Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #81
polobear

Default Re: Shilala Beads

Huh. That's interesting to know, thanks for sharing that knowledge, Shilala!
Old 06-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #82
Morgue

Love learning about this stuff.

Thanks for sharing Shilala!
Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #83
stewshi
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (23)
stewshi will become famous soon enough

Shilala does know his stuff!

I had the pleasure of speaking to him on the phone yesterday and he had some solutions for my win-o-dor humidty issues i was having. I took his advice and so far everything looks 10 times better than before.

Great guy
stewshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #84
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewshi View Post
Shilala does know his stuff!

I had the pleasure of speaking to him on the phone yesterday and he had some solutions for my win-o-dor humidty issues i was having. I took his advice and so far everything looks 10 times better than before.

Great guy
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #85
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #86
Chinogobraap

I went to go check out a humidor today that i found on CL and bought it. The dimensions are; L- 24"xW-24"xH-30". After doing the calculations for Shilala beads it says I need; 17280 cu.in. or 2 lb. The humidor is supposed to hold 2000 sticks but I'll only have about 200 loose and 4-5 boxes in there for now. Do i need to actually purchase 2 lb or can I do with less for now?

The current owner uses the old green foam, and it holds temp and rh at 70/67%. I checked his hygrometer and the min/max in memory was 63/72. Any help would be great, I've never had to deal with a humi this big but he made me an offer I just couldn't turn down.

**If this is the wrong place to post this apologies
Old 06-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #87
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Well, unless I'm incorrect in understanding how that type of humidification works, it doesn't matter how many sticks you have in the humidor...just how much room the beads have to humidify. So yeah, if that's how much the website says you need I would stick with 2lbs.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #88
Chinogobraap

thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #89
Chinogobraap

Ok I'm just about to put in my order for 2LB of HCM beads and I was just wondering about something. I noticed on the heartfelt site that you can purchase the beads without containers, just on their own. I can't seem to find that on the shilala beads site. I know I can just cut them out of the bag if i wanted to or are they designed a certain way to work better in those bags?

One last thing the site recommends doubling the weight it recommends is there really a need?

Thanks again in advance.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #90
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinogobraap View Post
Ok I'm just about to put in my order for 2LB of HCM beads and I was just wondering about something. I noticed on the heartfelt site that you can purchase the beads without containers, just on their own. I can't seem to find that on the shilala beads site. I know I can just cut them out of the bag if i wanted to or are they designed a certain way to work better in those bags?

One last thing the site recommends doubling the weight it recommends is there really a need?

Thanks again in advance.
You don't need to, it is just recommended because it is always better to have too much than too little.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #91
Chinogobraap

cool, thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #92
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

How much would I need for a cabinet the size of an Aristocrat?
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #93
Chinogobraap

the easiest way to figure it out is to get the dimensions of your humidor, go to http://hcmbeads.com/products.asp , enter your dimensions and it'll spit out exactly what you need.

I just did this yesterday and my humi is 24x24x30 and it came out to 17280 cu.in. = 2LB
its literally play
Old 06-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #94
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinogobraap View Post

Thanks again in advance.
They're designed to work in the bags they're made in.
The fabric is very sheer and durable for the best possible air transfer. The bags are just the right size to take full advantage of the bead's properties, and allow maximum exposure per volume of beads.
Another infoid is that the beads are tiny. Take them out of the bags and they will be all over your world.

Most everyone always uses two times the amount of beads necessary. I use three or four times what's necessary cause I'm mental. It's kinda like how we buy way more cigars than we'll ever smoke.
In the case of any beads, more can't hurt, and the more you have the quicker the recovery time will be in your humi.
If you use the same surface area amount of Michael's beads as opposed to any other media, they will bring a humi back to the desired RH over 800% faster than any otherstuff.
If you take them out of the bags and put them in bowls and things like that, you're just screwing yourself over. Unless you dump them on cookie sheets in your humidor. That'd be better.
It's another math-laden thing as to how beads work, but that's the short of it. "Don't take them out of the bags" is a really good suggestion.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #95
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Shame you guys don't offer replacment bags for these beads when they split. Maybe have a version sealed with velcro for those who need to repair the original broken bags. I've inquired more than once but have never been offered a solution. Might consider this an opportunity to grow the customer service side of the business.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #96
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
Shame you guys don't offer replacment bags for these beads when they split. Maybe have a version sealed with velcro for those who need to repair the original broken bags. I've inquired more than once but have never been offered a solution. Might consider this an opportunity to grow the customer service side of the business.
Eric, all you have to do to fix your bags is re-iron the seams using the iron on it's highest setting.
It's super easy.
Use an old tshirt under the bags, NOT a towel. Press and hold for a few seconds in each area.
You can always hand-sew the bags, too. It wouldn't be too awful tough.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #97
Jack1000

Just ordered some beads. I have HF beads in my humi's now so I will do a comparison for anyone who is interested.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #98
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (84)
lbowles2 will become famous soon enough

I will be ordering some as well. This thread has sold me. Also I am having with the heartfelt beads. If I have the vino upstairs they can't get the humidity high enough and if I put it in the basement where it's more humid it can't get it down low enough and I'm tired of screwing with them.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #99
jimmyk26
Jimmy Jim

First Name: Kings of Leon
Trading: (32)
HUpmann
jimmyk26 will become famous soon enough

^ Me too this has been a very informative thread, so I had to get in on the Bead action.
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #100
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1000 View Post
Just ordered some beads. I have HF beads in my humi's now so I will do a comparison for anyone who is interested.
I certainly would be.

Because this happens to me....

_____they can't get the humidity high enough (in the winter for me)and if I put it in the basement where it's more humid it can't get it down low enough(in the summer)______

For me though if I put my coolerdors in "body bag" type garbage bags that does solve it. Of course I'd rather not deal with it.

I will also say that the HF beads when I bought them were the best thing available. I have not tried Shilala's beads so I can't comment on them.

Last edited by kenstogie; 07-01-2010 at 10:58 AM.
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote