a lot different than home. I see myron has a cookbook out, but there's no way he reveals all of his secrets. It's just funny watching how much effort they put in the box building when I could care less about the appearance as long as the taste is there.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #2539
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I get that competition is a lot different than home. I see myron has a cookbook out, but there's no way he reveals all of his secrets. It's just funny watching how much effort they put in the box building when I could care less about the appearance as long as the taste is there.
Well in judging BBQ taste is not the only factor. Here is a breakdown of the scoring/judging:

http://www.americanroyal.com/Default.aspx?tabid=370

Remember too that the judges for these events are eating a ton of meat over the course of a judging session. They usually only take 1 bite. That one bite has to have all the flavor and power to WOW them.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #2540
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
I have a series of videos that KCBS put out several years ago with Tom Lilly and a couple of other pro-circuit cookers. It's kindo interesting hearing what the guys tell you they are putting in thier rubs and injections. It's a lot like listening to someone tell you about thier favorite fishing spots; it's what they don't tell you that should speak louder than what they do tell you!