Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #81
South Shield
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
South Shield will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rant: Cigar Bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I'm pretty sure that old guy greeting people at WalMart was going to ask for a cigar too! We can stop on the way home and pull a knife on him and show him who's boss!
oooh, can't. Court order says I have to stay away 300' away from any Walmart entry.
South Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #82
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Shield View Post
oooh, can't. Court order says I have to stay away 300' away from any Walmart entry.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #83
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
I did throw a rock at the Veteran in a wheelchair with a sign as I was leaving!
Quote:
GOOD! I bet his sign said "Homeless Vet! Need Cigar!"
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it did! Tomorrow I think I'll go under the bridge by the river and smoke a cigar and sing, "Nah, na, na, na"
Quote:
Cool, I'll join you after I leave the VA where I will be throwing Opus X's in the wood chipper just to see "Johnny no arms" cry.
this was a highly amusing banter
Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #84
Miket156

Lightbulb Re: Rant: Cigar Bums

Back OT for another circumstance. A guy I know that belongs to the same private club I belong too is a cigar smoker. (There's only 4 or 5 of us that smoke cigars in this club) We were talking cigar shop at the bar one night and he told me that what I was smoking was too expensive for his "daily" smokes. He bought bundles from CI and they cost him about 2.50 each. I asked him if he would bring an extra one with him the following weekend when I would be there, I would like to try one to see if they would be a less expensive alternative to what I smoke. I told him that I WOULD pay him for it.

The next weekend he came in and had the extra cigar with him and gave it to me. I paid him for it on the spot. He tried to refuse the $$ but I know he's a retired person and can't afford to give cigars away. Anyway, I ASKED for it and I don't want a hand-out. I told him there was no way I would take it for FREE. So he graciously accepted. If I am asking someone for a cigar, I am going to pay for it or I won't ask.

I came equipped with my normal 3 cigar supply, my cutter, and 2 butane lighters as usual. I was not depending on him or anyone to supply me with smokes. I bring my own when I go to the club on weekends.

The cigars he buys weren't bad at all, for the price. I had never tried anything in bundle and I wanted to get a handle on this method of buying cigars. I'm still looking around for the right deal, I don't want to buy a bundle that is dried out and I don't want to smoke.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #85
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
I love giving cigars away. Whenever I am at a party or one if the few bars in my area that still allow cigar smoking, I always bring plenty of extra. You meet some of the nicest people through the simple gift of a cigar. I don't care if they're mooching or genuinely curious, the world today can be so callous and cynical that a smile from a stranger and some casual conversation helps to remind me that what we need most is connection to our fellow human beings.

MCS

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 AM   #86
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

I am constantly giving out cigars to coworkers and friends.
Of course no one ever asks for them. I guess it would be different if the same guys kept coming up asking.

I have given and recieved plenty of cigars. Its just how the hobby works.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 AM   #87
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Sounds like the judge owed you a favor!
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #88
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

A friend( a lawyer) had out on the bar OpusX xxx at his wedding. Me and another guy were crying over all these idiots that took the cigars didn't know how to cut them, took a few puffs and left them in the ashtray to die!!!
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #89
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 View Post
this was a highly amusing banter
One of the better exchanges I've read, made me laugh, thanks guys.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #90
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Deg View Post
A friend( a lawyer) had out on the bar OpusX xxx at his wedding. Me and another guy were crying over all these idiots that took the cigars didn't know how to cut them, took a few puffs and left them in the ashtray to die!!!
that is a sad story
I would hate to see it in person
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #91
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
I've pulled my .357 out on bums in town begging money from me..... hahaaa
That's hilarious.

Most people would just say "Sorry. No." and move on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by pnoon; 01-26-2011 at 09:41 AM.
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #92
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I honestly give away/gift/bomb more cigars than I smoke. But almost all of those times have been unsolicited. The only person who's ever asked for a stick from me has been my brother. If he's going out fishing with his buddies or something. Then he gets his pick from my humi.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #93
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
I carry Quintero Nacionales for the folks that would like to try a smoke, or Devil's Weed Coronas. I don't mind sharing, I just don't care to give away my good cigars to people that I don't know (this isn't always the case).
Don't go bad mouthing my beloved quintero CC's.

I actually really like quintero nacionales cc's. Great everyday smoke. Of course, ymmv.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #94
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

Maybe I share too much with random people but I never really think about it. It's just a stick, there'll be more.
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #95
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

I'm really generous except for with this one friend of mine. I'll give whatever to whoever, typically, except for this one guy. At least not any more. Over the last however many years he has given me exactly one cigar on one occasion. I have given him countless. It's almost as if he has just come to expect me to furnish him with a smoke for the night whenever he happens to be around. So, I'll still give him one with no reservation, but not one from the top shelf, if you know what I mean. There's a difference in asking to enjoy a cigar from someone and being a mooch, and I treat those situations accordingly.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #96
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
Okay, so I'm a nice guy, at least most of the time. But, often, more times than not, I carry these great sticks with me to enjoy when a not so educated person wants to 'try' one of my sticks. But, you don't 'try' a stick. You 'try' a cigarette. If the stun sucks, you put it out and that's it. Period. But a cigar is different. Palettes are different and flavors often change while smoking a cigar. These ignoramuses think they should try a stick on my investment. Forget that I paid $7 to $10 for the stick, more than they paid for their worthless pack of cigarettes. For some reason, they think I owe them a shot at one of my expensive sticks and they've never smoked a cigar before. I have no problem sharing great smokes with someone who has developed a taste for a fine cigar. But, if someone wants to try a cigar, especially a first time cigar smoker, they need to try it on their own dime.

Free loaders.

Rant over.
I cant say I agree with you as others have pointed out. I dunno. Maybe you should not bring cigars with you wherever that you dont plan to smoke yourself if it bothers you that much.

I personally have given away literally hundreds and hundreds of cigars over the last 20 years, many of which are rare/vintage havanas to friends, family, and to many folks I never met before or met for the first time. Sometimes the cigar I give someone is my last of that particular cigar I may ever see again.

Why? Probably because theres a certain magic that can happen when you give someone something that they have never tried or only dreamed about.
Im not saying you should be more like me or anything like that. What I am saying is that maybe you might need some work in the tolerance of others department. There was a first time for everybody, including everyone here. This includes me (btw: I'm also an ignoramus cigarette smoker).

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #97
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

This man speaks the truth!

The very first time Kelly and I ever met in person he handed me a very rare cigar that I had never tried. Both the gesture and the cigar made a lasting impression that I remember to this day. Generosity, even to those you've never met or might never meet again, can sometimes be the greatest gift.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #98
Whipper Snapper
95% Banter 5% MMM Habanos

First Name: Blake
Trading: (0)
RA
Whipper Snapper has disabled reputation

If it were not for folks who gave generously, I doubt I'd be on these boards today. I started posting on cigar boards over 7 years ago. I was interested in the hobby, but it was the generosity of some fellows (one who posts here in fact) that not only plunged me into the hobby, but gave me more of a reason to be here than to just talk about cigars.

I've had the opportunity to try cigars that I didn't even know existed 7 years ago, thanks to people who cared enough to give a noob a shot.

Now, I just so happen to know a little bit about the cigar world when I used to know nothing, and I don't think that would have been possible had generous people not shared their cigars/knowledge with me.

Nobody likes a mooch. But, sometimes moochers are really just people who don't know where to start. It's full circle really. Give a newbie some cigars to try, and 10 years down the road, he might just be giving you that dunhill you never dreamed of owning.

What a wonderful place we have here at the asylum.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #99
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I'm sure that most, if not all, of us know or know about some one person who seems to freeload off other people's stashes. I think that is the type of person the OP was posting about, although it is clear that others in this thread are painting a wider brush.

I see no reason to start a thread over that one aberration of a person. Tell the person 'no' and move on with your life. Complaining about the one person just makes you miserable. Let it go and move on. Don't worry about their behavior if it isn't directed at you - you can't play mother hen to the entire world.

Let's let this thing die and move on to other topics, like who has received the most touching stick from a friend or stranger and why was it so. I doubt that most of the stories would include rare sticks, but who knows. Many here know about the time I gave a rather run of the mill stick to someone who was homeless and it reminded him of better days and took away the pain of his circumstances for a while, or so he told me. Let's focus on the good in both us and those around us, m'kay?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #100
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnorobo View Post
I started posting on cigar boards over 7 years ago..
You might have been the first mooching noob, and I mean that in the most respectful way.
I can remember when you popped in and jumped in with both feet. Even though the other place
was not as completely, overwhelmingly generous as THIS place is, I think you had no idea that people
were going to hit you the way they did. You were just curious and broke, as I recall. I did not send
anything to you, but I remember it well. Your avatar made me chuckle everytime I saw it.
I think it all started with a couple "I never had one of those." 'es. Talk about the birthplace of the bomb.

I may be mis-remembering the facts, but I remember the time and place and the shavetail young whipper-
snapper. I think people could diffrentiate you from a garden-variety mooch, so you were OK.

Last edited by OLS; 01-26-2011 at 02:14 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote