Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #61
Walt
Still Watching My Back
 
Walt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 82
Trading: (0)
Walt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
I hope this helps!

This is a brief description of the flavor profiles most prominent by Region:

Lowlands:
The best have strong suggestions of lemon grass and maltiness.

Highlands:
The Northern Areas offer a spicy character.
The remaining areas of the Highlands offer distinctly fruity flavor profiles.

Speyside:
These are noted in general for their elegance, and flowery, heather-honey nuances, and they sometimes offer a very restrained, fragrant, peatiness.

Islay:
The best have strong notes of peat, hints of saltiness and strong medicinal nuances.

Campbeltown:
The best have a briny, salty flavor profile with restrained peaty & medicinal notes.
Thanks, that's a great little resource to have on hand. I'll be printing that out for future reference.
__________________

Personal Blog: Walt In PA
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #62
wayner123
Country Gentleman
 
wayner123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 2,351
Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Can you recommend some nice salty Scotches? I really enjoyed the Glenfiddich 12 yr.
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #63
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!
 
JohnnyFlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: John
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 534
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Can you recommend some nice salty Scotches? I really enjoyed the Glenfiddich 12 yr.
Most of the younger Spring Bank offerings offer salty, pine nut flavors, that are mostly tasted on the finish. The Spring Bank 10yo is my personal favorite and it offers distinct salty hints in it's flavor profile.

Longrow 10yo, is another that has distinct hints of ocean saltiness mixed into it's flavor profile. A great Scotch!

Note: They are both Campbletown offerings!
__________________
A real man only needs Seven things in his life, Cigars, Women, Guns, Whiskey, Beer, Beans & Bacon!
JohnnyFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #64
kayaker
Going home soon.
 
kayaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Ian
Location: St . John's, Newfoundland Labrador
Posts: 1,131
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
kayaker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

That's a great question. I don't really know what I've had that would qualify as Salty. It's not a taste I can readily identify.

Are you looking for malts similar to Glenfiddich?
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #65
jkim05
Feeling at Home
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Jeremy
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 519
Trading: (17)
PL
jkim05 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Can you recommend some nice salty Scotches? I really enjoyed the Glenfiddich 12 yr.
Try a scotch from Old Pulteney, I think I know the taste profile you're referring to...if not, then so be it, but I find it more with the Islays generally, though it can be easily overwhelmed by peat.
jkim05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #66
MadAl
Adjusting to the Life
 
MadAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 5 miles from Fenway
Posts: 268
Trading: (0)
SLR
MadAl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

I've had a couple of bottles of Springbank, how does Longrow compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Most of the younger Spring Bank offerings offer salty, pine nut flavors, that are mostly tasted on the finish. The Spring Bank 10yo is my personal favorite and it offers distinct salty hints in it's flavor profile.

Longrow 10yo, is another that has distinct hints of ocean saltiness mixed into it's flavor profile. A great Scotch!

Note: They are both Campbletown offerings!
MadAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #67
wayner123
Country Gentleman
 
wayner123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 2,351
Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkim05 View Post
Try a scotch from Old Pulteney, I think I know the taste profile you're referring to...if not, then so be it, but I find it more with the Islays generally, though it can be easily overwhelmed by peat.
I have heard a great deal about this scotch lately. It's rather inexpensive as well. It's already on the list, and it just moved up a few places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Most of the younger Spring Bank offerings offer salty, pine nut flavors, that are mostly tasted on the finish. The Spring Bank 10yo is my personal favorite and it offers distinct salty hints in it's flavor profile.

Longrow 10yo, is another that has distinct hints of ocean saltiness mixed into it's flavor profile. A great Scotch!

Note: They are both Campbletown offerings!

Hey thanks, I'll try and get some of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
That's a great question. I don't really know what I've had that would qualify as Salty. It's not a taste I can readily identify.

Are you looking for malts similar to Glenfiddich?

Well not so much similar to glenfiddich but similar to that salty aftertaste.
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #68
RBOrrell
Still Watching My Back
 
RBOrrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Bruce
Location: Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 130
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
RBOrrell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Had an opportunity to list my Scotch collection over the holidays. I enjoy each of them but I gravitate to the Islays as my go to malt.

o Highland
Dalwhinnie 15 yo
The Macallan “Cask Strength”
Compass Box Special Canadian Edition
Glenmorangie Original 10 yo

o Isle of Islay
Laphroaig 10 yo
Bowmore Mariner 15 yo
Ardbeg 10 yo
Caol Ila 12 yo

o Speyside
The Glenrothes 12 yo
The Glenlivet 12 yo

o Isle of Jura
Superstition 15 yo

o Lowlands
Auchentoshan 10 yo

o Isle of Skye
Talisker 10 yo

o Orkney Islands
Highland Park 12 yo

o Blends
Whyte & Mackay “The Thirteen” 13 yo

o Canadian Single Malt
Glen Breton 10 yo
__________________
Bruce
"Hurry Hardddddddd"
RBOrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #69
kayaker
Going home soon.
 
kayaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Ian
Location: St . John's, Newfoundland Labrador
Posts: 1,131
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
kayaker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Nice list. I'll post mine up later. I had a few nice additions over Christmas.
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #70
SMW
On The Rocks
 
SMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
First Name: Stanley
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 43
Trading: (1)
SMW is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBOrrell View Post
Had an opportunity to list my Scotch collection over the holidays. I enjoy each of them but I gravitate to the Islays as my go to malt.

o Highland
Dalwhinnie 15 yo
The Macallan “Cask Strength”
Compass Box Special Canadian Edition
Glenmorangie Original 10 yo

o Isle of Islay
Laphroaig 10 yo
Bowmore Mariner 15 yo
Ardbeg 10 yo
Caol Ila 12 yo

o Speyside
The Glenrothes 12 yo
The Glenlivet 12 yo

o Isle of Jura
Superstition 15 yo

o Lowlands
Auchentoshan 10 yo

o Isle of Skye
Talisker 10 yo

o Orkney Islands
Highland Park 12 yo

o Blends
Whyte & Mackay “The Thirteen” 13 yo

o Canadian Single Malt
Glen Breton 10 yo

Impressive to say the least. Question though, how is the Superstition 15? I've heard some mixed things. I have never had it, but I hear is tastes pretty sweet (literally) throughout.
__________________
SMW
SMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #71
kayaker
Going home soon.
 
kayaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Ian
Location: St . John's, Newfoundland Labrador
Posts: 1,131
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
kayaker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Here's what I have right now. There's a couple of blends and ryes mixed in.


Ardbeg Uigaedail
Ardbeg 1990 12
Auchroisk 14
Balvenie 10
Benromach Traditional
Bowmore 17
Bowmore Cask Strength
Bruichladdie 3D3
Bruichladdie Celtic Nations
Caol Ila 12
Chivas Regal
Compass Box Peat Monster
Dalmore Cigar
Dalwhinnie 15
Famous Grouse 12
Glen Grant 25
Glenfiddich 12
Highland Park 16
Isle of Jura Superstition
Johnny Walker Green Label 15
Lagavulin 2006 12
Lagavulin 16
Macallan Fine Oak 10
Old Pultney 8
Port Ellen 24
Te Bheagh
Arlberta Premium 25
Forty Creek Barrel Select
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #72
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!
 
JohnnyFlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: John
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 534
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Kayaker & SMW both have some awesome stuff on hand! I use to have about 25 bottles in reserve, but over the last few years, it's dwindled down considerably. I gave a few bottles away to relatives, and what you see is what I have left, that I enjoy with my cigars and pipes, when I smoke them. I plan on adding 4 to 6 bottles in the next few months. I am trying to put together a selection that will give me a nice variety of flavor profiles! These are what I am working on at present!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004S.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1239   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-005S.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1240   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-006S.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1241  
__________________
A real man only needs Seven things in his life, Cigars, Women, Guns, Whiskey, Beer, Beans & Bacon!
JohnnyFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #73
SMW
On The Rocks
 
SMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
First Name: Stanley
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 43
Trading: (1)
SMW is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Kayaker & SMW both have some awesome stuff on hand! I use to have about 25 bottles in reserve, but over the last few years, it's dwindled down considerably. I gave a few bottles away to relatives, and what you see is what I have left, that I enjoy with my cigars and pipes, when I smoke them. I plan on adding 4 to 6 bottles in the next few months. I am trying to put together a selection that will give me a nice variety of flavor profiles! These are what I am working on at present!!!
Great picture...the visuals add quite a bit. But (unfortunately) I can't take the credit for the post above. That was RBOrrell's collection. Thanks for the props though.
__________________
SMW
SMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #74
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!
 
JohnnyFlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: John
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 534
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMW View Post
Great picture...the visuals add quite a bit. But (unfortunately) I can't take the credit for the post above. That was RBOrrell's collection. Thanks for the props though.
My Bad - thanks for the heads-up!
__________________
A real man only needs Seven things in his life, Cigars, Women, Guns, Whiskey, Beer, Beans & Bacon!
JohnnyFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #75
Studebaker
Still Watching My Back
 
Studebaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Piedmont Triad, NC
Posts: 95
Trading: (0)
Studebaker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

This may just be my ignorance, but regarding the salty/Glenfiddich discussion a few posts back....

The island region gets its salty influence from the sea air and seaweed, which adds the salty flavor to the peat used by the distilleries. That's what brings out the iodine/medicinal flavor in the island brands too. I haven't acquired that taste so I can't speak to specific brands.

Glenfiddich, on the other hand, is produced in the Highlands and I thought it had more of a malty sweetness. At least the 12-year-old I've been sipping does.
__________________
"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much."
Studebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #76
RBOrrell
Still Watching My Back
 
RBOrrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Bruce
Location: Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 130
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
RBOrrell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMW View Post
Impressive to say the least. Question though, how is the Superstition 15? I've heard some mixed things. I have never had it, but I hear is tastes pretty sweet (literally) throughout.
I read your post last night and I could not answer it.... so I went and poured myself a glass of it.

It does have a slight sweetness to it, especially on the finish. I could only describe it as slightly caramel.

I bought this bottle and a couple of others at the Whiskey Live show in Toronto a year or so ago. With the admission fee, you got some tickets for samples. I had one taste of Supersitition and I had to buy a bottle. I got a free sample of the Whyte & MacKay at the same show. For a blend (some called it vatted) I was blown away and the cost is reasonable.

Last Friday night I was at the CN Tower in Toronto for dinner. I had a Glenmorangie Sherry cask. It was amazing. It's next on my list to buy.

Kayaker, I see you have the Compass Box Peat Monster on your list. How do you like it? I have considered it too.
__________________
Bruce
"Hurry Hardddddddd"
RBOrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #77
kayaker
Going home soon.
 
kayaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Ian
Location: St . John's, Newfoundland Labrador
Posts: 1,131
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
kayaker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBOrrell View Post
Kayaker, I see you have the Compass Box Peat Monster on your list. How do you like it? I have considered it too.
It's not bad, but I think I would buy a nice peaty single malt instead next time. It's peaty but doesn't have a lot of character, missing some of the nuance of a single distillery.

Worth trying out though to see for yourself.
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #78
yourchoice
Down the stretch
 
yourchoice's Avatar
7
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Joel
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 3,985
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Great thread guys, and a lot of good information.

I enjoy Scotch. I enjoy Scotch very much. But when I peruse the isle at the liquor store, I become overwhelmed. I guess that's a good thing -- I have a nice variety from which to choose. The gentleman at the store that specializes in their Scotches seems knowledgeable, but I haven't been "wowed" by any of his recommendations.

I find that I most enjoy the peat associated with Islays. What would be your recommendations (more than one is fine) for a reasonably priced (say less than $50 or $60) SMSW with these characteristics?

If I may, another recommendationesqe (not a word, I know ) question. I believe in the mantra that variety is the spice of life, and I don't want to focus on one profile/region. I'd like to start (over the course of the next few months) a Scotch collection. What Scotches from the different regions would you recommend that best touch on the attributes associated with each region? This would be more of my learning curve exercise so I wouldn't want things to get too pricy.

Again, thanks for this thread, it is a great resource.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #79
kayaker
Going home soon.
 
kayaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Ian
Location: St . John's, Newfoundland Labrador
Posts: 1,131
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
kayaker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Hey yourchoice,

What have you had so far? That might help narrow down the suggestions.

For an Islay malt, try the Bowmore 12 (~$40). You can also go for the 15 yr, but I'm not sure of the price. I find this one nicely balanced. It's peaty, but not uberly so, (I can make up words too ) and other nice characteristics in the profile.

Ardbeg 10 is definitely peatier and still within your price range.

Bruichladdich is generally less peaty, but I'm not sure right off whats in their line at $50-60.

With regards to the other regions, or other great Scotches, Highland Part 12 is great, Glenmorangie too.

If you want a good variety, try the Classic 6:

(I just cut this from here)
OBAN (Sweet) A 14 year old combining the sophistication of the Highlands with a touch of the peaty style of the Islands. It is rich and full-bodied with a mellow fruity finish.

GLENKINCHIE (Ladies whisky) Glenkinchie is a soft, sweetly aromatic malt from the 'Garden of Scotland'. Is has a fresh, grassy sweetness balanced with a warming, dryish finish.

CRAGGANMORE (Medium) A 12 year old elegant, sophisticated Speyside with the most complex aroma of any malt. Astonishingly fragrant with sweetish notes and a smoky maltiness on the finish.

TALISKER A bit smoked. A 10 year old and the only malt produced on Skye. Its seaweedy, smoky nose and sweet maltiness is perfectly complimented by its spicy, long finish.

DALWHINNIE A 15 year old gentle, delicate malt from the wild and windswept Highlands. It is subtle, smooth delicately smody malt with a heathery honey finish.

LAGAVULIN (This is Smoked.) A 16 year old distinctive and powerful Islay malt. It is deeply smoky and peaty with a velvety, complex finish.

They may generally be at the upper end of your limit or a bit above, but worth considering.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Hope this helps,

kayaker
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #80
SMW
On The Rocks
 
SMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
First Name: Stanley
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 43
Trading: (1)
SMW is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBOrrell View Post
I read your post last night and I could not answer it.... so I went and poured myself a glass of it.

It does have a slight sweetness to it, especially on the finish. I could only describe it as slightly caramel.

I bought this bottle and a couple of others at the Whiskey Live show in Toronto a year or so ago. With the admission fee, you got some tickets for samples. I had one taste of Supersitition and I had to buy a bottle. I got a free sample of the Whyte & MacKay at the same show. For a blend (some called it vatted) I was blown away and the cost is reasonable.

Last Friday night I was at the CN Tower in Toronto for dinner. I had a Glenmorangie Sherry cask. It was amazing. It's next on my list to buy.

Kayaker, I see you have the Compass Box Peat Monster on your list. How do you like it? I have considered it too.

Thanks for the answer...I hope you weren't saving it for a special occasion. But as they say, just opening a bottle of fine scotch makes it a special occasion. But that sounds like a pretty good drink, "slightly caramel" sounds very interesting indeed. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Whyte & MacKay. Its always nice to stumble upon a blend that surprises. At any rate, thanks for the response.
__________________
SMW
SMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.