Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
Bad Finger

Default PIO Resurrection Robusto Review

Cigar: PIO Resurrection

Size: 5 x 50rg

Filler: Dominican Republic, Nicaragua

Binder: Ecuador

Wrapper: Mexico

Price: $8.75 msrp.

Pre-Light: This box-pressed, Robusto sized beauty comes to us from PIO cigars of Miami, Fl. It has a flawless chocolate colored brown wrapper that displays lots of beautiful flecks of plume. I’m unsure of the processes and time that PIO uses to create and age their cigars, but the presentation seems to say that this cigar is to be desired.

Light: The first draws present a salty taste that reminds me of the Oregon coastline. As I lick my lips, I find the saltiness is there as well.This cigar is much sweeter than what I had envisioned for it. Even at an inch in, the saltiness is still present.

1/3rd: Many floral notes and sweetness start to show up as I near the two inch mark. The burn starts to run a bit down the left side as a few specks of spice start to show up on the back of my tongue. The cigar presents a dry cocoa powder flavor that tastes as if it is encrusted in a salty rind.

½ Way: The salted flavors of this cigar make the other flavors drown out a bit. Much like food, adding the right amount of salt will enhance flavors. Adding too much over powers it a bit and makes it “salty”. This cigar is salty. The warm tobacco flavors and bit of spice have subsided for a note of woodiness and leather. The burn is very even now, and the draw is perfect. As we reach the final third, I start to notice that the cigar has gotten a bit soft now that it is heating up.

Final 3rd: As I start the final third of this cigar, I note that the cigar has been picking up a bit a bit of a fermented pipe tobacco flavor. As I look into the ashtray I notice that the ash itself has been a bit off color, having a slight amber hue when looking down the ash at an angle in the light. Upon viewing it straight on, it just looks of a dark grey and yellow.

Final Thoughts: I’m at an impasse with this cigar. It burns very well, and has good note, but the salty essence that runs throughout the cigar distracts from the overall pleasure. While a very pleasurable smoke, I tend to think that a few months to a year of age on this cigar would do it a world of good. The flavor profiles are very nice and any true cigar smoker would appreciate this stick as a high-quality offering from a lesser-known brand. They just need a bit of time to be appreciated properly.

For the photos and final score, go to dailytobacconist.com