Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough
Default How do you buy/pick the cigars you get?

When buying cigars do you often buy them in singles, 5ers, or boxes? Why? And when you do buy cigars do you go for something different and new or just stick to what you know?

I'll start. Lately I have been buying a lot of samplers from BOTL. Since I am still kind of new to cigar smoking I have been buying random samplers. I will then smoking the randoms and keeping a list of the sticks I want to try again. After I smoke about 10-20 randoms I pick my favorite sticks and pick up a 5er or more of each. All of this got me wondering if less experienced smokers do the same and more experienced smokers buy in higher quantities.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
shadow king
Fresh outta Ad Seg

First Name: Matt
Trading: (19)
Quintero
shadow king is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do you buy/pick the cigars you get?

For me a lot of depends on the price. If there's a deal going on somewhere thats just too good to pass up, I'll jump on it unless its a known dog rocket. In the month leading up to the SCHIP tax I went a bit overboard in buying everything in sight. Mostly samplers and a few boxes. Luckily everything I bought was a homerun. Nothing is worse though than buying a blind box just because it was 50% off and then find out you don't like them.

I am like you though, if I see a brand I want to try that I've heard good things about I go the sampler route. If it passes my liking then comes the 5 pack. I try to stay away from buying a whole box anymore because I simply can't smoke them all fast enough. I prefer my NC's with no more than 2 years on them unless its an Opus or Padron. Those seem to get better with age.
shadow king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:54 AM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Altely I have been buying singles. I prepare a list of what I have been wanting to try and head to the local B&Ms to see what I can find. Of course, I map out a list by price before heading out. Once I had had something that I really enjoy...it might be 5er time or box time. I just purchased a box of Perdomo Lot 23 Maduro robustos and a box of Sancho Panza Double Maduro Quixote because I really enjoyed those two sticks.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
akakirby
Feeling at Home

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (20)
akakirby is on a distinguished road

I am still buying singles, only been enjoying cigars for about 2 months so I am still figuring out my likes and dislikes, I would like to buy a box of 601 blue labels when I can come up with some loot though!
akakirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

I generally buy cigars by the box. If I am trying something new I will get a five pack.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

i like to buy between 5 and 10 of the same cigars that i have liked or thought i'd like, that way i have a few to try, a few to give others to try, and a few to keep for myself for a logner term.

I dont like buying singles because htey tend to be more expensive.

I dont liek buyign boxes because thats a huge commitment as well as takes up alot of space.

5-to-10 packs are perfect!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

I usually buy three of a new cigar I want to try. I'll smoke two of them to make sure I either like or don't like it and then have one left over to hold me over till I get more if I liked it or give away if I didn't like it. If I loved it I might buy a box. If it was just so so the extra will be fine.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
I generally buy cigars by the box. If I am trying something new I will get a five pack.
Us old guys always like to save a buck.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
GrtndpwrflOZ
Just call me OZ

First Name: Brian
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
GrtndpwrflOZ is on a distinguished road

I mostly buy cigars by the box. Much cheaper. I usually buy cigars I have never tried before and want to try. I don't think I have ever been disappointed. I do a little...very little research first and look for a good price.

Now to get me some more.....

B
GrtndpwrflOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I think you are on the right track for a new smoker. Smoke as many different brands/wrappers and sizes as you can. Samplers are a great way to start. Begin with Mild/Medium and move up to Medium/Full. Take notes if that is your inclination, especially noting the country of origin and wrapper type. Try others that have similar construction. For example if you find a Honduran Corojo that you like such as the Punch Rare Corojo, then try another Honduran Corojo like the Camacho. Also you will find that you may like a particular size but not all sizes of the same blend. Dont give up on a smoke, if you buy a fiver and find that after the first two, they are not to your liking, revisit them in a few months and you may find that the smoke or your tastes have changed.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

I like to buy samplers and 5 or 10 packs to try unknown variety. When I know what I like, I buy boxes. I also pay attention to what our brothers recommend here.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

I buy boxes usually after trying a single or two. As far as choices, I will usually try new lines from brands or mfg's that I like. I have also bought a few singles based on reviews here. The go-to smokes are regularly stocked.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #13
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

I generally look for great deals or I buy singles when I vist the local B&Ms. As for the singles, I try to go for the hard to find/premium cigars because I'm only buying a few.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

I use the dartboard/blindfold method. jkjk

I buy samples and decide which boxes to buy after. I also have a list of fixed purchases every other month or so.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #15
BFallehy
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
BFallehy will become famous soon enough

I have only been smoking cigars for about a year now and I have moved through a bunch of different ways of buying my cigars.
I started with samplers and then moved to 5ers, mostly so that I could trade and share with others.
I still get 5ers or bundles if the deal is right but lately I have started buying boxes, this is mostly because I bought a nice end table humidor and wanted to fill it up.
Most of the boxes I have bought are sticks that I have had and really liked and just couldn't stop thinking about, but there are a few where I found a really good deal and just couldn't pass it up. Luckily those good deals I couldn't pass up have turned out to be some good sticks only one was what I would consider a yardgar and that is only because it is a bit more mild that I tend to like them.
I have temted a couple of my friends to the dark side now and I like stearing them in the direction of 5ers, mostly ones that I haven't had so I can trade with tem.
BFallehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #16
SilverFox

Seems these days I buy at least 2 boxes, in case they are good right now then I don't feel bad smoking them, while the other box gets older and yummier.

But then I have been smoking a long time and have a good idea of what I will and wont like.

When I first started trying NC's I would be 5 at a time, I dont think you can give any cigar a fair shake on just one so a second or third is sometimes necessary.

Now that I have come away from NC's I am comfortable enough in my buys that I wait for deals and buy multiple boxes.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #17
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I almost always buy boxes, but I have tried enough different sticks to have a good idea of what I like. I think sticking with five packs is the best bet until you really know what you like. I ended up buying boxes too soon when I got into this hobby, and then my tastes changed and I had a whole bunch of stuff I had to sell to make room for new smokes.

When I do buy smokes I usually look for good deals; if there are none that grab my attention I look at my "need to buy" list and choose something that I have been wanting to buy.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #18
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

You can also participate in the TAW/PIFs here at CA. Great way to sample.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #19
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

If buying in singles online, shipping becomes a major concern. So I tend to buy singles when buying 5fers or I will buy a lot of singles... I tend to average over 10 cigars each order. Some retailers (many on this board) are great with single pricing and charge box prices on singles.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

If you're relatively new to cigars, it makes a lot of sense to buy singles, 5-packs, samplers, etc, so that you know what's out there and can start finding out what you like - and more importantly, what you don't. But once you find your sweet spot, buy in the most economical quantity that your budget and your hummie (and your S/O, if applicable) can manage.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote