Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Jon11
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jon
Trading: (0)
Jon11 is on a distinguished road
Default Cracked foot on a good stick

I guess my humi being 58% for about a month did dry out some of the cigars. Took all of the sticks out to put in tupperware so I can reseason the humi and a Padron 80th anniversary at the bottom had about an 1/2 inch crack from the foot up. Does this mean it was too dry or does this sometimes just happen? I will smoke it tomorrow night anyway considering it is about a $30 stick. Any hope for a good smoke tomorrow?
Jon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cracked foot on a good stick

Should smoke fine, maybe a bit fast because of the dryness
Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

I agree it will smoke fast other than that nothing should be wrong. But if you take your time you can save her. Even with the cracked wrapper.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Less painful than a hangnail. It will smoke fine.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

One thing you can do is pick up some pectin or cigar glue -- this is the stuff that the rollers use when sealing up the wrapper. You can find it in many B&Ms, you can make it yourself using fruit pectin from your grocery store and there are some BOTLs on CA that make and sell this stuff.

You can brush this on lose wrappers and cracks to keep them from spreading and once it dries (a few minutes) your cigar will smoke fine.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

I find that it usually canoes a bit until the burn is past the crack and the. It evens out again with a well constructed cigar.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Will smoke fine. Have cracked a number of foots on sticks in handling, banging against something. If it's a real bad crack, slap some pectin on it and she'll be fine.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Will smoke fine. Have cracked a number of foots on sticks in handling, banging against something. If it's a real bad crack, slap some pectin on it and she'll be fine.
That ^^^^^^^^^^

I smoke Nicaraguan tobacco dry all the time. I find they smoke far better. I picked up a 40 count "forgot about it - ador" at my brother's house in NOVA a couple months ago. Had about 15 cigars in it that hadn't been humidified at ALL, over the last 8 months or so. Granted, it was in the basement where it is always cool. I grabbed a Famous Nicaraguan 3000 that was easily 5 years old - it smoked perfectly!!! Matter of fact it is the most memorable cigar I've smoked over the last 6 months - I wonder how that blend is doing today!! No tunneling, not uneven, nor did it burn fast despite being dry.

I have a "dry box" humidor at my house that I keep 20-30 cigars in for smoking over upcoming few weeks. Inevitably, some stay in there for a few months. Again, it's in the basement and we have a humidification device attached to the furnace/AC. If it is a Nicaraguan cigar, I won't smoke it unless it is very firm and dry. When you light up that Padron try squeezing lightly right behind the burn line after about an inch into it. It will give and feel far more "squishy" than the rest of the cigar. I can't buy a cigar from any B&M and light it up. Even at 70%, I find them far too humidified for my taste. Of course, long term storage at 66-70% humidity, but when it comes to smoking them I dry them out for awhile (I am sure more than most people do). If they are moist I find them exceedingly bitter - especially Nicaraguan tobacco.

my $.02, FWIW
Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

58% is not terminal,in fact if your temp was in the 75-80 degree range it should be ok.
Sticks cracking is more likely from too much moisture or a sudden increase,or poor handling,of course.
Add moisture slowly, 1 % increase in 3 days is plenty,and let the cigars catch up gently.

63 to 65 % is a good average rate and will help protect against mold..........
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote