Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Casa Royale robusto

These Casa Royale cigars are another Holts exclusive made by Don Pepin Garcia, just like the Old Henry and Fumadores. The Casa Royale is a Nicaraguan puro that shares a wrapper with the Tatuaje Black. I bought this cigar when I was in Philadelphia in may 2009 and the cigar has been stored in my humidor since then. This robusto is 5 inch long and has a ring of 50.

The wrapper is rough, oily, spotty and chocolate brown with some big veins. The band is a bit over the top. The cigar has a chocolate smell. The construction feels good and after I punched the thick wrapper I get a good predraw with a raisin and tobacco flavor.

I taste espresso, mild bitter and strong with a pepper flavor in the back of my throat. The espresso turns into coffee with a hint of chocolate. After half an inch I also taste some leather. The coffee and the pepper disappear and instead I taste an earthy flavor with leather and the hint of chocolate. This all happens within the first inch of the cigar.

After an inch and a half I taste some wood with herbal flavors and pepper with every now and then some sweet chocolate. After ⅝ the pepper gets the dominant flavor and soon after it's a nice mixture of wood, nut and peppery flavors which get a little stronger.

The smoke time of this robusto is ninety minutes. The draw and burn are good. The ash is firm but rough of structure and almost white. The smoke is plenty, thick and white. This cigar is medium bodied but full flavored.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I will get a box

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
Old 10-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Casa Royale robusto

Afbeelding? The pictures you linked do not seem to be working...
Old 10-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Another fine review Ferdie. Have never tried these...but have just added them to my "Have To Try" list.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Damn that is a great band... Looks like a good smoke as well.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Love the pre-lit smell. Very much liked the 1st third but the few I had seemed to go south at the 1/2 way mark. I might have to revisit these.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #6
njstone

Nice review. I like these too ... the corona is even better, imvho. I want to pick up some of those next time they're on sale.