Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #81
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tatuaje Saints & Sinners club

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I have to say as a totally external player here, that this thread is most useful as a in or out thread.
I take pride in this forum for what it is, and that is better than every other single forum I have ever
looked at much less joined
. I understand that there are opinons on all sides of the spectrum,
but I can't see bashing a person for being a good businessman who also makes good products.
If this industry was filled with Rocky Patels, there'd be something to holler about. Rocky started
out so pure and then became the CLASSIC case of Cigar Ahole. 50 different useless cigar blends, all of them
suffering from too much $hi+ to control syndrome. The industry needs Pete and Orlando and Pepin and Drew.
They TRY. Again, I will try after this to stay out of it, because I was sitting down with Croatan and Beagleone
in Dallas and they started talking about Pete Johnson and I said "Who?" and they both laughed and told me
he was the Tatuaje guy, and I said "Tatoowhat?" Actually the second part I knew. I made that up just now.
But I think we are better than this as a group. I understand all of the opinions, but on the whole again, I think
he is much better for the industry than most, and for as many idiot's hands as he has to shake a year, he still
manages to get out there and rub elbows with the roundheads and keep a smile on his face. I don't hate Bill
Gates for being a billionaire. I respect him for inventing $hit+ that allows me to make a living in my pajamas if
I want to.
well said
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #82
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
Funny, breweries have been doing this for some time.

Lost Abbey Brewery's exclusive club(s) are even called "Sinners and Saints" (since 2006)

Just addressing the "genius" comments, he's doing a good job obviously, but copying what others are doing years later is not genius to me. Just very smart.

All that to say, I have no problem with this.

If you like his products and want access to exclusive stuff it's the only way. Same with the breweries, they make small batch stuff for their clubs and no one else can get it (except second hand). Those interested participate, and are usually happy (at least in the beer world). Those not interested do not participate.
It's really just about that simple. Good post, Seth.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #83
twenty5
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (14)
Montecristo
twenty5 is on a distinguished road

I personally think its a great deal, the 150$ will get you the previously mentioned access to info that every tat whore looks for, a 15 cigar sampler (5 regular production, 5 prototype blends and 5 Saints and Sinners exclusives) plus a hat and shirt.. Cant beat that IMHO.

Why bash Pete for introducing something to keep the cigar world exciting?
twenty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #84
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty5 View Post
Sinners exclusives) plus a hat and shirt.. Cant beat that IMHO. Why bash Pete for introducing something to keep the cigar world exciting?
Do you have a link with the sampler mentioned as being fact? I think a portion of us myself included were just disappointed buy the e-mail that was released that didn't mention anything about receiving any kind of hard goods in return for joining. The only thing mentioned was the access to discounts, exclusive releases etc. If the sampler is in fact going to be sent in return I have no problems forking over the $150 to join but if it's just what was mentioned in the e-mail released yesterday than I myself will take a pass and I think that is where some of the groups displeasure came from IMHO. A few guys have mentioned a sampler being sent with membership but it was not mentioned in the slightest in the e-mail regarding the membership.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #85
twenty5
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (14)
Montecristo
twenty5 is on a distinguished road

As Brooks already mentioned in this thread, sizes or blends may have changed since these pictures were taken but these were the original S&S samplers:
Name:  1.JPG
Views: 750
Size:  32.9 KB
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 770
Size:  33.9 KB
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 713
Size:  36.6 KB
twenty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #86
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

I love it, this is why Tatuaje, Pete Johnson are freaking marketing geniuses. His company sends out one little email yesterday to those who showed interest in the S&S club and wham-o all this chatter on this board, and others I'm sure. I say top notch to Pete & Tatuaje cigars, keep up the great marketing and outstanding cigars IMO. That is all......

Chris.....
Old 04-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #87
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

All that said in my previous entry, I DO remember the Honeycomb Hideout only required two box tops and a
dollar to join. My, how times have changed. Of course there was no smoking in the Honeycomb Hideout.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #88
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty5 View Post
As Brooks already mentioned in this thread, sizes or blends may have changed since these pictures were taken but these were the original S&S samplers:
Attachment 9243
Attachment 9244
Attachment 9245
This has piqued my interest...
Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #89
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
Just addressing the "genius" comments, he's doing a good job obviously, but copying what others are doing years later is not genius to me. Just very smart.

All that to say, I have no problem with this.
guy makes an average product and markets it to where people are falling over themselves to get it, i'll call that genius all day. it's the cartman principle, i've got it you can't have it...wait i need to make money, ok only x amount of people can have it.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #90
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

The man's a genius and I tip my hat to him. Gotta make a living, and he's great at what he does.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #91
ajacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Do you have a link with the sampler mentioned as being fact? I think a portion of us myself included were just disappointed buy the e-mail that was released that didn't mention anything about receiving any kind of hard goods in return for joining. The only thing mentioned was the access to discounts, exclusive releases etc. If the sampler is in fact going to be sent in return I have no problems forking over the $150 to join but if it's just what was mentioned in the e-mail released yesterday than I myself will take a pass and I think that is where some of the groups displeasure came from IMHO. A few guys have mentioned a sampler being sent with membership but it was not mentioned in the slightest in the e-mail regarding the membership.
The email also didn't mention it was $150 dollars.

I agree that the email was a blunder, it appears it was done hastily in order to gauge interest for manufacturing amounts.

I am sure everything will be disclosed in full detail before anyone is expected to fork over any cash.

At that time I will make a decision if it is worth it.

For me, I am not really interested in chasing down prototypes and the like, not interested in following Pete's exploits on video (or anyone's) and I don't wear logo t-shirts. On the other hand I enjoy tats so who knows.

I am sure it is a win win for Pete:
Cultivate a dedicated fan base and loyalty to his product
Concentrate his marketing efforts
Since he is moving away from limited releases, have a venue to get limited product out there.
Since the profit from the program is being donated there is the tax break
Get feedback on products before broader release
etc.
1. He cultivates a
Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #92
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

If you indeed receive 15 sticks, including 10 prototypes and LEs, and some swag I'd say its worth it.

Either way I agree with the folks who recognize that DPG is the crucial factor, Pete is the face of the brand and a smart business man. Anything to hype up interest in cigars and the cigar community is good in my book

As an aside, I assume there will be an open website to join or can you only join through the email?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #93
ajacobs

You can't even join yet. It was an email to people who previously expressed interest to find out if they are still interested. As many people who want to will be able to join.

They wanted to gauge interest to see how much merchandise they should make (cigars and swag)
Old 04-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #94
thecatch83

Seems like this would pay for itself, after getting a free sampler and a couple discounted boxes of Tat LE's that always seem to either A: Sell out very quickly, or B: Can only be found/purchased well above retail. Interesting......
Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #95
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacobs View Post
The email also didn't mention it was $150 dollars.

I agree that the email was a blunder, it appears it was done hastily in order to gauge interest for manufacturing amounts.

I am sure everything will be disclosed in full detail before anyone is expected to fork over any cash.

At that time I will make a decision if it is worth it.

For me, I am not really interested in chasing down prototypes and the like, not interested in following Pete's exploits on video (or anyone's) and I don't wear logo t-shirts. On the other hand I enjoy tats so who knows.

I am sure it is a win win for Pete:
Cultivate a dedicated fan base and loyalty to his product
Concentrate his marketing efforts
Since he is moving away from limited releases, have a venue to get limited product out there.
Since the profit from the program is being donated there is the tax break
Get feedback on products before broader release
etc.
1. He cultivates a
Just an FYI, the e-mail did state the price. Below is the copy and pasted e-mail verbatim.
We apologize for the delay, but we are finally here to unveil the details of the Saints & Sinners club.

The Saints & Sinners Club is an exclusive members only club and for an annual registration fee of $150, each member will receive:

1. Exclusive, one-off products available only to members (select products may not be available for purchase through the S&S webstore).
2. Everyday Tatuaje branded merchandise at the Saints & Sinners club rate.
3. Access to members-only forums, where you can discuss the finer points of cigars, smoking accessories, spirits, and anything else associated with the Saints & Sinners lifestyle
4. Access to the Pete Johnson video blog. Here, Pete will update members on everything PJHC. Watch Pete as he travels around the world, visiting his production facility in Nicaragua, engages fans on cigar tours, and dishes on anything else he feels his Saints & Sinners family should know about.
5. First looks at new cigar blends, swag, as well as insider info on Tatuaje and other Pete Johnson brands.
6. The knowledge that a portion of your annual membership fee will go to an eclectic mix of charities that Pete choses for their commitment to their particular cause.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #96
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

RA

As mentioned previous if that sampler is part of the fee to join I'm in for the sticks alone.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #97
thecatch83

If there are charitable donations made with portions of your registration fee, there could be tax breaks involved or write offs. Another bonus in my book..........count me in.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #98
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

For those who are into this kind of thing I'm sure it's pretty cool. It's not for me but I don't begrudge those who are.

What I want to know is, do you get a free jacket?

weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #99
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
If there are charitable donations made with portions of your registration fee, there could be tax breaks involved or write offs. Another bonus in my book..........count me in.
The likelihood of being able to take a charitable tax deduction is very low.

1. You are not making a charitable donation, the company is. And because a portion of the annual fee is getting donated does not entitle you to take a charitable tax deduction for your full annual fee to this program.
2. Usually foreign charities are not allowed to be deducted (it has been said that the funds will likely go to Nicaraguan kids).
3. Most important, the charity usually must be a legitimate 501(3)(c). I doubt this will be one.
4. To even take credit for a charitable tax donation, you have to file 1040 and itemize instead of the taking the standard deduction. If you take the standard deduction, then this is counter-productive.

themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #100
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I was totally joking about that being a tax deduction...so I apologize for bringing even more confusion into an already confusing discussion