Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough
Default Ninja Rant - Advise me, or be ninja'd

I felt compelled to make a thread here and just try to garner a little advice.

So I'll go ahead and cut to the chase, I have a LOT of pride in what I do. I work hard. I bust my ass. I sacrifice time and money and sometimes my own well-being to get the job done. I also know that many of my colleagues do the same.

So here's the advice, or feedback I'm hoping to gain from you guys (and gals)

What would you do if people just automatically assumed that what you did was just garbage? Without giving you a fair chance... and not necessarily just you personally but what you do and what you make.

Would you try to take those people on? Or would you just chalk it up to people being idiots and close minded buffoons?

The pride in me says, HELL YES TAKE THEM ON... YOU KNOW BETTER and they need to learn not to be so insensitive and open their minds. But the "cooler heads prevail" part of me says "Just be calm and all will work itself out".

What do you think?
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ninja Rant - Advise me, or be ninja'd

Try to educated them to the truth. If that doesnt work, them beat them down!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

I think 'haters gonna hate' applies here.
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
I felt compelled to make a thread here and just try to garner a little advice.

So I'll go ahead and cut to the chase, I have a LOT of pride in what I do. I work hard. I bust my ass. I sacrifice time and money and sometimes my own well-being to get the job done. I also know that many of my colleagues do the same.

So here's the advice, or feedback I'm hoping to gain from you guys (and gals)

What would you do if people just automatically assumed that what you did was just garbage? Without giving you a fair chance... and not necessarily just you personally but what you do and what you make.

Would you try to take those people on? Or would you just chalk it up to people being idiots and close minded buffoons?

The pride in me says, HELL YES TAKE THEM ON... YOU KNOW BETTER and they need to learn not to be so insensitive and open their minds. But the "cooler heads prevail" part of me says "Just be calm and all will work itself out".

What do you think?
If they are making that many assumptions already and are that vocal, their minds are probably made up and arguing with them is only going to make both of you look like retards, rather than just them.

Especially if it's online. In person, you might have a small chance, but online, eh, forget it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Don't get to flustered about people. Let dumb people be. As long as you take pride in what you do and you are happy that is all that matters. Remember opinions are like @ssholes, everybody has one.

Like Larry said you can try to educate them and if need be then beat them down!!! Just keep a cool level head and remember that as long as you are happy then that's all that matters brother!!!!

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

That depends on who "they" are.

Last edited by 68TriShield; 09-01-2011 at 07:13 PM.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Try to educated them to the truth. If that doesnt work, them beat them down!!!!
What Larry said. As I see it, if you're comfortable with yourself and what you do and the product you help create, to hell with them. Most of us here know you're a great guy and make great products. Like they said, haters gonna hate.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

There is a lot of ifs here. If the people are potential customers you have to try to educate like Larry said.

If the people are bosses you have to educate, and ask for constructive feedback( even if you disagree).

If the people are co workers educate on your way and look at their way.

If the people are any other then the above mentioned Screw'em!!!! Some people just aren't worth getting upset over. If you let people that dont matter give you too much stress it can affect your relationships with the ones that do.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Why would I care?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

dont fight with the idiots,they will beat you down with their expertise and experience
Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
That depends on who "they" are.
+1

It also depends on what you mean by "what you make" and "what you do." I'm assuming you mean career by the latter, but it could be that someone thinks you are peddling whatever and you think differently. I'm not sure if "what you make" is salary, product, or little meat pies for your aunt Gretchen.

Whatever the case, the act of stepping back like this to reflect on the situation will give you some insight all on it's own. Well done for that, at least.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Actually, I thought about this today, even before I read this thread! Because I got my yearly review today!

I get this a lot in my profession! But I live with the satisfaction that I know "what I do" and I know "what I make", and a handful of people in my profession actually appreciate me and know I am one of the best at what I do.

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I can be a hard head at times...I'd normally confront them and find the root of the morons major malfunction...but I've long given up on trying to impress those insignificant to me. As long as you are able to sleep well at night knowing that you did your best...chalk it up and move on brother...be the bigger person.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
lyle23

Idiots are idiots. Continue to make yourself happy brother, and hopefully the people who actually do matter at work see and appreciate what you do. If you are happy with what you do, continue to do it, and do it well. Who cares what "they" think. Remind yourself that "they" are morons. Hope this helps and all works out Jeremy.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the advice all. I think I've found what I was looking for... just some relevant semi-unbiased opinions about life and the pursuit of happiness.

I really tend to lean more towards the "cooler head prevail" side of things. Of course this doesn't mean I don't have passion (And a LOT of it) for what I do. But in my meager experience, I've found that when you're right, you don't even have to say anything.

And I know I'm right, so that's the end of it then really.

I appreciate all the cheers and jeers. Hehe, now for all you who didn't offer advice, you could be next in the ninja's sights. Watch yourselves!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

how is this cigar related
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Forget that isht about being in your sights! I was busy making a pot of (hopefully) badass chili.

Here's my experience: if I disagree with someone, they have about two minutes to change my mind. And vice versa. If you can't change my view in two minutes, anything afterwards is just wasting both of our times.

So that's my input. If YOU know you are right, that's good enough. If they don't agree... F*ck 'em!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #18
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
how is this cigar related
Keep asking questions like that and you may soon find out! :P
Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #19
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Keep asking questions like that and you may soon find out! :P
It must be bad if you keep throwing out threats like that!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
It must be bad if you keep throwing out threats like that!
Jeremy is very unfair when he plays. He can be scary...