Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Navarre double corona

A few years ago the French puro Navarre was launched. The tobacco was grown in the south of France under control of Cuban growers and the cigars were rolled by Cubans too. About a year or two ago they went under and much to my surprise I saw a Navarre booth at the Intertabac trade show. The representative told me that the company was restarted and gave me a 9x52 double corona in a glass tube with a cork stop.

The cigar has a great construction and looks awesome. The chocolate brown wrapper is silky and is so oily that it shines. I only see a few thin veins. I smell a mild horse stable smell. The predraw is a bit tights and I taste tobacco and raisin. I like the red simple band.

I taste dry earthy flavors with leather, coffee and a honey sweetness. After three quarters of an inch I taste honeysweet earthy flavors. After two inch I get a dry and bit musty wood, hay and some honey. After a third I taste some marzipan with herbs and wood. The cigar is mild spicy too.

Halfway I taste some spicy herbs with a marzipan sweetness. It is a bit hard to keep the cigar burning so I cut an extra ⅛ of an inch off the cigars which helps. I taste lavender. After two thirds I taste a lot of black pepper with some earthy flavors. The aftertaste is lavender freshness. With two inch to go I had enough and let the cigar die in the ashtray.

This cigar lasted me for three hours. The draw is good but the smoke is a bit poor. The burn is oké, I have some minor issues with the crooked burn and halfway the cigar gets hard to keep lit. The dark ash isn't firm at all. This cigar is medium flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? It all depends on the price

Appearance: 9 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Navarre double corona

Thanks for the review. Not a huge fan of black pepper but the rest of the flavors sound enticing!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Hummm....thanks for the review
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review, and is a long stick.