Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road
Default New Coolidor! Pictures, Questions..

I recently broke down, and bought a coolidor after trying to take on the devil site and keep it in order (which failed). The desktop is close to over flowing (which isn't shown in my most recent pictures), but with the coming shipments, it will be.

Any ways, here is how I have mine set up..

That cedar is on the door is getting replaced first thing monday morning.

Beads located on top.

This is only a 28 qt cooler. I have in it right now five sheets of cedar from cigar boxes, and four jars of Xikar 70% beads in a tupperware container.. Like this..

Now onto the questions, With the plastic drawers in it, and the maximum capacity that you can fathom, do you believe I went over kill on the beads? I have had them seasoning, no sticks, for a day, and I am already at 60%, was at 22% when I started. Do you think the beads will over humidify this size of cooler?

Is there a better way of holding the beads to that cigar box lid? I was a little leery of glue, I don't want a lingering scent from it in there.

Do you think I should put a Oust fan somewhere in a cooler this size to move the air, or should I not worry about it since it isn't too big?

Thank you guys so much! Any tips or tricks in the coolidor world would be much appreciated.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New Coolidor! Pictures, Questions..

your fine, enjoy your cigars
Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Nice! I thought about using drawers, but it seems like it takes a lot of space away.

Here is what I did.. seems like more room.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

Partagas

I went for organization over space. I couldn't keep track with singles in boxes. I'm not a naturally organized person, so the more tools I can utilize the better!
Posted via Mobile Device
colinb913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Keep your cigars in boxes, ditch the shelves. For singles, pick up a couple wood boxes from your local B&M.

IMHO liners and internal shelves are a waste of valuable humidified space; garryyjr has the right idea.

Before I got my Staebell cabinet, I had five coolers up and running. Beads and boxes (and hygros), nothing fancier. Worked perfectly. Easy to organize, easy to find stuff.

JMHO - B.B.S.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb913 View Post
I went for organization over space. I couldn't keep track with singles in boxes. I'm not a naturally organized person, so the more tools I can utilize the better!
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess I'm not sure how cigars in six drawers are more organized than if the same cigars were in six boxes...??...
Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindedByScience View Post
I guess I'm not sure how cigars in six drawers are more organized than if the same cigars were in six boxes...??...
I see his point and yours, I am tired of pulling boxes out and restacking to look for a stick. I suppose the drawers would be a little easier, however for me not worth the lost space in the cooler.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

Partagas

Alright, after filling the drawers with what was in my small desktop it occurred to me that everyone on here knows much more than I. The drawers got filled much quicker than I imagined..

The drawers have been taken out, the cedar pieces are just now laying at the bottom, and I have a cigar box, and a few lids (don't know where the hell the actual box parts are) in there with sticks in them. Sure I may have to dig for a bit, but thats part of the fun... Right?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I see his point and yours, I am tired of pulling boxes out and restacking to look for a stick. I suppose the drawers would be a little easier, however for me not worth the lost space in the cooler.
My newest smokes go in the very bottom. I only pull from the top.. Maybe the middle. Gives smokes nice time to relax and mingle with one another.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
krb

Quote:
Alright, after filling the drawers with what was in my small desktop it occurred to me that everyone on here knows much more than I. The drawers got filled much quicker than I imagined..

The drawers have been taken out, the cedar pieces are just now laying at the bottom, and I have a cigar box, and a few lids (don't know where the hell the actual box parts are) in there with sticks in them. Sure I may have to dig for a bit, but thats part of the fun... Right?
Everybody has their own process. I use my coolidor to store stuff that I buy by the box. My desktop humidor has anything that I've bought as a single and then has an assortment of stuff from the boxes in the coolidor. This way I can grab smokes from the desktop and the coolidor stays sealed except for when I need to restock the desktop or have a new box to store.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
crazyirishman

Quote:
Is there a better way of holding the beads to that cigar box lid? I was a little leery of glue, I don't want a lingering scent from it in there.
You might try what I did for my analog hygrometer and my humidifier. It will cost next to nothing.

I took a spare, business card sized magnet from the front of my fridge and cut it in half, firstly. After that, I put the halves together to find out which sides would polarize to each other. After that, I just cut them to size to fit on the specific instruments (one square for the back of the humidifier, two smaller rectangles to put on either side of the hygrometer since I wanted access to the center oriented calibration screw).

I had some double-sided Weather King mounting tape after sealing up the windows in my basement, so I cut a piece the to size for each magnet. Miunt one magnet to the cigar box and the other to the jars.

The tape and magnetism is enough to hold an oasis foam humidifier fully charged with PG solution upside-down from the bottom of my humidor lid and not fall off every time I open and close the lid.

Maybe just use a few strips of tape for the Tupperware container of beads and one each for the jars. As I was typing this, I realized that you won't need to remove the jars and Tupperware the same way you would a humidifier, so just straight taping would be best for your application, I think.

The roll of mounting tape is huge, and the jars have what, a +/- ninety day lifespan if you don't recharge them and just tows them out (silly, really), it will last you a long time and has a lot of other mounting uses around the house (such as '06 Detroit Tigers AL Championship pendants and wall-mounted Irish tricolors, but those are just vague examples ).

Experiment and have fun with it, that's half of what building something yourself is all about!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

Partagas

What would be some good ideas to "spruce" up the cooler? I was thinking about buying a wooden chest to put it inside of, and putting that at the foot of my bed..
Old 01-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Quote:
What would be some good ideas to "spruce" up the cooler? I was thinking about buying a wooden chest to put it inside of, and putting that at the foot of my bed..
That is a neat idea. I like that.. I may have to come up with something as well.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
schollianmj

get a BUNCH of bands and glue them on like wallpaper covering the ENTIRE outside of the cooler. then have people guess how many bands you used....