Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 11-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Just got my first pipe

I am excited to try this thing out, but have no idea where to start.

I watched a couple youtube videos on filling and lighting a pipe, but it seems everyone does it differently and claims everyone else's methods are sloppy or not correct. Is there any true correct way or should I just pick a method and try til one works for me.

Any hints / tips?

Also, looking for some good places to get some Pipe Tobacco. I got a pouch of Captain Black at the moment.

And finally, not sure whether or not I should be keeping this in my humidor or not. Any word on that?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Just got my first pipe

As far as filling and lighting are concerned, try them all. Whichever works best for you is the way you should go. Remember to have patience! Pipe smoking can be a bit troublesome at the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite rewarding.

As far as tobacco is concerned, there are many places to get tobacco. I usually use pipesandcigars.com, but there are others I am sure people will suggest.

If you want to keep your tobacco fresh, store it in large mouth ball jars. Don't put any tobacco or smoked pipes in your humidor, for the same reason one would separate infused from non infused cigars.

A lot of questions have been answered here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6366

Look through it and you find answers to questions you never thought you had!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
As far as filling and lighting are concerned, try them all. Whichever works best for you is the way you should go. Remember to have patience! Pipe smoking can be a bit troublesome at the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite rewarding.

As far as tobacco is concerned, there are many places to get tobacco. I usually use pipesandcigars.com, but there are others I am sure people will suggest.

If you want to keep your tobacco fresh, store it in large mouth ball jars. Don't put any tobacco or smoked pipes in your humidor, for the same reason one would separate infused from non infused cigars.

A lot of questions have been answered here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6366

Look through it and you find answers to questions you never thought you had!

Amen! Worth the "work" of learning though!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

The best advice has allready been given. I shop at smokingpipes.com. Welcome to the hobby!
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Just had my first bowl. Don't have a "pipe lighter" so I used a one of those long stemmed bic lighters. Was pretty good tbh. Completely different from cigar smoking. I took time to make sure I was taking small draws. The pipe went out 5 or 6 times, but I just tamped it down and relit. Was pretty relaxing tbh.

Most information I have seen, everyone was expressing constant feelings of "You wont like it at first, but have patience." ... I didn't think it was too bad. Infact, I would say I actually enjoyed it. Must be all the diehard pipers trying to scare noobies away to keep prices low or something lol.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote