Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #21
Wanger

Default Re: Snow.... it's coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
This one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_Blizzard
Had a blast, it was quite a time.
I was a senior in high school when that one hit. I remember we got about 6 inches during football practice. Took a while to dig out of my parents driveway the next day.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #22
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

My sister and parents got nailed by the big snow in the DC area last year. We had 2 feet one year here, when we had to stay in a motel for two days because we were unable to come back to the house some 20 miles away via backroads.

In college I remember going to a basketball game in Buffalo after the worst of the snow from the storm the OP mentioned and the drifts were still as high as the street lamps! And up the road from Ithaca in Fulton they'd get five/six feet overnight from lake effect!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #23
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Born and raised in Alaska and I have spent more than a few nights at the cabin during snow storms. There is nothing more peaceful than watching the snow fall in the woods...

I miss home...
Old 11-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #24
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
This one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_Blizzard
Had a blast, it was quite a time.
This one for me too. Shut the city down for about four days because the snowplows were still fitted for leaf collection. I was in college and had a great time. Funny thing was around Thanksgiving that year there was another huge storm and they had it cleared by morning with no interruption because the plows were all set to go.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #25
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Florida kidding aside, will never forget my NJ send off in 1996.
Three months before moving (which ultimately made the decision easier and faster) we got hit with an epic storm in the NYC area.
32 inches. Shut down the area for 3 plus days.
Don't think I had ever seen that much snow in one fall before.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #26
Sled Dog
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tim
Trading: (0)
Sled Dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
Born and raised in Alaska and I have spent more than a few nights at the cabin during snow storms. There is nothing more peaceful than watching the snow fall in the woods...

I miss home...
Truer words have never been spoken..... especially when there is no wind, big flakes are coming down, and its that time just before dusk when everything looks blue...... I do love those moments!
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #27
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvarsity View Post
This one for me too. Shut the city down for about four days because the snowplows were still fitted for leaf collection. I was in college and had a great time. Funny thing was around Thanksgiving that year there was another huge storm and they had it cleared by morning with no interruption because the plows were all set to go.
Yep same with me here. Left a night class at break because of the snow, and didn't have to go back for the week.

Got stuck up in St Cloud for the next one when me and my dad were visiting my brother who was going to school there.

Both were memorable fun times.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #28
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Dog View Post
Truer words have never been spoken..... especially when there is no wind, big flakes are coming down, and its that time just before dusk when everything looks blue...... I do love those moments!
Amen!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #29
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, that means winter is too.... For all you fellow Northerners, what was the craziest snowfall you've been in?

For me, here in Buffalo, we got over 70 inches in about 36 hours. I took my wife to see a movie that night, went in to the theater and the stars were out. We came out 2.5 hours later and there was a foot of snow on my car. The next day I was delivering cans of gas throughout the neighborhood via my snowmobile....
Let me guess...the 2001 Blizzard?

I was in Tonawanda/Amherst living in the Peppertree Apartments when that hit. I believe I still have pictures of the drift my old truck was in!

Also got caught up in the 1991 Blizzard in Georgia. Was without power for over 14 days.

Ironically I was born during the 1977 blizzard in Brunswick Maine.

My mother swears I must attract snow :P
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #30
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Winter of 1994-95. I was in Connecticut and they had snow and nor'easters and it was a miserable winter with lots of the white stuff. They kept commenting, "Coming from Green Bay, you must have seen it much colder than this." Seems they all remember the Ice Bowl and think that is what it must normally be like in Wisconsin.

I just remember my dad visiting and stating, "Wow, you guys have a ton more snow that we do at home." And when he told people that, they were amazed.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #31
gvarsity
still crazy

gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophernut View Post
Yep same with me here. Left a night class at break because of the snow, and didn't have to go back for the week.

Got stuck up in St Cloud for the next one when me and my dad were visiting my brother who was going to school there.

Both were memorable fun times.
I walked to a party the night of the first storm and we walked right down the middle of University ave because there were no cars and no plows. (For non-MN people it's a 4 lane one way major street usually super busy)

I also just missed the huge 1993 march Blizzard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century that shut down much of the east coast. I was in NJ for the year and left work early and drove to the airport and spent the night in the airport lobby sleeping on my bag. If I hadn't gone then I would never have made it to the airport. I had an early flight out, maybe 6:30ish, to Las Vegas to visit my folks. It was one of the last flights out before they shut down the airport. When I got back a month later they were still doing cleanup. The worst part was after it snowed it rained on like a foot of snow and saturated it and then it froze solid so there was a foot of ice on everything.

Another time in the 70's my family got stuck in a motel in Duluth for 3-4 days due to a blizzard.

Blizzards are adventures for sure.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #32
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Winter of 1994-95. I was in Connecticut and they had snow and nor'easters and it was a miserable winter with lots of the white stuff. They kept commenting, "Coming from Green Bay, you must have seen it much colder than this." Seems they all remember the Ice Bowl and think that is what it must normally be like in Wisconsin.

I just remember my dad visiting and stating, "Wow, you guys have a ton more snow that we do at home." And when he told people that, they were amazed.
Kinda like when I was in college in Grand Forks, ND...it had to be warm enough to snow, and for much of Dec-Feb, it wasn't. I don't miss that bone chilling cold. I remember one January it didn't get above 0*F for the entire MONTH.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #33
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Blizzard of '78 for all the old timers up here in the Boston area

For me.....either two years ago Boston got 30" over the course of 3 days (I recall going to a BC basketball game on Sat) or 1996 our town got 23" in less than 48 hours.

Bring on the snow!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #34
Sled Dog
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodSpite View Post
Let me guess...the 2001 Blizzard?

I was in Tonawanda/Amherst living in the Peppertree Apartments when that hit. I believe I still have pictures of the drift my old truck was in!

Also got caught up in the 1991 Blizzard in Georgia. Was without power for over 14 days.

Ironically I was born during the 1977 blizzard in Brunswick Maine.

My mother swears I must attract snow :P
Exactly.... right around Christmas.... I was at the Regal in Williamsville when it started
Old 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #35
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Exactly.... right around Christmas.... I was at the Regal in Williamsville when it started
LOL!

I used to work at How-Dee's...then Club Infinity
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #36
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Dumping here now.... Actually had to get on the roof to wipe down the dish to keep watching the game....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #37
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Well, just finished with snowthrowing my place, plus a few neighbors.... Not a huge amount, maybe 6+", but it was heavy.... Neighbor lost a tree to the weight.

The pup had his first run in a good snow.... Like most dogs, he seemed to love it...

E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #38
Sled Dog
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Well, just finished with snowthrowing my place, plus a few neighbors.... Not a huge amount, maybe 6+", but it was heavy.... Neighbor lost a tree to the weight.

The pup had his first run in a good snow.... Like most dogs, he seemed to love it...

Thats great! Great looking dog by the way too. Around here they are saying things might be brewing for the coming weekend, "the first significant lake effect snows of the season".
Old 11-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #39
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Snow in Seattle. Dont know when it is going to stop.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #40
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post

Great Picks!!! Great looking puppy dog, too.