Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 06-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Selig Won't Reverse Call

The umpire, Jim Joyce, apologized to Gallaraga and admitted he made a bad call, and the video shows that the runner was beat by the throw, but Selig won't reverse the call that cost Galarraga a perfect game. I'd love to know his reasoning for not changing the call. Stupid.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/0...ct-game-blown/

Can't say I'd want to be Joyce when he takes the field tonight.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Selig Won't Reverse Call

At least Joyce did admit his fault, I agree the call should be reversed. I still like the idea of a challenge flag like the NFL
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Selig is an a$$hole. He is not man enough to do the right thing.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping he wouldn't reverse it. It's baseball. It's the way she goes.
The whole game relies on the human element, it's what it is. A metaphor for life.
Sometimes we get screwed in life. So goes it in baseball. That's what makes it baseball.
Gallaraga really got hosed awful, and this call being at the end of the game, it was the perfect time to start that "change a call" crap. I was afraid Selig would cave.
This game will be far more famous than any of the other perfect games, being "The Perfect Game That Never Was". It's in it's own category.
I'll never forget this one. I remember Halladay threw one this year, and someone else.
Being my point, I already forgot. And I live, eat, and breathe baseball. Have all my life.
I hope they never add video anything to baseball. It's Selig's job to protect that, and to make sure it stays the way it always was. A perfect game played by imperfect people.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Amen. Yeah, it was a blown call. I feel bad for him, the ump, both teams, and fans everywhere. But, $#!+ happens . . . and had it happened in the 3rd inning, you wouldn't even know about it today.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

There is no basis for reversing the call after the game is over. Joyce apologized, Leyland and Gallaraga accepted. Done. Fini.

If they had reversed it would set a dangerous precedent that would go far beyond the existing rulebook.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
SaltyMcGee
Gone munting...

First Name: Jared
Trading: (3)
SLR
SaltyMcGee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Amen. Yeah, it was a blown call. I feel bad for him, the ump, both teams, and fans everywhere. But, $#!+ happens . . . and had it happened in the 3rd inning, you wouldn't even know about it today.
I'm not sure about that. It might not have been as dramatic, but if he blew the call early and the pitcher went on to be perfect we'd definitely hear about it. This is all a part of the larger debate about replay in baseball. Those who are for it use ANY excuse to make their argument. This incident would have been perfect whenever it happened during the game, but the argument is only strengthened since it occurred in the bottom of the 9th.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Tigers awarded Gallaraga a new Corvette before the game....Gallaraga is such a good guy, and he was floored by the gesture.

He also was sent to being the line-up to the umpire at home plate...who happened to be Joyce today. Joyce apologized again, his eyes full of tears.

I am glad Gallaraga is taking it well, and not letting it ruin his life that way Milt Pappas did almost 4 decades ago...he still freaks out about it in every interview he does to this day.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
The whole game relies on the human element, it's what it is. A metaphor for life.
Sometimes we get screwed in life. So goes it in baseball. That's what makes it baseball.
Gallaraga really got hosed awful, and this call being at the end of the game, it was the perfect time to start that "change a call" crap. I was afraid Selig would cave.
This game will be far more famous than any of the other perfect games, being "The Perfect Game That Never Was". It's in it's own category.
I'll never forget this one. I remember Halladay threw one this year, and someone else.
Being my point, I already forgot. And I live, eat, and breathe baseball. Have all my life.
I hope they never add video anything to baseball. It's Selig's job to protect that, and to make sure it stays the way it always was. A perfect game played by imperfect people.
Well said, Scott.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Tigers awarded Gallaraga a new Corvette before the game....Gallaraga is such a good guy, and he was floored by the gesture.

He also was sent to being the line-up to the umpire at home plate...who happened to be Joyce today. Joyce apologized again, his eyes full of tears.

I am glad Gallaraga is taking it well, and not letting it ruin his life that way Milt Pappas did almost 4 decades ago...he still freaks out about it in every interview he does to this day.
The backstory should be the "Real Story" in how one identifies what is more important. Joyce made a bad call but not because of intent but rather because he's a human and made an error after it was shown to him he made a mistake. His feelings afterward show a man who still has character even though he made a mistake...he admitted it and was sorrowful and repentant to Gallarga who knew immediately from the way Joyce expressed himself in words and action. Nobody or anything is infallible...baseball is like a "life teacher" in that you do things to the best of your ability and be true to yourself without benefit of "do overs" and time outs or "red flags"...imagine real life imitating this. We're supposed to learn from our mistakes and if you start putting up "red flags/time outs" you lose the real essence of the game and real life.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

It's baseball. Played by people and refereed by people. The ump blew it. The game is over. The ump can't change the call. It is in the books, but by damn, the commissioner should be able to change the error. I'm all for all for not changing baseball from the way it has been played all these years. But Selig should protect the integrity of the game.

From Wikipedia:
Integrity in modern ethics
In a formal study of the term "integrity" and its meaning in modern ethics, law professor Stephen L. Carter sees integrity not only as a refusal to engage in behavior that evades responsibility[citation needed], but also as an understanding of different modes or styles in which discourse attempts to uncover a particular truth.[citation needed]
Carter writes that integrity requires three steps: "discerning what is right and what is wrong; acting on what you have discerned, even at personal cost; and saying openly that you are acting on your understanding of right from wrong." He regards integrity as being distinct from honesty.[5]

# [5] Carter, Stephen L (1996). Integrity. New York: BasicBooks/HarperCollins. pp. 7, 10. ISBN 0-06-092807-7. On page 242 Carter credits influence "to some extent by the fine discussion of integrity in Martin Benjamin's book Splitting the Difference: Compromise and Integrity in Ethics and Politics (Lawrence University Press of Kansas, 1990).

Do the right thing, Bud, you're the commissioner.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaga View Post
But Selig should protect the integrity of the game.
And I would argue that he DID maintain the integrity of the game, by NOT changing the call. It all depends on how one chooses to parse it.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

When is Pete Rose going to get inducted? This call isn't getting reversed.
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And I would argue that he DID maintain the integrity of the game, by NOT changing the call.
Agreed.
He just upheld the trust of his position. It's not even arguable. Bud simply did what he's supposed to do.
It still made me hold my breath when I read the story this morning. It's tough to do the right thing when everyone is staring at you to make the decision that will make everyone happy.
More baseball life-ism in Bud's actions, too.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #15
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thank God, I'm not the only one who feels this way....

I'm still seriously curious as to why nobody is getting on Miguel Cabrerra's case.

If he lets the second baseman make what is obviously his play, this isn't even an issue.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #16
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
They already have. Close home runs can be challenged with a video replay, if that's the case already I can't see why a bang bang play at a pivotal point of the game couldn't. Worse things have happened than this, a World Series was lost in 85 over a bad call. The human element is one thing, but personally I hate to see baseball history altered in this way. Galarraga threw a perfect game, I hope Selig gets some sense in him and overturns the call.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #17
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
And I would argue that he DID maintain the integrity of the game, by NOT changing the call. It all depends on how one chooses to parse it.
Quote:
Agreed.
He just upheld the trust of his position. It's not even arguable. Bud simply did what he's supposed to do.
It still made me hold my breath when I read the story this morning. It's tough to do the right thing when everyone is staring at you to make the decision that will make everyone happy.
More baseball life-ism in Bud's actions, too.
Making the arguments that you have made about baseball being like life and "life like baseball ain't fair", tells me you are avid fans of the game. I've made the same argument, no I've told my players many times "That's baseball. Man up..." However I'm LOL at the image of baseball fans who obviously love the game, the history of the game and defend the integrity of the game, defending Bud Selig. When has Bud ever had the integrity of the game as his prime or any semblance of his auxiliary motivation? Well, I will grant you the fact that Pete Rose still isn't in the HOF can be used as an example, but I'll claim that was Fay Vincent's doing and Bud didn't have the cojones to change it....
if this seems directed at yens, but as you might be able to tell, I'm not to fond of B.Selig......

(so, how 'bout that DH crap? When are they going to get rid of that sh!t??? )
Old 06-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #18
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
They already have. Close home runs can be challenged with a video replay, if that's the case already I can't see why a bang bang play at a pivotal point of the game couldn't. Worse things have happened than this, a World Series was lost in 85 over a bad call. The human element is one thing, but personally I hate to see baseball history altered in this way. Galarraga threw a perfect game, I hope Selig gets some sense in him and overturns the call.
I totally forgot about the homerun camera rule. That just started a couple years ago. They put cameras in all the parks.
That was also tried a number of years ago, like ten or fifteen, and then it was shot down.
I can see the argument for it, boundaries are not "the human element", so use what you have. Especially when foul poles are so hard to tell if the ball went over the fence inside the park.
Boundary calls cause derision between umpires, too. Two guys see it "in", two guys see it "out".
I can honestly say that I don't know if I like it or not. If I had a vote, I'd say "leave it out, period." It makes more sense that way.

Here's the thing...
Use instant replay to overrule a base ump's calls, then you need to use it to over rule home plate calls. Then balls and strikes.
Now it's football.
Plus there are years and years or footage of bad calls. Fix them, make adjustments to the games, and some teams don't make it to the playoffs that claimed the title.
Fair is fair, right?
It creates a mess that never ends. Without it, no mess. Just the day to day mess that emulates life.
If anything is precious in the game of baseball, it's the stats. How many *'s do the record books need?

I should probably also add, it's a game. Even if it's had lots and lots and lots of dollars thrown at it to make it a business, it's still a game.
All things said, it really doesn't amount to a dip of sh!t, regardless of how serious we like to let it make us feel.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaga View Post
Making the arguments that you have made about baseball being like life and "life like baseball ain't fair", tells me you are avid fans of the game. I've made the same argument, no I've told my players many times "That's baseball. Man up..." However I'm LOL at the image of baseball fans who obviously love the game, the history of the game and defend the integrity of the game, defending Bud Selig. When has Bud ever had the integrity of the game as his prime or any semblance of his auxiliary motivation? Well, I will grant you the fact that Pete Rose still isn't in the HOF can be used as an example, but I'll claim that was Fay Vincent's doing and Bud didn't have the cojones to change it....
if this seems directed at yens, but as you might be able to tell, I'm not to fond of B.Selig......

(so, how 'bout that DH crap? When are they going to get rid of that sh!t??? )
Don't start!!!
Yes, Bud's a dick. Pete's a dick, too. Pete is why Pete isn't in the HOF. Charlie Hustle is quite possibly my favorite ballplayer of all-time, and I would LOVE to see him inducted. Quite frankly, I think he lied about not betting AND lied about betting to get his way. I don't think they had anything concrete except hearsay, but Pete did it and knew. He didn't want spanked, so he went with a lie and his hidden betting didn't get outed.
Then he said "Yeah, I did it", but still didn't come clean. I don't think he ever will come clean. Poor bugger is half nuts, anyways. Another reason I love him.
I'd love to see the whole DH thing gone, too. Or put to both leagues.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
I totally forgot about the homerun camera rule. That just started a couple years ago. They put cameras in all the parks.
That was also tried a number of years ago, like ten or fifteen, and then it was shot down.
I can see the argument for it, boundaries are not "the human element", so use what you have. Especially when foul poles are so hard to tell if the ball went over the fence inside the park.
Boundary calls cause derision between umpires, too. Two guys see it "in", two guys see it "out".
I can honestly say that I don't know if I like it or not. If I had a vote, I'd say "leave it out, period." It makes more sense that way.

Here's the thing...
Use instant replay to overrule a base ump's calls, then you need to use it to over rule home plate calls. Then balls and strikes.
Now it's football.
Plus there are years and years or footage of bad calls. Fix them, make adjustments to the games, and some teams don't make it to the playoffs that claimed the title.
Fair is fair, right?
It creates a mess that never ends. Without it, no mess. Just the day to day mess that emulates life.
If anything is precious in the game of baseball, it's the stats. How many *'s do the record books need?

I should probably also add, it's a game. Even if it's had lots and lots and lots of dollars thrown at it to make it a business, it's still a game.
All things said, it really doesn't amount to a dip of sh!t, regardless of how serious we like to let it make us feel.
The instant replay rule went into effect last year, not years years ago. And it did help get a few HR calls right. I'm not sure the answer is to let managers invoke replays, or argue balls and strikes, but given the closeness of the play and situation I can't see why the umps couldn't have the option to check things over. Or maybe not. The commissioner has the power to reverse plays, if doing so threatens the sanctity of the game so much, why bother giving him the option at all. It's there for a reason, what's the point if it never gets used?

Baseball is game. And games are meant to be fun. But this kinda takes the fun out of it don't you think?