Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
lou2row

Default Blind ten spot review Part Two

Ten cigars have been sent to both EEE and andysutherland. With it being ten sticks, it was kept to low to mid range cigars. All are cigars I personally enjoy. We decided to forego it being about telling one brand from others, and changed it to just reviewing and seeing what each guy thinks of the sticks.

Sticks are on their way. Once they get them and get a chance to try them and write up their opinions, we will be on our way.

BTW, you each have the same stick for each number. I will wait till both reviews post before stating the cigar.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Blind ten spot review Part Two

:insert popcorn smilie emoticon here:
Old 08-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

In the words of C-3PO: "Here we go again".

With school about to start up, I'll be busier, but I'm gonna try to do at least one review a day, after I let 'em rest for a few days in the humi (providing allowing them to rest is ok with the OP).

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
lou2row

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
In the words of C-3PO: "Here we go again".

With school about to start up, I'll be busier, but I'm gonna try to do at least one review a day, after I let 'em rest for a few days in the humi (providing allowing them to rest is ok with the OP).
Good idea. That helps them reach the humi you prefer. These came out of three different humis, in two different areas of the house, and I'm not that anal about exact % humidity. 64-70 is fine with me.

You guys aint getting paid; no sense making a job out of something enjoyable!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou2row View Post

You guys aint getting paid; no sense making a job out of something enjoyable!
WTF do you mean we're not getting paid?
I expected to get $100 per review!

Just kidding! It should be the other way around.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Received sticks today. I'll put them in the humi for a few days and then get down to business. Nice bands on these sticks!

Insert quote here.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Blindjimme
Judgement Impaired

First Name: JB
Trading: (14)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Blindjimme will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
:insert popcorn smilie emoticon here:

Got ya covered MJ
Blindjimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindjimme View Post

Got ya covered MJ
Many thanks!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
EEE

Got sticks today. Wonderful looking bands. Real cool.

Ill be taking photos as we get through them.

Probably start smoking them this weekend.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Cigar #1

Construction: 6x52 torpedo, light/medium brown wrapper

Pre-Light: smooth w/ a cedar taste

1st Third: Earthiness and sweetness upon lighting. Very mild so far. Earthiness has subsided, leaving a sweetness and woody flavor. Nose exhale is smooth.

2nd Third: Sweetness persists. Woody flavor is faint. Earthy/leathery flavor returns. Sweetness dissipates by the end of this third. Leathery flavor is the only flavor detected at this point.

Final Third: Leathery flavor continues. Started to get harsh with about an inch and a half left. Purging couldn’t get rid of the harshness so I put it out.

Final Thoughts: This cigar wasn’t bad. Nothing exceptional, but not bad. I enjoyed the sweet flavors in the first two thirds. The wodiness was nice as well. I was somewhat glad for the harshness to arise midway into the final third, as it gave me an excuse to put it out. It lasted over two hours, and I was getting antsy to go back inside. Would I smoke this cigar again? Yes, although I’d probably enjoy it in a robusto size (and a maduro wrapper if possible) the next go-a-round.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
EEE

how do we post photo's on the site? I took a pic with my blackberry but don't know how to upload it.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEE View Post
how do we post photo's on the site? I took a pic with my blackberry but don't know how to upload it.
Upload the picture to a hosting service such as ImageShack and then copy and paste the link in your post.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
Steelergar

Kind of looks and sounds like a 5 vegas miami
Old 08-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #14
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Upload the picture to a hosting service such as ImageShack and then copy and paste the link in your post.
Or you can go to User CP and upload photo to your photo albums. It's on the lefthand side of your User CP under networking.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Cigar #2

Construction: 5.5x50 torpedo, dark brown wrapper
The wrapper cracked when I cut it.

Pre-Light Draw: cedar and slight coffee flavors, smooth draw

1st Third: Very pleasant aroma upon lighting. Coffee and chocolate flavors prevalent. A bit of spice and citrus are detectable through the nose. Citrus is becoming more prevalent. I'm detecting a slight bubblegum flavor (bubblegum flavor like the old sticks of gum that used to come in packs of baseball card packs, the kind with the heavy powder/chalk that prevents the gum from sticking to the cards).

2nd Third: spice through the nose is stronger, the strength of this cigar is also increasing. Much more full-bodied. The second third is dominated by strong coffee flavors.

Final Third: The cracked wrapper at the end is becoming a problem; the wrapper is starting to unravel as a result. Starting to become harsh. Coffee is still strong (black coffee).

Final Thoughts: This cigar was very enjoyable until the last inch and a half. The first third was very complex, then became pretty one-dimensional. Would I smoke this cigar again? YES

Insert quote here.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #16
EEE

well I just loaded up my photo and it was horrible (not in focus).

I smoked cigar #8 due to my time restrictions on Sunday morning.

Construction: ~4.75x46 (didn't have my gauge with me) brown wrapper with a red tint (sumatra?), no veins and an extreme soft spot in the middle of the stick.

Pre-Light Draw: I don't drink coffee but this had the same smell as freshly ground & roasted coffee beans, which is enjoyable.

Initial Draw: Little sweetness. If the wrapper was splotchy I'd guess that it was a sungrown, but it doesn't lend itself to that. Has a very interesting taste of wood that has just been cut and sanded, you know how it has a sweet smell to it.

First Third: Slight bitter through the nose, copious amount of smoke on each draw, dry wood flavor overwhelming -- then the burn issues start. Within 10 minutes it goes out twice. Then the draw becomes extremely loose.

After the 2nd re-light I was just working on trying to keep it lit. Didn't work. After it went out the 3rd time I tossed it. I was very disappointed as the first third had me interested in what it had to offer. The taste was good but unfortunately the construction killed it.

Pre-burn out - would have paid $4/5 stick
Post burn out - would pay $1-2/stick
Old 08-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
lou2row

Great reviews guys! As soon as both have smoked the same numbered cigar, I'll post what it was.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:44 AM   #18
EEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Cigar #1

Construction: 6x52 torpedo, light/medium brown wrapper

Pre-Light: smooth w/ a cedar taste

1st Third: Earthiness and sweetness upon lighting. Very mild so far. Earthiness has subsided, leaving a sweetness and woody flavor. Nose exhale is smooth.

2nd Third: Sweetness persists. Woody flavor is faint. Earthy/leathery flavor returns. Sweetness dissipates by the end of this third. Leathery flavor is the only flavor detected at this point.

Final Third: Leathery flavor continues. Started to get harsh with about an inch and a half left. Purging couldn’t get rid of the harshness so I put it out.

Final Thoughts: This cigar wasn’t bad. Nothing exceptional, but not bad. I enjoyed the sweet flavors in the first two thirds. The wodiness was nice as well. I was somewhat glad for the harshness to arise midway into the final third, as it gave me an excuse to put it out. It lasted over two hours, and I was getting antsy to go back inside. Would I smoke this cigar again? Yes, although I’d probably enjoy it in a robusto size (and a maduro wrapper if possible) the next go-a-round.
Eric #1
Since these are the same cigars I figured I would put our reviews together.

Prelight. I get a sweet hay flavor.

First third. There definitely has a sweet undertone to this cigar and a faint woody aroma on the nose. Nose exhale has no noticeable flavors.

Second third. I fail to get anything out of this but a very very small amount of sweetness. Once in a while I get that tobacco spice on the lips but its rare.

I smoked this while driving from OC Maryland to Philly. I liked the fact that I didn't have to think about the complexity of this cigar. Sometimes I enjoy a cigar with depth while driving but after auditing all day I just want to get a little mind numb. Anyway. By the time I started to get to final third I got tp the Pa border and got into some traffic. Driving a manual and being in traffic was good enough of a reason for me to throw it out.

I don't know if I would actively seek out to buy this cigar. It did its job for my drive but again it lacked any depth and didn't give me any taste other than "cigar".
Old 08-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #19
lou2row

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEE View Post
Eric #1
Since these are the same cigars I figured I would put our reviews together.

Prelight. I get a sweet hay flavor.

First third. There definitely has a sweet undertone to this cigar and a faint woody aroma on the nose. Nose exhale has no noticeable flavors.

Second third. I fail to get anything out of this but a very very small amount of sweetness. Once in a while I get that tobacco spice on the lips but its rare.

I smoked this while driving from OC Maryland to Philly. I liked the fact that I didn't have to think about the complexity of this cigar. Sometimes I enjoy a cigar with depth while driving but after auditing all day I just want to get a little mind numb. Anyway. By the time I started to get to final third I got tp the Pa border and got into some traffic. Driving a manual and being in traffic was good enough of a reason for me to throw it out.

I don't know if I would actively seek out to buy this cigar. It did its job for my drive but again it lacked any depth and didn't give me any taste other than "cigar".
Cigar #1 is a cigar I enjoy in the morning and on drives (as EEE had it). It has came across several times with excellent complexity and I have noted tastes of cinnamon, leather, pepper, nutmeg, and cedar. Other times, my take is very similar to yours. I wish you guys would have gotten one of the ones with more to offer. I stocked up on these when they were still available.

Cigar #1 was:

5 Vegas limitada 2006
Old 08-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #20
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

I've always wanted to try the Limitada. Not a bad stick, but I think they may need to lower their prices for me to buy a box.

Insert quote here.