Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: where do you buy your meat?

I like Costco beef but it really needs time to set up. It's too bloody; I like it after 2-3 days of paper towel "dry aging" for most thick cuts.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #22
Mr.Weeee
Supporting the TROOP'S

First Name: Ricky Huey
Trading: (0)
Punch Army (Deployed)
Mr.Weeee is on a distinguished road

I go to the local butcher shop
Old 06-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #23
FUEL
Just 6 days...

First Name: James
Partagas
FUEL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
actually I'm an hour south of St James. I'm down in Fairmont near the Iowa border. And you are always welcome down here....planned party or not.

Sous vide is for tons of stuff. I use that process regularly for chicken breasts, pork chops, seafood, anything that benefits from precise temperature control. I don't use it all the time but I do use it a couple times a week. Do a bit of google searching and you'll find a ton of resources. being very specific with the temperature is critical though. you are cooking things just enough, but generally not sterilizing, so pay attention and make sure your temperatures arent too low for too long
Hey now, be careful what you post as one day you might just find a 6'3" 255lb white guy with a travel humi under one arm and his weiner dog under the other a tap tap tapping at your chamber door.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #24
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

James, if you head this way and don't stop, then I'll be upset. You and your weiner dog are welcome. Ilk feed you both and we'll light some things on fire.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #25
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Anyone interested in finding local farmers that raise pastured, grass fed meats of all sorts and veggies, check out localharvest.org.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #26
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

ok noob quieston... whats a PID?
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #27
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacboy View Post
ok noob quieston... whats a PID?
A proportional-integral-derivative controller (PID controller) is a generic control loop feedback mechanism (controller) widely used in industrial control systems. A PID controller calculates an "error" value as the difference between a measured process variable and a desired setpoint. The controller attempts to minimize the error by adjusting the process control inputs.

In the case of a sous-vide system, it would regulate the temp. I built one for my electric smoker that does the same thing. Works great.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #28
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
In the case of a sous-vide system, it would regulate the temp. I built one for my electric smoker that does the same thing. Works great.

A buddy of mine spent 1K on a PID for sous-vide. It keeps a temp like no buddy's business. Serious stuff.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Fareway Grocery Stores. Amazing selection and prices.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #30
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
A buddy of mine spent 1K on a PID for sous-vide. It keeps a temp like no buddy's business. Serious stuff.
For that much, it should. But I"m guessing he's using it for more than home cooking.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #31
jdakine
Sawadee

First Name: Jay
Trading: (34)
Partagas
jdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura about

Living in Hawaii is great, but when it comes to buying good beef, we are very limited. The local beef has gotten better over the years, but it does depend on what you are planning to cook.

Costco does carry a good selection of beef and now offers Prime in a few different cuts. When Whole Foods first opened on Maui a few years ago, they brought in Prime and we would pay through the nose for it.

At the end of the day, eat what you like, buy what you like and enjoy the good times.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #32
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Buy meat? Who the hell can afford to buy meat!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #33
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A proportional-integral-derivative controller (PID controller) is a generic control loop feedback mechanism (controller) widely used in industrial control systems. A PID controller calculates an "error" value as the difference between a measured process variable and a desired setpoint. The controller attempts to minimize the error by adjusting the process control inputs.

nice... which electric smoker do you have?
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #34
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacboy View Post
nice... which electric smoker do you have?
Bradley 4 rack stainless.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #35
sevans105

Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Dude, that's crazy. I mean, yeah you could spend that much for insane levels of precision, but why? I got mine off of e Bay for 39 with shipping. It keeps it plenty precise for my needs.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #36
sevans105

Cohiba

Ooooooohhhh. You are probably talking about an immersion circulator. Yeah, those can get spendy. Mine is a total kludge system compared to that. Same result, just not nearly so pretty. Rat rod vs BMW. Both will get you down the road, just a bit difference in style.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #37
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
Ooooooohhhh. You are probably talking about an immersion circulator.
Ya, that is what he has. Not to mention he has a vacuum tumbler to prep meat!
Old 01-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #38
Felixcigar
Still Watching My Back

Felixcigar is on a distinguished road

Whole Foods or The Fresh Market: excellent meat, and it helps when you make friends with the butcher.
Felixcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #39
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

My boss is a big Costco guy, and TO MY MIND, it is more of a "I shop at Costco, you don't' kind of thing.
He swears by everything Costco, and I will admit, the place DOES what it sets out to, but I think he would
even tell me his Costco socks are warmer, that kind of thing. But for me, no matter where you buy your
meat, the smart man buys reduced whenever he can, and in bulk when he can't. I just cut up a whole ribeye
and had a steak last night and it was terrific. NOT because it was bought one way or the other, but because
I was hungry as hell and a little sick, and it made me feel good. All that said, NOT A FAN of Walmart meat.

When there was still a Piggly Wiggly in this town, that's where I bought my meat.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #40
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
A proportional-integral-derivative controller (PID controller) is a generic control loop feedback mechanism (controller) widely used in industrial control systems. A PID controller calculates an "error" value as the difference between a measured process variable and a desired setpoint. The controller attempts to minimize the error by adjusting the process control inputs
NO, REALLY....what's a PID?
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote