cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Today I will smoke rub eye steaks for an hour and then bring up the heat in the big green egg to about 700* and sear them for 30 seconds on a side. Cigars will be involved.
Sounds miserable Mark.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #4582
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
11 pound brisket has been on the Traeger for 10 hours @ 200
Currently at 162.
Now at 172.
Picture is deceiving. Slab of beef is 11 pounds.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #4583
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Wayne
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
OnePyroTec will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cort View Post
You're stoked, Wayne. The site and Amazon both say there is a 4-5 week lead time but mine came this past Tuesday and only took 2 weeks.
I know it showed Free FedEx Ground Shipping 2-4 Days on the site, but I didn't think that was too realistic of a shipping time because I also saw the Amazon add.
OnePyroTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #4584
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Smoked some chicken wings to take by my friends house later. Got a second batch with a different rub. Tomorrow is a slab of lamb ribs. Going to marinate in some lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and hot chili flakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (110.9 KB, 320 views)
Old 09-21-2014, 05:02 AM   #4585
shade
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mark
Trading: (5)
shade will become famous soon enough

Bacon and mushroom pizza
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15120396068_52173f8acb_m.jpg (23.8 KB, 307 views)
shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #4586
shade
Still Watching My Back

Larger pie

Last edited by shade; 09-21-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #4587
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

That Pie looks great Mark!
Cooked on your Vision Kamado?

I would love to see the finish of the brisket Peter.
Was it just a flat? If so, 11lbs is pretty big at least much bigger than I am usually able to find for a flat only.

Gary, I didn't get a text!

When I ordered my PBC there was a 3-4 week wait.
The night I placed my order, I received a personal phone call from Noah, the owner, thanking me for my purchase, and telling me he can be reached 24hrs a day on his cell phone, and then gave me his cell #.
Not sure if it's his true cell # because it is the same # that's on the PBC, but it is a nice spiel.
Had a nice little chat with him....seems very down to earth. He also told me they were behind on the orders and I should expect it the third week in May. I received mine May 21st, right on schedule.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #4588
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I would love to see the finish of the brisket Peter.
Was it just a flat? If so, 11lbs is pretty big at least much bigger than I am usually able to find for a flat only.
Sorry, Dom. I did not get a picture post-cook. I will take a pic of what is left and post it up later this morning. When I bought the brisket, I thought is was flat and point. But when I opened it up for prep, I realized it was flat only. And very thick. It was USDA Choice from Costco. And quite possibly the best thing I've pulled off my Traeger in 3 1/2 years.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #4589
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

Cohiba

Quote:

When I ordered my PBC there was a 3-4 week wait.
The night I placed my order, I received a personal phone call from Noah, the owner, thanking me for my purchase, and telling me he can be reached 24hrs a day on his cell phone, and then gave me his cell #.
Not sure if it's his true cell # because it is the same # that's on the PBC, but it is a nice spiel.
Yes, that pie looks great! The Kettlepizza is the other toy I'm curious about.

I got a couple emails from Amber (Noah's wife) She says that they will be shipping next Wed. or Thurs. and the same call any time if needed. She has her own number in the email and also noted the direct number on the PBC. I'm curious if people do call for help. The whole thing is so simple after watching one video, it seems foolproof.

That being said I'll report back after our maiden voyage.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #4590
shade
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Yes it was, Dom. Took it up to around 525 degrees. Love pizza on the Vision!

Doing some ABTs, and a beer can chicken today. Will post up some pics later.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #4591
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePyroTec View Post
Yes, that pie looks great! The Kettlepizza is the other toy I'm curious about.
A friend of mine who is big into BBQ and judges KCBS has one and he isn't impressed. His comments were that it works ok, but not as well as one would hope, not as much heat ends up on top of the pizza as it should so you have to be careful about burning the crust before the topping cooks. Also, depending on what you use your kettle for and how much buildup you have in there, when you start getting that hot and the stone reflecting the heat back into the bottom of the kettle, inadvertently starting a grease fire is pretty easy to do; I've done it - completely ruined the food, fvcked the stone up and had to spend quite a bit of time and caustic cleaning the kettle afterwards.

And $150 is outrageous for what it is. I would think that for about $15 worth of sheet metal and $4 worth of bolts from home deopt or lowes, you could probably build a kettlepizza clone in an hour.

Last edited by T.G; 09-21-2014 at 02:05 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #4592
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Sorry, Dom. I did not get a picture post-cook. I will take a pic of what is left and post it up later this morning. When I bought the brisket, I thought is was flat and point. But when I opened it up for prep, I realized it was flat only. And very thick. It was USDA Choice from Costco. And quite possibly the best thing I've pulled off my Traeger in 3 1/2 years.
Getting ready to slice thin for brisket sammiches.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #4593
shade
Still Watching My Back

ABTs - added a thin slice of onion with the cheese.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #4594
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
A friend of mine who is big into BBQ and judges KCBS has one and he isn't impressed. His comments were that it works ok, but not as well as one would hope, not as much heat ends up on top of the pizza as it should so you have to be careful about burning the crust before the topping cooks. Also, depending on what you use your kettle for and how much buildup you have in there, when you start getting that hot and the stone reflecting the heat back into the bottom of the kettle, inadvertently starting a grease fire is pretty easy to do; I've done it - completely ruined the food, fvcked the stone up and had to spend quite a bit of time and caustic cleaning the kettle afterwards.

And $150 is outrageous for what it is. I would think that for about $15 worth of sheet metal and $4 worth of bolts from home deopt or lowes, you could probably build a kettlepizza clone in an hour.

Agreed, after talking with my buddy who does fabricating, he is convinced we can make something to fit on the PBC. Will it work, won't know until we are done.

side note: I was also glad to hear from him he could easily make the PBC but to clone it down to the new drum, powder coating, & grill, he couldn't beat the price. We live in a small town so getting the small things need to build ONE wouldn't be cost effective.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:54 AM   #4595
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Great looking food, guys!
Mark, you take great pics!

Funny Peter, the best thing to ever come off my Traeger were 3 large 9lb flats I got from Costco.
They were literally my first cook on the Trager, and I feel like I've been chasing my tail, trying to reproduce the finished product ever since.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #4596
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePyroTec View Post
Agreed, after talking with my buddy who does fabricating, he is convinced we can make something to fit on the PBC. Will it work, won't know until we are done.

side note: I was also glad to hear from him he could easily make the PBC but to clone it down to the new drum, powder coating, & grill, he couldn't beat the price. We live in a small town so getting the small things need to build ONE wouldn't be cost effective.
I have two 55 gallon UDSes, the first one came to me built, but damaged and in need of some minor repair. The second one I built from scratch from a used drum. By the time I was done building the second one, I'd say my material cost was about 1/3 to 1/2 of a PBC, would have been a bit higher if I hadn't scrounged some parts like the fire basket, but the amount of hours I had to put in shot the labor cost way over what a PBC would have cost.

When people ask me now about building their own UDS, I just tell them to order a PBC, it's just so much simpler than building one and it really just works out to be the same IMO. Yeah, the 55s have more capacity than the 30s, but for most cases (cooks), I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference, and, I don't know how many people want to dick around with the variable airflow controls fitted to the UDSes that allows them to run anywhere from 220-ish to 380-ish versus the set and forget 275 of the PBC. Plus if you ever want to take it somewhere, the 55 is a PITA to move around, even more so if you don't own a truck.

Last edited by T.G; 09-22-2014 at 08:27 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #4597
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I should know better than to look in this thread when I'm hungry. Some great looking grub, guys!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #4598
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Smoked some wings, and tossed with a Nando's Peri-Peri based sauce.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #4599
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Damn, those look good!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #4600
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

I fired up the PBC for the first time on Sat. The results were awesome.

I learned 2 things...
- I take chitty pics
- I'm a PBC believer now

I made 3 racks of baby backs ...
2 with the all purpose rub that came with the PBC and 1 with garlic salt and pepper.

Also made 2 Tri Tips. 1 with the traditional Santa Maria style seasoning and 1 with Montreal Steak seasoning.

I was amazed with the outcome of the ribs. Juicy, flavorful insides with a crunchy bark on the outside that I have never come close to obtaining on my UDS.

The Tri Tips came out great as well but as a Traditional High Heat sear then indirect finish Tri Tip fan I would have liked to seen a little more bark on these. The meat was extremely tender and delicious but with only 40 mins on the PBC they didn't build up the exterior that I am used to. All my guests loved it though so it's all good.

Here are some pics (sorry for the poor quality, I may or may not have had an adult beverage or 7)

I had to cut the bottom 2 ribs off the racks cause they were so damn long. That's what you see on the left there. Chefs snack if you will.

Tri Tips added

Next weekend is gonna be chicken. Dom says it's 2 hours every time. I hope he's right.

Also Peter needs to get one.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote