Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
BC-Axeman

Default GM vehicle? Not me.

At least not for a while. Even though I really want a Corvette.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/20625.html
Ford took no bailout money.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: GM vehicle? Not me.

What a mess, too many at fault, no one taking the blame.

I still like GM trucks.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

How did Wagoner stay almost 6 years as GM tanked?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

Ive been behind the wheel of GM trucks for a while, and I would not hesitate to purchase another. Yes, GM has its fair share of problems, some beyond the control of GM, but the amount of "bailout" (loan) money they have received is a pittance compared to the financial industry. I can understand the hesitation to buy a GM car nowadays, but I think that hesitation spreads to areas beyond GM.

Sometimes these articles drive me crazy - everyone in the media has something to say about how to fix the American car industry, how to fix GM, etc, even though they dont work in the car business and are speculating at best.

One of my favorite quotes from the article, referring to Waggoner, was "...He is considered responsible for increasing GM's focus on trucks and SUVs—at the expense of the hybrids and fuel efficient cars that have become more popular in the last couple of years."

What a ridiculous statement that is. GM made a TON of money on trucks and SUV's when they were popular. Small cars are generally considered loss leaders for many companies, and most consumers would rather have something with a bit of power and space.

Unfortunately (Politico take note), the problem is not that people (or as they call them, "consumers") are only buying small cars and hybrids - it is that people are NOT BUYING ANY new cars at all. Even Toyota is hurting in the most recent downturn...
Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

Those of us who must, or need to drive trucks will soon find ourselves walking and probably taxed for that also.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Pitmaster

GM has more cars that get over 30 MPG, and more Hybrids than Toyota or Honda. What a crock. I love my new Corvette FWIW
Mike
Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
darb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
GM has more cars that get over 30 MPG, and more Hybrids than Toyota or Honda. What a crock. I love my new Corvette FWIW
Mike
THANK YOU!! jeez, why does no one realize this?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, except they have run their business like **** for the last 10 years!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
darb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner View Post
Yeah, except they have run their business like **** for the last 10 years!
Having a union who demands cost the company 1000 dollars per car for health care vrs the US Honda and toyota plants that have a cost of 94 dollars per car... ya that didnt help.

all the car companies are in trouble. its not just GM. Ford Morgaged all thier plants, if they go CH.11, they run the risk of losing thier plants.

Chrysler...well thats a whole nother bag o chips
Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb85 View Post
Having a union who demands cost the company 1000 dollars per car for health care vrs the US Honda and toyota plants that have a cost of 94 dollars per car... ya that didnt help.

all the car companies are in trouble. its not just GM. Ford Morgaged all thier plants, if they go CH.11, they run the risk of losing thier plants.

Chrysler...well thats a whole nother bag o chips
I agree with everything you said...just saying, the fact that they make decent products is not enough. Many companies with solid products have gone under for a multitude of reasons.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
BC-Axeman

I just think the bailout money is not going to get GM out of trouble. I think they may have to break the company up. Maybe Corvette will become it's own company. GM has taken more bailout money than the company is even worth. How will they ever pay it back? I won't knowingly do business with any company that has received bailout.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
darb85

and yelling at GM for selling trucks and SUVs is ludacris!

Toyota, Honda, NIssan all redeveloped thier lines to include full size trucks and SUVS. its what the US wanted. Then in the last 2 years It crashed with rising gas prices.

And Now with gas back at 2 bucks a gallon, trucks are selling huge, Used car values are running through the roof, in fact a 1 year old car is more expensive than a brand new one! its nuts! Hell my car went UP on Kelley Blue Book in the last 6 months. Its a suburban!

Granted GM was slow in bringing out those uber fuel efficent cars but when they did they brought out the most respected cars out there!

Im not saying they are a model for business nesessarily, and a big part of that is the amount of power the union has and the lack of management to stem that power move.

And no offense to any auto workers but someone who works the line spinning the number 5 lug nut on a malibu should not be making 74 dollars an hour(including benefits)...
Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
darb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I just think the bailout money is not going to get GM out of trouble. I think they may have to break the company up. Maybe Corvette will become it's own company. GM has taken more bailout money than the company is even worth. How will they ever pay it back? I won't knowingly do business with any company that has received bailout.
You do realize that before GM could get any of that money they had to issue a plan to restructure thier company? and if they dont repay the loans, the government issues a levy and gets it, but after 20 years. Chrysler did it in the 80s

They are dropping lines, Pontiac is a specialty line just the G8, G6, Vibe, and Solstice.

Saturn is likely to either be sold or rebranded opel.

Saab is gone

The Management and Execs are all only making 1 dollar this year. They sold thier fleet of jets(something AIG has yet to do...) They are shutting down plants and consolidating.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #14
BC-Axeman

I'll wait to see how it turns out. I'm not knocking GM products. I really do want a Corvette. I like their trucks. I just trust a government run company less than a union run one. I lived through the '70s. I owned Chrysler stock up till Daimler bought it. That was one I sold at the right time. They have to sell at a profit cars that people want to buy a lot of. You have to be one step ahead of the market or else be creating the market. I don't see this happening now. Granted, nobody is selling a lot at this time. I am just not going to have anything to do with a government run auto manufacturing company. There is no history of that turning out good.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #15
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

Hmm...anyone asking Gettlefingerer to step down?
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #16
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
Mike
GM was simply the biggest because they had the most out there under Chevrolet, GMC, Buick, Pontiac, Saturn, Cadillac, Hummer, Saab, and Oldsmobile. How many freaking models in their lines that overlap one another? When consumers perceive your product to be a bad value, they won't buy from you. The Big Three are a shining example of how they like to live like fat cats when things are great, but they sure don't want to make sacrifices when times are bad.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #17
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

If you want a Vette, buy it. GM isn't going away, even if they go bankrupt. The govt. has already said they will back the warranty.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #18
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Chevrolet, GMC (maybe even drop this...not sure), Pontiac, Saturn, Cadillac, Hummer (h1 only),

these are the lines I would keep if I was running the show. When was the last time you saw a buick made in the past 5 years on the road?
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #19
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Maybe not buy the Corvette but instead stick a third of that money into GM, Citi and some other "value" stocks?
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #20
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlmeter View Post
Hmm...anyone asking Gettlefingerer to step down?
That's just it-he's just as responsible for the mess as Wagoner.

For all those in the union ranks that villify the compensation of salaried executives, they're turning a blind eye to what those in the union make. As if a $60k/year job turning some bolts is bad enough, union appointed positions are the shiznit into a bigger career of do-nothing job responsibility and accountability to no-one, often dished out in the good old boys network or family members. Then you take into consideration elected stewards/committemen/zone men/bargaining committee members, you've got a LOT of guys there making $200k+/year that give ZERO productivity paid for by GM/Chrysler/Ford.

Being an elected UAW rep is much like being in Congress-they're just a bunch of money grubbing whores and the only concern they have is for getting re-elected, not looking out in the best interest of their constituents.