Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Kindle or Nook
Kindle 6 33.33%
Kindle Fire 6 33.33%
Nook 1 5.56%
Nook Color 5 27.78%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road
Default Kindle V. Nook

I am looking into buying my mom a Kindle or Nook for Christmas. She reads magazines, and books alot. So I figured this would be a pretty neat gift. She does have an iPad already, but I have no other ideas for Christmas. :P Any ways, I was hoping to get some insight on which to go with. If you'd like to defend your choice with a comment, I would be much obliged.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Kindle V. Nook

I am biased but I really like the basic Kindle (the Kindle Fire does not have the e-Ink technology). It looks like the newer Nooks also do not have e-Ink technology so I would recommend staying away.

The big benefit to e-Ink is that you can read indoors or outdoors, just like you would with paper book. The devices without e-Ink are backlit and this causes eye strain and there are glare issues with many ambient lighting conditions.

Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

I have a nook color (since mid summer of 2011) and I like the form factor and performance of it to this point. This being said I also think the nook and kindle apps do well on the tablets and phones/ipods.

I have not tried magazines on the nook yet so no help there.

One thing to think about, is there a preference that she has to Amazon or B&N? When she goes to grab a new book does she go online or to a store? That may answer the question for you.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

kindle fire was torn down but a repair company upon its release. Its made with high quality components then its price suggests. Apperently it costs more to make one they they sell for. Dunno if i beleive it but you can also easily root and load new firmware into them aswell. Which will strip away all of amazons garbage.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/iSupp...-price_id23887
Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

I don't know where she gets her books from, usually Wal-Mart, Barnes and Noble, just where ever she happens to be. My only question how would a magazine show up in black and white? Do you think the pictures would suffer in quality?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

I just bought my wife the Nook Color and probably should have qualified, or even abstained, my vote. It just arrived and looks great, but I have no first hand knowledge per se. I saw my sister in laws over Thanksgiving and she loves it and my wife is a big Barnes and Noble person. That's my main reasoning.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

I have the original Kindle. What is great about this device is that there is absolutely no glare if you are reading in the sun. It's great for beach vacations or out by the pool.

Also, the battery life is terrific.
mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I love my Kindle.

The number one reason I went with a Kindle? I'm not convinced Barnes and Noble will survive. Amazon is taking over the world.

If she reads mainly paperbacks, get an e-ink. If she reads more magazines, or more interested in multimedia, get her a color touch. LCD is bad if she's going to be reading mostly paperback type books though.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I love my Nook, although I can see the positives of the kindle as well. If you are going to use it soley for reading books, the e-ink technology is probably best. If you want to use it for internet and other stuff, then I think there are other devices better suited than either the Nook or the Kindle, but that's simply my own opinion.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I went with Kindle Fire, I got to see Marlon K's wife's and was blown away by the resolution on it, she showed me a sample of a comic book, I was sold right then and there.....+ it's on the Android operation system.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

I have the original Nook and a Nook Color. The eink on the original makes it easier reading in bright light but the color rendition on the Nook Color has to be seen to understand. I have my Sports Illustrated on the Nook and it looks much better on the Color. I like the idea that if I have a problem I can go into a Barnes & Noble store and solve the problem rather than having to do everything long distance.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I have both apps on my iPad. The nook dictionary sucks.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
DTM
Get to the Chopper!

First Name: Derek
Trading: (0)
DTM is on a distinguished road

My wife has had a Nook Color for some time and really likes it.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #14
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Given the choices, I would definitely say a black and white eink kindle or nook.

She's got an ipad, which means she already has something that runs apps, has a color screen, etc.

The huge advantage to eink is that it doesnt cause eye-strain. reading is enjoyable again. magazines will look better on her ipad... but she's got an ipad for that, so no need to get a second color device that would be inferior to the ipad in many ways and compete for space in her hand. magazines can stay there, and books would thrive for her on the black and white screen.

I have a eink kindle, and would buy another one if/when this one breaks.

I might get a kindle fire one day in order to flash it and get a cheap tablet... but I wouldn't buy it to read on, no backlit color display can match eink for hours of strain-free reading.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
Retiredguy
Life is good

First Name: Jack
Trading: (0)
Retiredguy is on a distinguished road

Colin,
If she already has an ipad, rather than giving her another reader, why not give a gift certificate so she can buy more books.

Jack
Retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote