Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about
Default Antique made into humidor

In my bad luck june month I assisted a friend moving stuff from his storage unit. In return he gave me a antique trunk with cedar inside semi good seal. I have put my digi reader in there and it has maintained 60 humidity without any water in it what so ever or sticks for close to 11 hours, with it dropping to 59 a few minutes after opening it a lil bit ago twice. The Antique inside dimensions are 44 1/2 inches long, 16 1/2 inches wide and around 18 inches deep including the hollow lid. It also has a felted cedar tray in it almost as long as trunk for singles.

My idea is to graduate my coolidors to this Antique. My interesting thought is due to bad luck June, Funds are limited atm for more beads so was wondering the possibility that a dish of distilled water along with my shilala hcm beads from the coolidors would be able to regulate the trunk so the 2 -75 court coolidors can be emptied and placed in storage for camping or future use or PIF to a close brother just starting. I'm assuming I will have to just try it out by physical experiment but figured with enuff members that not only know of maintaining humidification but also have knowledge of said beads, someone might of as well tried and succeeded at something similar.

I would post pictures of trunk but Camera broke during other mishaps in bad luck June. I may have access to a camera when a buddy gets back from a work week.

My next question is in the age to better prove a seal in certain areas that is some possible future leak issues in certain areas inside what would be a good caulk for sealant that would not destroy the antique value of the item but ensure safety during winter and other months. And if value part can not be saved what would one use.

Last edited by CoreyD; 06-27-2012 at 11:00 PM.
CoreyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Antique made into humidor

Forgive me if my questions don't address your exact questions.

What type of cedar? I would guess it isn't Spanish Cedar. I would also expect this to complicate your humidification issues as well as the stability of the chest.

Regarding the leaks... if the chest was full and you had sufficient beads... I wouldn't expect small leaks to be too big of a deal. If you didn't want to seal the chest, maybe you can rebuild it to be a little tighter?

I would love to see pics
Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Sorry
Old 06-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Corey, the short answer is that the trunk is most likely to be lined with aromatic cedar, good for clothes, bad for cigars (the smell will from the cedar will mess up yer smokes!).
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
ckay
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
ckay is on a distinguished road

You can use foam weatherstripping for a seal. My only concern is what the interior is lined with as posted above.
ckay is offline   Reply With Quote