Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Katmancross

Default A. Turrent Triple Play Toro

I was seeking out my people's roots and was excited to go to Israel... in the dead of Summer. Never claimed to be very bright.
Not knowing the cost of cigars over there, I decided to bring some of my favorites for myself and anyone I might meet that I would enjoy smoking with.
My prize possession being the A. Turrent Triple Play.
It's called the Triple Play because all the leaves are Maduro. And that the wrapper came from the San Andres Mountains in Mexico. The binder and fillers were made up of Nicaraguan, Honduran, and Mexican. The wrapper is a beautiful USA Connecticut Broad leaf.

Now most cigar snobs lift their noses at Mexican cigars. But these are guys not following the huge forward moves being made in the cultivation of Mexican tobacco.
If anyone checked this month's Cigar Aficionado, they would discover that this stick came in at #14 of the Top 25 Cigars of 2010. Very Impressive! And it was rated a 93. This cigar competes with some of the greatest cigars being made and holds its head up high.

We landed in Tel Aviv. When I exited the plane, via the movable stairs, the humidity hit me like a Mike Tyson punch. My chin dropped to my chest and I gasped for air. Oh my God! No one told me about this. I would speak to my travel agent upon return.

We made the drive to Jerusalem and checked in at the King David Hotel. I had been there once before in 1965 when my beloved grandfather took me to Israel. It was a different time.
I remember being rocked out of my bed by a minor terrorist attack. For a 15 year old, that's pretty scary stuff.

I went to the room, with my wife, and then we headed down to the bar. I brought the Turrents with me. There was a special area for cigar smokers. That was a big relief.
Unfortunately, it was outside. So sweat was the clothing of the day.

We immediately met some tourists from South Africa. Issy Meyers and his wife, Renee... lovely people.
I brought out my first Turrent and handed one to Issy. He tells me he's never heard of it but after sniffing it and getting a lovely espresso bean and cedar whiff, he tells me he loves me.

We snip the ends with my Xikar back stop cutter. I hand him my Blazer lighter and we toast the foot. Sweat is pouring off my forehead.
My wife, Charlotte and Renee are speaking in German to each other. My wife is from Germany. And they are sipping cocktails. My wife likes to smoke the Acid cigarillos and convinces Renee to try one. Renee approves.

While this term is horrifyingly over used, the first taste, after light up is pure butter cream. Wow!
Issy's eyes light up. He compliments me on choosing the perfect cigar for the moment.
Issy examines the stick. It has a very oily sheen. It's firm in the hand. No soft spots. It appears to be packed perfectly.

Into the first third, we get a a sweet cedar flavor profile. And just the right touch of spiciness.
These flavors dominate the first third. It is difficult not to smoke it too quickly.

We get a couple more Israeli beers and just settle into our chairs. Smoke is billowing everywhere from out vitolas. A couple of Swiss tourists stop and ask what we are smoking? I explain and tell them I brought them from home. A fallen look upon their faces as their hopes for finding one in Israel seems dicey.

The second third ramps up the power. It starts out as a medium body cigar but is quickly becoming a full body, full flavored complex cigar.
The taste of dark coffee mixes with the sweetness.

The cigar takes 90 minutes to smoke and every second is enjoyed. The flavors of sweet cedar, coffee, butter cream, are maintained throughout the smoke. I don't taste other flavors but that's just fine because this lollipop of flavors is perfect the way it is.

We decide to meet for dinner as we get up from the table. Issy grabs my forearm and asks if I have anymore A Turrents? I just smile. And then so does he.

The Bottom Line:
A. Turrent Triple Play
Country of Manufacturer: Honduras
Size: 6 x 54 Toro
Strength: Medium-Full
Wrapper: Mexican San Andres Maduro
Filler & Binder: Nicaraguan, Honduran, Mexican
Box of 21: $132.95
Flavor characteristics summary: Creamy, mild spices, well-balanced, notes of coffee and cocoa on the finish.
http://www.mikescigars.com/cigars/a-...toro/box-of-21

Name:  A Turrent unlit.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  117.4 KB
Name:  A Turrent Beatles.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  A Turrent smoke 2.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  122.2 KB

Name:  A Turrent watch calc.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  96.8 KB

Name:  Me Live.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  100.7 KB
Old 02-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A. Turrent Triple Play Toro

These are a very tasty stick indeed!!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for the review!! Have one in the Humi that I keep passing over, I will now have to try it.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
jdawg
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (2)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
jdawg is on a distinguished road

Great review Kat!

I will have to give these a try.
jdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

nice job, sounds pleasing.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Katmancross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
nice job, sounds pleasing.
The cigar or Jerusalem?

It's crazy over there. People have learned to live with the fact that at any moment, Whoosh-Bam! They're gone...like any war zone.
But while we call the US a melting pot, it's nothing like Israel. There are so many different cultures there, it's staggering....which of course means the food is outstanding.
People are warm...and not just from the heat. Everyone should go once no matter the religion.
To stand somewhere and touch the face of a wall that was standing 2500 years ago...it boggles the mind.
I went to the Dead Sea. You can't swim in it. Too salty. I saw a 350lb man floating on the surface and no more than 1" below the surface due to the high surface tension from the salt.
The first time I went in '65, I was shocked. They had never heard of bagels. It's AMERICAN!
Of course they have them now, but back then that was very disappointing.

And the cigar is very good too.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmancross View Post
I went to the Dead Sea.....The first time I went in '65, I was shocked
Good Lord, Katman, you're so old, when you visited, the Dead Sea was only "sick"...
Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Katmancross

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
Good Lord, Katman, you're so old, when you visited, the Dead Sea was only "sick"...

You so funny!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
tobii3

On a more serious note, I had one Sunday. Smoked it to the nub....they really did a helluva job with this blend!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

One of my favorite cigars. Thanks for the review.