Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #61
Fia
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jon
Trading: (0)
Fia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
I as well have done this. I have a lot of cigars i love to smoke which my B&M doesn't carry or can't keep on the shelves. I ALWAYS make sure to buy as many cigars from them as i smoke while i'm there and make sure they are ones that i will smoke again and not some cheap-o's. I personally don't see a problem with it and neither does the owner since he lets me continue to do so.
That makes sense but not every one has sense. Some guys would go into the shop that closed down with their zip log bag from Holts or CI and sit down and start smoking. They would even read the catalogs, planning their next purchase to boot. Had another guy that came in every day showing off his Cubans and smoking them but never buy from the store. Along those same lines they allowed pipe smokers to fill a bowl from their bulk blends for free to sample the different blends. There were some that "sample" every time they came in and never buy any pipe tobacco. Near the end of the business their inventory was so bad you couldn't blame someone for bringing their own. There was nothing decent to buy. If that happened when I was in there, I would buy a magazine or something. That's a bi reason why I would never subscribe to cigar or pipe magazines just so I could buy something from them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #62
ysr_racer

Default Re: My store is opening a lounge but we need some help...

I'm going to Starbucks tomorrow to use their wi-fi, think they'll mind if I bring a cup of coffee and a bagel from home?

See how silly that sounds?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #63
44stampede
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
44stampede will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fia View Post
That makes sense but not every one has sense. Some guys would go into the shop that closed down with their zip log bag from Holts or CI and sit down and start smoking. They would even read the catalogs, planning their next purchase to boot. Had another guy that came in every day showing off his Cubans and smoking them but never buy from the store. Along those same lines they allowed pipe smokers to fill a bowl from their bulk blends for free to sample the different blends. There were some that "sample" every time they came in and never buy any pipe tobacco. Near the end of the business their inventory was so bad you couldn't blame someone for bringing their own. There was nothing decent to buy. If that happened when I was in there, I would buy a magazine or something. That's a bi reason why I would never subscribe to cigar or pipe magazines just so I could buy something from them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Most people have no concept of what it takes to run a business. It sounds like on both ends of this scenario. The owner should never have let it get to this. The main fault is theirs. Maybe they were at their wits end and felt like this is better than an empty place. Sounds like it is and was not easy place to run a biz of this sort in that location.
You can't always rely on peoples good nature to have a business do well. It's true that most people will "do the right thing" but some won't and they can bring friends...
Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #64
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm going to Starbucks tomorrow to use their wi-fi, think they'll mind if I bring a cup of coffee and a bagel from home?

See how silly that sounds?
Lighting fee. I use to be opposed to it as I remember just going to any bar and smoking a cigar, but in most states that is a bye gone era. The rare occasion I do smoke in public, if they need a lighting fee, then that is gladly paid.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #65
ysr_racer

I guess I see that. It's kind of like a corkage fee at a restaurant.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #66
Fia
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I guess I see that. It's kind of like a corkage fee at a restaurant.
Agreed!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #67
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Wow how did I miss this thread? ToH opening a lounge? Awesome, count me in, I don't think anyone would mind a modest entry fee seeing as it would be the only place like it on island.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #68
Fia
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
Wow how did I miss this thread? ToH opening a lounge? Awesome, count me in, I don't think anyone would mind a modest entry fee seeing as it would be the only place like it on island.
Hopefully in the next month or so. I was there a few days ago checking it out. They are even installing a heavy duty industrial grade air filter!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #69
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Awesome, I love that place, every time the wife and I are downtown we stop in and the guy behind the counter gives my son a box to play with while I try to remember what cigars I've been meaning to try.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote