Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough
Default "got puros?" dirty? come in for the story.

Today I had some running around to do today with my parents and we ended up going out to eat at the end of it.

We started off at costco where I had a pleasant gentleman see my shirt and say "not many people would know what that means but I do" then I mentioned that he should see the back and then he and his wife got excited and said that they have to get one so I made sure that they had marks web site addy so that they can have one. That was a nice start to the day. Now onto the second part of my day. We finished our running around and we went to a local establishment to get food. We were seated, ordered and our food finally came. As the runner was bringing out our food another waitress came out and loudly and rudely questioned the meaning of my hoodie. http://www.cigarmony.com/index.asp?P...PROD&ProdID=46 for those who haven't seen this hoodie I love it very comfy go get one.

well I missed the tone in the waitress' voice the first time she said it then more and more I started to realize what happened and that was she thought it was something dirty and was trying to call me out on it. My mother realized what happened as soon as it did and she was fit to be tied. I was angry but I tried to let it pass until after the meal when I was going to say something. my mother didn't let it slide that easily to make a longer story short the manager handled the situation very poorly and we won't be going back...which is ok becuase I'm not a fan of that place which was the eat and park in cranberry for people from the area....and nick and mike since we had breakfast there when they came down for the hockey game.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
shaggy
just pokin around.....

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
shaggy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "got puros?" dirty? come in for the story.

i wasnt a fan of that place anyways kev....and i dont think nick was as he only had 2 complete breakfasts that morning.

screw them and just got to primantes 3 times a day for sammys
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
i wasnt a fan of that place anyways kev....and i dont think nick was as he only had 2 complete breakfasts that morning.

screw them and just got to primantes 3 times a day for sammys
you are wise beyond your years mike
Old 04-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
BillyCigars

You've got me curious....

What exactly did she think the shirt meant? I'm scratching my head and trying like hell to find a "double meaning" from Puros. I'm coming up empty...

I'm curious what she thought it meant
Old 04-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCigars View Post
You've got me curious....

What exactly did she think the shirt meant? I'm scratching my head and trying like hell to find a "double meaning" from Puros. I'm coming up empty...

I'm curious what she thought it meant
apparently she can't read or spell she thought it said "puntas" since the two words are so close in spelling and all
Old 04-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

She must have been the brain dead village idiot!!
Old 04-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
BillyCigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
apparently she can't read or spell she thought it said "puntas" since the two words are so close in spelling and all
Good grief...
Old 04-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
sodomanaz

I'm going to give the girl the benefit of the doubt and think she figured the message meant, "non-race mixing."
As a half breed you sort of pick up on stuff like this a little too much, and well, assuming that the girl had some mixed Hispanic blood, may have taken this completely wrong.

Just a guess though given the info in the original post.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

I love it when people get bent out of shape for nothing. Im glad to hear you are going to speak with your money and avoid that place like the plague. Too many people accept things like that and continue to patronize.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
I love it when people get bent out of shape for nothing. Im glad to hear you are going to speak with your money and avoid that place like the plague. Too many people accept things like that and continue to patronize.
I was never a fan of this place to begin with but my parents liked it for some reason. I couldn't believe it when it happened and i still don't
Old 04-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
teotides

Quote:
Just to play the devil's advocate here I've got to say you're a little out of line (I'm not trying to be a d!*K but its actually a cultural slang thing). I work with and am friends with many Mexican folks. One day I made the mistake of telling them, in Spanish, that I love "puros". Alfonso and Victor asked me what I said, so I repeated "Amo los puros de Nicaragua y Cuba". They burst into laughter at my expense pointing at me and repeating that I loved puros in their native tongue. They added to the puros part "de negros" which I figured they were refering to maduros. Turns out, and this may be only a Mexican thing too, that puros is slang for penis in certain Mexican circles. I asked some of my Mexican buddies at the gym about the word and they also laughed. They have since educated me one the use of many words, seemingly harmless and commonplace, which are used as slang in Mexico. Hope this clears things up a bit.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

I hate eat and puke!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
GarlicBreath
is eating fiber

First Name: Tony
Trading: (37)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
GarlicBreath is on a distinguished road

Sniped me- we call it eat n puke too
Posted via Mobile Device
GarlicBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

puros and putos is pretty close at a glance (punta means "point" or "dot"), so I guess I could see that, but there's no need to make a scene.
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
teotides

Why would anyone get bent over the word puntas? Translated it simply means points...take the "n" out of the word and now we've got something to beef about.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #16
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Hey Loki!

Just stepping into the fray to further expound on teotides comment.

To the Mexicans everything can be turned into a double meaning and, especially when dealing with outsiders, is usually turned into a sexual joke.

"Fumo puros Cubanos" which to most of the world means I smoke Cuban cigars to the Mexican and many other Latin countries means I smoke just Cubans, or I just smoke Mexicans, etc...

This is turn, is "understood" to mean basically what he mentions below.

When dealing with people on a certain level (like in the Boardroom, Church, new acquitances) this is not assumed and will not be inferred but when dealing with people in a more familiar setting (such as with the boys situation) the naturally jokular nature of the Mexican comes out and is not meant to offend but as a joke for everyone to share in.

I dont know what the waitress interpreted by the hoodie, most likely she just didnt understand and was frightened by the unknown. Again I dont know so I can not comment but I agree with you that I would not go back and would make sure that my friends knew about it so they can make the decision to go or not to go as you have donw here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teotides View Post
Just to play the devil's advocate here I've got to say you're a little out of line (I'm not trying to be a d!*K but its actually a cultural slang thing). I work with and am friends with many Mexican folks. One day I made the mistake of telling them, in Spanish, that I love "puros". Alfonso and Victor asked me what I said, so I repeated "Amo los puros de Nicaragua y Cuba". They burst into laughter at my expense pointing at me and repeating that I loved puros in their native tongue. They added to the puros part "de negros" which I figured they were refering to maduros. Turns out, and this may be only a Mexican thing too, that puros is slang for penis in certain Mexican circles. I asked some of my Mexican buddies at the gym about the word and they also laughed. They have since educated me one the use of many words, seemingly harmless and commonplace, which are used as slang in Mexico. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Last edited by Texan in Mexico; 04-05-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Saying hello to Loki
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #17
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

How the heck could that be dirty? Wow.

MCS
Old 04-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #18
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
As the runner was bringing out our food another waitress came out and loudly and rudely questioned the meaning of my hoodie.
Let me know the name of the place.

Next time I'm over in that part of the state, I'll wear my *uck you, you *ucking *uck shirt that I bought on Bourbon Street.

We'll see if the waitress needs an explanation of that one.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #19
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
Let me know the name of the place.

Next time I'm over in that part of the state, I'll wear my *uck you, you *ucking *uck shirt that I bought on Bourbon Street.

We'll see if the waitress needs an explanation of that one.
this was in western pa at a place called eat and park....don't think that virginia has to deal with their shitty food yet
Old 04-06-2009, 06:44 AM   #20
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Today I had some running around to do today with my parents and we ended up going out to eat at the end of it.

We started off at costco where I had a pleasant gentleman see my shirt and say "not many people would know what that means but I do" then I mentioned that he should see the back and then he and his wife got excited and said that they have to get one so I made sure that they had marks web site addy so that they can have one. That was a nice start to the day.....
That's VERY cool bro, thanks for sharing! (btw - I love the hoodie as well, very comfy indeed)

~Mark
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote