Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
rhmalone
Still Watching My Back

First Name: R. Harrison
Trading: (5)
rhmalone will become famous soon enough
Default A Boy & His Pipe, a First Date

Today marks my introduction into the world of pipe smoking; something I've been curious of for a little while. I've been a cigar smoker for a few years, but pipes have always held a certain allure for me. I actually joined CA more for the information on pipes than on cigars (although I intend to chime in on that side of the leaf as well).

Anyway, this week as been nothing short of school boy excitement to try my first bowl full of pipe tobacco. I mistakenly snubbed cobs simply on price, figuring them to be cheap. More on that in a moment. Instead I picked up what appears to be a decent, inexpensive estate briar from eBay. I'll soon realize the wisdom of this as it's not arrived yet.

Last night I took a trip to the local B&M to pick up the necessary stater equipment as well as ask a few questions. In addition to the tools I had intended to buy, I walked away with what will amount to a couple of bowls of Frog Morton the guys at the shop gave me. Naturally, having tobacco in hand only served to further my school boy excitement. And after some Q&A on here I was adjusted in my wrongful thinking about cobs and as such went out and picked one up from the drug store.

So here I am, all set to try my first ever pipe and while I don't know if I did it all right, I will say my experience was more pleasant than not (so I must have). Instead of burning / wasting the FM (just in case things went south), I picked up a pouch of Capt. Black Gold at the drug store.

At first, I didn't notice any sort of flavor but as a few draws turned to several I began to pick up on the flavor. All in all, I think it's a little weak for what I may end up liking, but enjoyable nonetheless.

If you could see the grin on my face, you'd probably smack me silly. Well, time for another bowl...