Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default J. Fuego Origen Maduro

Name: Origen Maduro by J Fuego
Size: 6 x 50
Filler: Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico
Binder: Costa Rica
Wrapper: Brazil
Price: ?
Date Purchased: 3/14/2012
Quantity Purchased: 1

Date: 3/14/2012

J. Fuego is having an Origen Maduro prerelease event here at Fox Cigar Bar here in Gilbert, AZ. They are offering 6 cigars including the new Origen Maduro along with a limited Lagunitas beer for $25. I decided to come try it out and write a review while I drink the Lagunitas.

Prelight:
This cigar appears to be about toro size and has a dark oily wrapper with some veins and a single cap. One larger vein runs through the entire wrapper. I'm smoking in a crowded cigar lounge and the smoke in the air is making it difficult to smell the tobacco from the foot so I can't really comment on the tobacco aroma. On the prelight draw I get a tingling pepper sensation on my lips and the draw seems just right.

1st Third:
The cigar starts out very smooth and mild in both body and strength. The first inch or so produced light wood and grass flavors. The burn hasn't been perfect, but touchups haven't been required either. The salt and pepper ash held for about 1.5" before I opted to roll it off into the ashtray.

2nd Third:
In the second third the burn starts to have some issues, but they resolved on their own without requiring any touching up. The woody and grassy flavors have evolved into more of a barnyard flavor. I'm also starting to detect some mid notes of cream. The body is more mild-medium and the strength remains mild. So far, the cigar just doesn't have a lot of flavor.

Last Third:
The cigar is finally starting to build some flavor and I'm really enjoying it. The body and strength are both now medium. The barnyard is barely present and I taste more of a rich, creamy and toasty tobacco flavor. Towards the very end I'm also getting some slight mocha and I'm finally detecting some sweetness from the Maduro wrapper. The burn still isn't great, but still tolerable.

Final Thoughts:
Overall I enjoyed the Origen Maduro, but the first two thirds of the cigar were very mild and lacking flavor. I doubt I will be purchasing too many more in the future, but I would definitely recommend them to someone looking for a mild and smooth profile. I'm giving the cigar a 6/10. If more of the cigar resembled the last third I would have scored it higher. Jesus was a stand up guy and Fox put on a great event. I left with a lot of cigars and a bundle of the Original 5 packs.

Total smoke time: 80 minutes

Score: 6/10

Last edited by ApexAZ; 03-15-2012 at 11:01 AM.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Gooner
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chris
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gooner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: J. Fuego Origen Maduro

Thanks for the review Brian!
Gooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

Cool review! I'm a big fan of the original Origen, so I will definitely be putting these on my try list!
TJtorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Another maduro to add to the "need to try" list.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Another maduro to add to the "need to try" list.
I got an extra one as a bonus from my bundle purchase. PM me your addy and I will put it in the mail tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
I got an extra one as a bonus from my bundle purchase. PM me your addy and I will put it in the mail tomorrow.
Brian...thanks for the offer, but I head outta town for two weeks on business this weekend. Wife isn't too good at putting sticks away...her tetris skills aren't up to par.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Nice review, thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Well if I still have it in 2 weeks I'll let you know. Have a safe trip!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
Well if I still have it in 2 weeks I'll let you know. Have a safe trip!
Thanks Brian...+1 to your rep brother!!