Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
Zabhatton
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (1)
Zabhatton is on a distinguished road
Default My B&M Lounge Experience and Observations

So last Sunday I went to the U.S through Windsor. One of my primary objectives was to experience and enjoy a cigar INSIDE, a B&M lounge, during winter.

Around 6 I ended up at Jenuwine cigar lounge in Sterling Heights.

After reading so much about B&M's and people's experience within them I decided to share my thoughts and observations.

First of all, the lounge was absolutely beautiful. There was ample space, A HUUUUGE humidor, nice bar area and even a mini stage for live bands.

I went with a few friends of mine, all of whom do not smoke. So they were less than enthused for the occasion.

As I entered I immediately felt EVERYBODY in the room fix their eyes on me and my entourage. Keep in mind we were a multi-ethnic group in our mid to late twenties, and this being my first time in the U.S I had no Idea what to expect. This really made me understand the intimidation some feel when walking into a lounge.

However, being observational, I quickly sized up the room and realized it was not a unified front of regulars. Rather, there were couples on dates, other groups such as ours and of course the regular gentlemen whom I assume frequent often. I knew this was their hangout because of their mannerisms. They would be exchanging cigars, knew exactly where to find items in the humidor and so on. In the end I felt no more intimidated then I do when I walk into any new place I have not been before.

Anyway, I approached the gentleman working behind the counter who at the time was serving someone. I did this for two reasons: I always read posts about how customers are treated as criminals intending on stealing from the humidor and secondly because the humidor is so big it made me nauseous. Being impatient I asked the gentleman whether I can just walk in and if he would kindly come after he was finished with his current customer. He acknowledged and I entered one of the most memorable rooms I've ever been inside.

I was scouring the isles when he entered. ( I FORGOT HIS NAME AND I TRULY REGRET IT) I asked for a few brands and his recommendations. I ended up getting an illusione churchill, RP Royale, Romeo Y Julieta in a torpedo size and a UC corona viva.

We went back to the front desk so that I can pay. While doing so I also exchanged two xikar lighters for two new ones, which the gentleman filled for me.

I cut my cigar, lit it and went back to my seat where my friends had all ordered water from the nice bartender. When she approached me for a drink I also ordered water, which took about 30 minutes to arrive. I understood why, she made no tips on $0, so the next time I ordered a glass of wine. This time it arrived more promptly.

Finally, I observed that the cigars I smoked at the lounge were not as flavorful as those I enjoy from home. It did not taste over humidified, my assumption is that, due to the aromas of all the other cigars my olfactory senses which constitute for a significant portion of the taste were overloaded. This is not to say that the room was not properly ventilated, on the contrary, it had an amazing air circulation. The aromas however, do linger.

The visit truly was an experience, one which I intend on having again.

Hopefully I did not omit anything. If anyone has any questions please ask!
Zabhatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #2
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice
Default Re: My B&M Lounge Experience and Observations

Pretty fair assessment. Considering the few lounges I have been to the staff and the crowd tend to get more friendly as you have a drink and a cigar or two. Next time you are planning on doing this you should see if there are any members on here or other cigar blogs in the area that would be willing to meet you there just to expand the experience and maybe motivate that bartender that tips even on water are directly related to service.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Thanks for sharing, I get the odd feeling you went in and were expecting your group to be singled out or something, I would hope being a "multi-ethnic" group would have nothing to do with it, more like you were a few people coming in together?

Quote:
As I entered I immediately felt EVERYBODY in the room fix their eyes on me and my entourage. Keep in mind we were a multi-ethnic group in our mid to late twenties, and this being my first time in the U.S I had no Idea what to expect. This really made me understand the intimidation some feel when walking into a lounge.
I have been to quite a few Cigar Lounges and have never felt intimidated, makes me curious who these people that feel intimidation are.

Just for the record, were you the only one smoking, you went in with an entourage, they all sat down and ordered water, you bought a couple cigars and exchanged two lighters (as in to lighters that were no longer working properly so you brought them to exchange them under their warranty?) and only tipped for the wine? You know it's legal to tip a bartender if they are just bringing you water specially if there are a few of you there, at least in most places

Sounds like you enjoyed the place, there's nothing like a nice cigar lounge to hang out in and relax while having a smoke.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

That particular lounge is very nice, albeit a bit pricey. Had I not just flown overnight the day before, I would have liked to meet up with him.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
Zabhatton
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (1)
Zabhatton is on a distinguished road

Its hard to tip for water when youre using credit cards.

Also, enjoyed seeing the 60 rg smokes, made me want to have one myself.
Zabhatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

That is a nice place. I agree, the first time that I saw their walk in humidor, I was amazed. More square footage in the humi alone than some houses!

One of the friendliest cigar places that I've visited while out of town was at Harbor Cigars in Destin, FL. (I think that was the name, anyways). I was treated like a regular to their shop, even though I was never there before in my life. Apparently they didn't get too many people from my area of the country, so I sat and talked with a few of their workers for a good hour or so.