Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Hate ebay/heypal fees and new procedure

Sorry I just wanted to vent.
Need to sell a pair of extra hockey skates so I posted them up on ebay. Well they sold for 230 plus shipping. Ebay fees were like 16.00 heypal hits me for another 7.00. Yup 10% It just seems high to me. There has got to be a limit on this I am guessing but failed to research cant see paying 230 to sell something for 2300.

Then heypal has a new practice to protect the buyer errrr make money on intrest. They now are holding all funds in their accounts for sellers who have less than 100 transactions till the buyer leaves you positive feedback or 3 weeks pass with no negative feedback. I sell and buy occasional items on ebay and have for like 5 years and still dont have 100 transactions. Well I do but sometimes people dont leave feedback either way. I am guilty of this also. I imagine the majority of users are like me. There has got to be 100s of thousands of persons that they are doing this to. So basically as packages often take 5-7 days to get there, they hold the money likely in a large account making additional money off the intrest as at any given time I imagine there is a fairly large amount of money in the account.

Again sorry for the rant. I guess I will sell more stuff on craigslist and try to find a ****** alternative. BamBam sends my money uspsit seems to work good and is cheap
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

First Name: Trent
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Nabinger16 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hate ebay/heypal fees and new procedure

The way ebay triple dips into its sellers always burned my ass! They hit you when you list, they hit you when you sell, and then they freaken hit you when you receive payment through P P!

It's a great deal for them cause someone is making millions! Hell I saw a decommissioned aircraft carrier on ebay that sold for 12+million. I'm sure they negotiated the terms of the sale prior to listing it, but I have no doubt they still made a huge chunk of change just for the use of a tiny bit of bandwidth.
Nabinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

I have not liked using ebay in years since they started screwing people over with fees. They used to be cheap .. not any more. But the other options I have seen suck.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
I have not liked using ebay in years since they started screwing people over with fees. They used to be cheap .. not any more. But the other options I have seen suck.
Yeah ebay is the only decent option out there, that is what allows them to charge such high fees. Eventually a good competitor will come around, just ask ticketmaster.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

The last time I sold something on ebay was almost 4 years ago now......I've been using craigslist since I've moved or just take things to the thrift store because a lot of times it's not worth the hassle.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

I agree **** them!

Last edited by marge796; 03-22-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: '
marge796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge796 View Post
I agree **** them!

but I still use them!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

It just pisses me off that ontop of the 10% combined fees they are now holding funds. You know damn well they are earning intrest on that money as well. You got to imagine that at any given time the amount of money in the account is substantial.

As someone who had an issue with a seller in the past this BS of protecting the consumer is just that BS.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Cigary

I hear ya Pal,,,( sorry, couldn't resist ) I quit dealing with these two organizations along time ago because of their fees. I will buy items,,I just dont sell on them. I use other means by which to sell items and now that place is getting just as crooked because I now have over $450,000 in worthless Nigerian checks from people who want to tell me their life story when all I wanted to do was sell some items. I have to read how their uncle or wife or brothers sisters mother needs this item and they will send me double the worth of this if I will just send it to another address,,,blah blah blah.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
ChasDen

I was a full time seller on eBay before it became huge. I sold thousands of items a week and hated the fees back then before they started screwing the sellers. The problem is they offer a captive audience that numbers in the millions worldwide. If you need to move product, build the fees into the selling price and list away. There are thousands of sellers out there doing it every day and as long as they do eBay will continue their fee pillaging.

I never heard of them holing your funds though,
that takes it to the next level

Chas
Old 03-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

You can put an ad in your local paper cheap, and wait 6 months to sell your item.

Like Sean said, fees are rough, but what's the alternative?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
You can put an ad in your local paper cheap, and wait 6 months to sell your item.

Like Sean said, fees are rough, but what's the alternative?
I have always had success (both buying and selling) on craigslist. Best part, no fees
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Bottom line, their competition is almost non-existent. E-Pier gets next to no traffic(if it even exists anymore) and the few other places likewise. there was some hope that Microsoft and/or Amazon were going to partner up to create a similar site. That would be wonderful! Ebay has gotten way too big for their britches, they can delist your item and you have no recourse- they can do anything you want and you have nowhere else to go. Craigslist I understand is mostly local and frought with rip off artists. I think one thing Ebay has done with some success is weed out those types of people.

Yeah, I could go on and on myself as a massive user- like Chuck it was mostly in years gone by b4 they got really anal about stuff.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

I use craigslist, but thankfully as a police officer I carry a gun. Craigslist main issue which has been exploited is the meeting requirement. In the bay area there was a rash of robberys that occurred by people setting up meetings and then taking there money.

Just wish Ebay would stop hosing people. They figured out they are the only real game in town and are fisting people
Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

That's ridiculous, but it's easy to move things on Ebay.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #16
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I haven't sold anything on Ebay yet. I do purchase though. My problem with it all - and seems now to go along with the new procedure of holding money - is the whole feedback deal.

I constantly get a notice that the seller will leave feedback once they get feedback. Guess what - not gonna happen. As a buyer - once I pay for the item - my job is done. The seller at this point can/should leave feedback - not wait for me. Therefore I only leave feedback for those that leave it first.

When I first started buying - I did leave feedback - only to never get any from the person that I bought from. Not any more.

So according to what has been posted - the people I buy from that don't leave feedback after I pay - are not going to see there money for awhile.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

First Name: Trent
Partagas
Nabinger16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
As a buyer - once I pay for the item - my job is done. The seller at this point can/should leave feedback - not wait for me.
Ron... You and I are on the same feaken wave length Brother! If I pay someone within 30 seconds of the auction closing, I should get positive feedback! It's then up to the seller to earn his positive feedback.

Even when I was selling a few sticks on CS I always left feedback right away for the buyer when I received payment. To me that is only right.

The only reason I feel sellers with hold feed back is so they can leave retaliatory negative if that's what they end up earning.
Nabinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #18
ChasDen

Been on both sides of this unfortunately.

As a rule now, I leave feedback once item has been shipped not once payment has been received. Only because I have a ritual where I notify the buyer, leave feedback and mark the books as shipped.

Chas
Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #19
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

Their fees do seem high but look at the prices that some of real auction companies charge. 10% to the buyer and 15% to the seller.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #20
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasDen View Post
Been on both sides of this unfortunately.

As a rule now, I leave feedback once item has been shipped not once payment has been received. Only because I have a ritual where I notify the buyer, leave feedback and mark the books as shipped.

Chas
And that's fine with me - wish everyone did it that way. First week of March I purchased parts for my daughters Explorer from 5 different vendors. Only one of them left feedback for me. My number of feedbacks should be close to 100 - it's not, due to the almost 30 some people who expect me to leave feed back first. Oh well.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote