Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough
Default First time snowboarding today

So, I went snowboarding with some friends today. this was the first time I've EVER done a winter sport other than sledding lol. I had a BLAST! It was awesome! I busted my ass and my knees several time. Just before we finished up for the day, I fell really hard after really hauling butt down the third largest slope and though maybe I boke my tailbone or something, but it seems okay. It knocked the wind out of me for a second and my azz still hurts like hell. Overall, I thouroughly enjoyed it. Next time I'll stick to the first stage slope for a while. I though I had the hang of it when I was practicing on the bunny slopes, but I had a lot of trouble getting on and off the ski lifts. Sometimes turning was an issue, but not usually. I got slowing down, down pat, but once I came to a stop or almost, it's like I dug the edge in to far sometimes(not every time) and would fall on the same spot over and over. Here's a couple pics from today:

This was from the top of the big slope I went down.

Couple of the guys I went with.

The view up the slope

Now, I just need to find a decent used board and bindings so I can save money on rental fees. I want to buy the boots new. The rental boots WREAKED!

Anyone got any tips for a beginner on snowboarding? I also wore WAY too many layers for where we were. I had an undershirt/long sleeve underarmor shirt/longsleeve thermal/t-shirt/softshell jacket, then two pairs of socks, thermal pants and some starter running pants. Definitely just gonna do a long sleeve shirt with a t-shirt, and the pants combo next time. One pair of socks as well.
Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: First time snowboarding today

Always wanted to try that myself.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
GHC_Hambone

Looks like fun, I remember my first day was pretty tough but you start to get the hang of it near the end.

I actually have a used snowboard I'm looking to sell since I had back surgery. You would have to get it tuned up, and I have no idea how much the shipping would be, but its just sitting in my garage so it would be nice to get it to someone who could use it.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Greatest advice I could ever begin to give to a beginner is to stay OFF the bunny slopes. Take an express lift to the upper section of the mountain and take the green runs down. Make sure to research the map prior to going up there so you know which way to go.

Bunny slopes are scraped by newbies and produce sheets of solid ice if there hasn't been recent snowfall. The upper sections are usually freshly groomed. (Also avoid going on days with powder at all costs. Snowboarding in powder is difficult without steep runs. Newbies can become trapped and exhausted) But anyways... stick to these freshly groomed runs. A lot more cushion for you a$$ when you fall and you'll be far less prone to shattering a wrist. Get wrist braces to prevent this. I've been snowboarding probably 300 times and I always wear wrist braces. Find ones that provide flexibility, while still providing a little support.

Which brings me to my next point. Learn to fall. Do not catch yourself. You WILL break a wrist if you try to catch yourself. Be loose and don't tense up. You'll feel like a bicycle hit you the next day, rather than a truck.

Get yourself a helmet. Even if you're not going fast, other people are. I've been ran into by more newbies than I can shake a stick at. It's annoying, but I'm more grateful they hit me than a tree.

Avoid scraping! (IE going down the run sideways. This is fine for steep inclines when you're first starting out, but do not get into a habit of it!)

Learn to control your edges with your rear foot! Master that toeside edge and be careful not to catch your healside edge mid-turn. It will hurt and you can severely damage your head without a helmet. Read above. Get a helmet!

Learn that speed is not the enemy. It is your friend and with speed comes more stability so long as you have balance. Read above. Balance comes from mastering that rear foot in conjunction with shifting your weight.

This is only a smidgin of stuff I talk about when I take new people.

Above all have fun!
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool!!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
okieRob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: I'm not telling
Trading: (6)
okieRob is on a distinguished road

When I read the subject I had visions of a guy with a big swollen black eye

Glad you had a good day out. I've never had the chance to try snowboarding - we don't get the weather for it around here. Wakeboarding is another story...
okieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
Chris.
PSHC!

Partagas

Thanks for the advice Jordan! I only stayed on the bunny slope until I got the hang of slowing down and turning.

Next time I'm just going to hit some more of the bigger paths.

I did not wear a helmet. I will be next time though because a couple idiots didn't have their straps around their ankles and their boards went flying over the trees onto the bunny slope. One missed me by about 4 feet but came within inches of a little girl.

Oh, I took a closer look to see if I had a big bruise on my tail, but it looks like a couple of welts that blood came to the surface on. Ouch!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
Chris.
PSHC!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHC_Hambone View Post
Looks like fun, I remember my first day was pretty tough but you start to get the hang of it near the end.

I actually have a used snowboard I'm looking to sell since I had back surgery. You would have to get it tuned up, and I have no idea how much the shipping would be, but its just sitting in my garage so it would be nice to get it to someone who could use it.
I wonder if ups could give you an estimate on shipping? I don't want to spend too much though...
Old 02-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
GHC_Hambone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
I wonder if ups could give you an estimate on shipping? I don't want to spend too much though...
I will look into it. It might be pretty expensive so you may want to look locally, but I'll shoot you a PM when I find out.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
tobii3

Snowboarding in Garmisch, Germany on the Zugspitze....back in 1992

You were...ahem....how old???

hang in there Bro!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

I'm a two planker and don't even do that anymore.... Odd living in a place with World Class resorts all over and I spend FAR MORE time up there in the Summer months....

I think the Little Man will start snowboarding next year and maybe that will get me up to the resorts more....

Places will start blowing out stock before long.... Shouldn't be hard to find a nice deal on some boots if you know what you want.....

Some good snowboarding related deals here....again, if you know what you are looking for.... http://www.brociety.com
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Oh and a FYI on brociety.com it is a "woot" like site through backcountry.com.... A different deal every so often, 10-30 minutes or so....

I spend a fair bit of money off their whiskeymilitia.com site, which is more Summer board sport related.....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #13
Chris.
PSHC!

Partagas

Sweet, thanks man. I've been watching whiskey militia for a couple weeks now. got some nice DC shoes from them, and I got a great softshell jacket from dogfunk at a decent price.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #14
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Jordan! I only stayed on the bunny slope until I got the hang of slowing down and turning.

Next time I'm just going to hit some more of the bigger paths.

I did not wear a helmet. I will be next time though because a couple idiots didn't have their straps around their ankles and their boards went flying over the trees onto the bunny slope. One missed me by about 4 feet but came within inches of a little girl.

Oh, I took a closer look to see if I had a big bruise on my tail, but it looks like a couple of welts that blood came to the surface on. Ouch!
Any time

I don't swear a strap, but my bindings are so solid, I'd have to lose a foot before the board detached from me.

Also if you go to buy a setup, do not buy step in's. Buy ratchet style bindings. Make sure to get one with a nice thick supportive strap and be sure it's the right size for your boots. Spend the money on good boots and bindings. You will be able to enjoy the day if your feet aren't in pain.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
Chris.
PSHC!

Partagas

At the resort, they had Head boards, boots(I think) and bindings. I was pretty comfy all day. I had trouble with my right calf hurting after about 3 hours but I'm pretty sure it was from dehydration. I was sweatin like a pig. I ate there and they wanted $2.50 for water and $5 for a plain chicken sandwich!! Definitely packing lunches and drinks next time.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #16
Calexan

Also watch sierrasnowboard, evogear, the-house, and eternal snow. Especially during the spring time. Last years gear will go 50% off or even higher.

For boots you really should try them on and find a pair you like. Theres no point in trying to save a few bucks when the boots will be the deciding factor of whether youll have a good day or not. Try wearing a pair of boots that dont fit right for a full day of riding. You could even try some boots at the mountain then remember your size and buy em online to save a couple bucks. Remember though, most boots will pack out after you use them for a little bit.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #17
Chris.
PSHC!

Partagas

I'm 5' 10.5" tall. What size board should I look for? I'm thinking 150-155. I'm not sure what size the rental was, unfortunately. Is a longer board easier to turn with?

Thanks for all the great snowboard websites guys!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #18
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
I'm 5' 10.5" tall. What size board should I look for? I'm thinking 150-155. I'm not sure what size the rental was, unfortunately. Is a longer board easier to turn with?

Thanks for all the great snowboard websites guys!
Depends which style of snowboarding you want to do. I ride a 159 and I'm 5'9".

But I enjoy fast speeds and tackling terrain versus the snowpark.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:51 AM   #19
Chris.
PSHC!

Partagas

I like the speeds, but it takes a lot longer to stop when you're going fast. lol, for now I just want to enjoy myself and learn at the premade trails/hills at the various parks near me.

When you say slow down without scraping, how else would I slow down? during the turns? Just dig the board in a little more throughout the turn?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #20
skibumdc
That's what she said

First Name: Balco
Trading: (8)
PL
skibumdc is on a distinguished road

Cotton kills.
Invest in real ski/snowboard thermal layers made from Merino wool or synthetics.
Wool and synthetics wick away moisture and release it quickly. Keeps you dry and warm. Cotton just holds moisture and stays saturated.