Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Sled Dog
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tim
Trading: (0)
Sled Dog is on a distinguished road
Default Snow.... it's coming

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, that means winter is too.... For all you fellow Northerners, what was the craziest snowfall you've been in?

For me, here in Buffalo, we got over 70 inches in about 36 hours. I took my wife to see a movie that night, went in to the theater and the stars were out. We came out 2.5 hours later and there was a foot of snow on my car. The next day I was delivering cans of gas throughout the neighborhood via my snowmobile....
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Snow.... it's coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Dog View Post
The next day I was delivering cans of gas throughout the neighborhood via my snowmobile....

For me it was the snowstorm we got here in the Detroit area in 1974. Nearly 20 inches in the course of a day. Combined with heavy winds and the snow plows coming down the street, we had drifts close to 10ft. Down the street from me, the church plowed the sidewalks, so we had 3-4 ft "canyon"s to play in. Granted I was 6 at the time, so everything was HUGE to my friends and I.

I hope we get hit like that again this year. Can't wait to try out my new snowmobile.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Not sure of an exact amount, but assume about 2' in a few days in the suburbs of SLC....

Love HUGE snowstorms, but I have never been in anything that changed how I lived my life...
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I friggin' hate snow.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

I remember one year there were flurries in Miami.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
I remember one year there were flurries in Miami.
And this last year in Chattanooga, we had a grand total of 6 inches. For the whole season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Not the biggest snowstorm I was in, but the BEST one, was about 10 years ago. I drove about 300 miles through a whiteout blizzard to make it to a ski resort. Got SO damn much snow (forget exactly how much), but the mountain was still open. BEST snowbaording weekend of my life. No better place to be snowed in!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Secret Santa
Ho Ho Ho

Secret Santa will become famous soon enoughSecret Santa will become famous soon enough

Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUL0KCIc48

Too many memories of growing up at 6000' in the Rockies where we had to get up every two hours to shovel snow. Often had over 5' of snow in the front yard.

Worst winter memory was having the car freeze solid for two weeks in spite of a lower radiator hose heater. Had to run extension cords out there and run high wattage bulbs to finally thaw it out. Standing temp was below -40* and wind chill was way south of that. Had to walk a lot, but met some nice people who offered rides.

Don't miss that at all.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
Thammy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tyler
Bolivar
Thammy is on a distinguished road

I was about to laugh and say we have not got snow yet so far, until I looked out the window and alas it is finally snowing. I like cold weather.
Up here minus 50 weather and snowstorms are pretty regular so I cant really pick a standout day.
Thammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

This one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_Blizzard
Had a blast, it was quite a time.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Blizzard of 1982

I remember this so much as we flew out to Hawaii, and the flight I was on was the first flight to take off from Stapelton Airport after it was reopened from the Blizzard. My mom and dad had three kids, aged 7, 9 and 12, and we spent 36 hours in the closed airport. When we finally left we could not get seats together on the plane from Stapelton to LA (as every possible seat was filled). My Dad was very worried about having all of his kids spread out across the plane, and so he sat me down and firmly stated that "Matt, you don't have to scream this entire flight, I am only 9 rows up from you and you will be fine." (paraphrase, not actual quote). Both people on either side of me asked if he wanted to change seats with them, he then sat my sister and my brother on either side of me, and told my brother that "if you needed to vomit, use the little bag and don't turn your head to the side like you did last time." The person this his side asked if he wanted to change seats. in the end he got all three kids, himself and my mom in one row. Impressive move!!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
Sled Dog
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tim
Sled Dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post

I hope we get hit like that again this year. Can't wait to try out my new snowmobile.
Mine's not new, but I just had it clutched and re-charged the rear shock.... i'm getting the itch!!
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #14
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Trading: (3)
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation

Did you guys hear much about the blizzards we had in Europe in January this year? I had the fun of driving 500miles home in a splitter van, through 5 countries, uphill, while the weather laid approx 5ft of snow over northern Europe!

TAMF,PPAB,ETWWWUTL,LITMPTYCL
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #15
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

The worst snowstorm I've ever been in was at the beginning of this year...we got just over a foot of snow!

That's a lot for Texas

But seriously, Texans don't know how to handle it when it's just flurries much less actual accumulation. Everybody starts driving like morons and they're actually more dangerous than any accumulation on the road.

I didn't have to go to work though
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpold View Post
Did you guys hear much about the blizzards we had in Europe in January this year? I had the fun of driving 500miles home in a splitter van, through 5 countries, uphill, while the weather laid approx 5ft of snow over northern Europe!
I was in London when it snowed a couple inches there and they had to fly salt in from neighboring countries. I also remember parts of the Tube were closed. Being from WI I thought the whole thing was quite amusing!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #17
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Trading: (3)
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation

Yeah, Britain was pathetic, what, early to mid December last year? The airports closed for less than 2 inches of snow. You would seriously have though we were in the tropics and had never seen snow. We sucked. Germany, early Jan, was far worse for snow, and far more efficient. Snow ploughs all over the motorways, gritters. I saw 4 accidents on the drive home. All of them were British. 3 of them were driving WRX Subaru Imprezzas. Tw@ts.

TAMF,PPAB,ETWWWUTL,LITMPTYCL
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Ah the joys of living in TN instead of Michigan. I expect at most an inch on the ground at any given time.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #19
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

I don't mind snow, kinda use to it by now.

Just not a fan of 12 Inches of Snow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D39Lm...6A0038&index=3
Old 11-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #20
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
VTDragon is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Snow.... it's coming

No specific storms to think of up here in Vermont, I'm just happy it had not started yet.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote