Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Don Lugo robusto

I was warned about the Thompson house blends and their aggressive sales policy, but they had an offer I could not refuse. A travelhumidor with some house blends for a price lower than what I had to pay for the same sort of travel humidor anywhere else, so I jumped the deal. Getting rid of the constant flow of emails from Thompson was a drag and well, due to the bad reputation, I was reluctant to light the cigars. Today I finally got myself to smoke one, to see if it could live up to the bad reputation. I picked the Don Lugo, made from Dominican olor and piloto tobacco with an Indonesian wrapper. This robusto has the standard 5x50 size.

The Indonesian wrapper is quite dark, has some veins and is quite oily. The cigar has a big band. The construction feels good and the predraw is fine. I taste pepper and tobacco and I smell hay and wood.

I taste a nasty and bitter coffee flavor with some spicy harshness. The coffee disappears and I get herbs with the spicy harshness.

Halfway I also taste some sweetness with the herbs. After two thirds the sweetness disappears and I am stuck with the nasty, spicy and harsh herbs again.

The smoke time of this nasty cigar is about an hour and ten minutes. The cigar gave me enough smoke, but the smoke was thin and gray. The ash is dark but not firm at all. Unfortunately this cigar is full flavored, it is medium to full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, and I warn you: STAY AWAY FROM THOMPSON HOUSE BLENDS!

Appearance: 6 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 6 / 10
Aroma first part: 5 / 10
Aroma second part: 4 / 10
Aroma third part: 4 / 10
Old 08-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Don Lugo robusto

You are a brave, if somewhat masochistic, man for hanging in with that review.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I want to say great review... because you're on the money with this one, however I don't want people to see my comment without reading your review.

This was one of the first cigars I smoked, as it came with my first humidor... I only smoked one. That's all I could handle.

I call this Don's Lugy

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

HAHAHA a blast from the past! I got a whole bundle of these when I bought a humidor from Thompson. I think I smoked 1.5 of them...

If you look through their catalog, almost every single one of their bundle house brands is the same thing: Dominican short filler, Sumatra wrapper. I don't understand how they stay in business. I would be willing to bet that 50% of their sales are to first time customers.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I got a bundle of these as well when I bought my humidor a few years ago. Hilarious but accurate review, Ferdinand!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
papichulo
Diablo Canoso

Trading: (2)
papichulo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
I got a bundle of these as well when I bought my humidor a few years ago. Hilarious but accurate review, Ferdinand!
Are they still resting--I wonder if they get better
Old 09-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thompsons constant flow of emails...at least you are protected from them calling you everyday.