Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 04-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road
Default Need new auto coffee maker

My old faithful coffee pot is crappin' out on me after ~5 yrs. It's a Cuisinart Grind 'n' Brew that was a wedding gift. Over those last 5 yrs, I've gotten pickier about coffee, I'm now willing to consider a separate grinder/brewer. Right now I'm looking at this grinder: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../coffeegeek-20

Seems to get good reviews at coffeegeek, after a modification... and modification = fun in my book.

Now I need something to pair with it. I've thought about french press, or moka, or some other crazy device.... But I really want something that has a built-in timer so my coffee is ready when I wake up. Am I stuck with a regular ol' drip machine? Any recommendations for <$100? Need something fairly large too, 8 cups minimum.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
drob
Superbowl XLIV Champs!

Trading: (8)
AirForce (Retired)
drob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need new auto coffee maker

Before I started using a french press, this is what I brewed in. As soon as you get it and the intro coffees, cancel the membership. You get to keep the coffeemaker. Brews at 195 - 200 degrees, and makes a great cup of coffee. And, unless I am mistaken, it is made by Cuisanart.

http://www.gevalia.com/Gevalia/Coffee/index.aspx
drob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

We've been using the Cuisinart Grind-n-Brew for years....has auto setting so fresh coffee is waiting when i WAKE UP....CARAFE IS THERMAL
Old 04-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Fumador bombed me a Cuisinart Grind N' Brew, and to tell you God's honest truth, I can't tell a difference between it's coffee and the brew I make in the French press. I love the damned thing.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Mark, I bought a commercial Bunn coffee maker on ebay a couple years ago to replace the bunn thermal carafe deal I had used for lots of years.
It's brought me more pleasure than you'd ever imagine. The cool factor is off the map and I have hot coffee 24/7. It doesn't cook down and taste like crap, either.
I bet you would absolutely love it.
You have to run a water line to it, but it runs on 110v, so you don't need a 220 outlet like most commercial Bunn models. The box thing lifts off the "soft warmer", so you can clean it easily and take it to the picnic table or whatever. The box thing holds a gallon of coffee, too.
I have absolutely zero waste because I just make a pot on top of whats already in there. It has hot water out the side and I use it to preheat my thermos for work.
I could go on forever about the positives.
It's nice to have a coffee maker that works so well. It's a true joy.

Edit:
I think I paid like 120 bucks shipped. I shopped all the models for a long time before I finally found this one. It's perfect except it has two burners on the top that I totally don't need. I'm sure there's gotta be a model that doesn't have that.
This one was brand new from a guy that started a convenience store that shut down before they got it off the ground.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
AllOGistics

My dad had one of the professional Bunn machines for his business. When they closed, he chose not to keep it. He's regretted it ever since. That is a great machine.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, one more thing...
That pot doesn't have a timer. It brews a pot in three minutes. I make my coffee the night before (or whenever, for that matter), and it's ready in the morning.
If I walk by and see it's low (there's a glass indicator in front), I'll just start a pot any time of the day. All my buds know that there's always hot coffee on at shilala's house, and I get a lot of company.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOGistics View Post
My dad had one of the professional Bunn machines for his business. When they closed, he chose not to keep it. He's regretted it ever since. That is a great machine.
I could not believe the price they go for on ebay. There's a million available and they're dirt cheap.
Mine still looks like it just came out of the box. It's incredibly durable and super easy to keep clean and nice.
They are mega-expensive new. Just the box thing on mine runs around 200 bucks. If not for ebay, I'd never be able to justify the cost.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
AllOGistics

I'm glad you suggested that one because I hadn't thought about that machine for a long time. I never really thought about checking ebay for it. I may have to look around and see if I can find him one for his birthday. Thanks for the tip Scott!
Old 04-25-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Thanks for the tips guys. Scott, that machine sounds great, but it'd never pass wife approval. As it turns out, my goal for separate grinder/brewer didn't pass approval either. Hate to admit it, but she's probably right. Our kitchen ain't that big and counter space is rather limited, and I tend to spread out and take up a lot of space when I cook.

Here's our compromise: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ELFZNM

From what I've read, the burr grinder is more than acceptable for drip coffee, the brew temp is right at 200 F, the grinder is separate from the drip so it stays dry (big problem with the Cuisinart), and I can't wait to play with all the settings to dial in my perfect cup of coffee. Best part is that we've got a collection of Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupons, so that knocked the price down nicely. Should be here in a week or so, I'll post my thoughts then.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
AllOGistics

That doesn't look like too bad of a compromise. I look forward to the update.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
novasurf
The Roastmaster General

Trading: (2)
novasurf is on a distinguished road

Newco OCS 8.
novasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

I vote for the Gevalia subscription; get the 12-cup coffeemaker and cancel.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I have been very happy with my Gevalia. Had it for 3 1/2 months now. Nice pot!
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #15
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (1)
Partagas
DocLogic77 is on a distinguished road

I'm VERY happy with my Technivorm Moccamaster.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #16
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Well two pots in, I'm really liking this machine. The brewing options are cool, I like options and buttons, so that makes me happy. The coffee comes out nice and hot, but to be honest I'm not sure it's much hotter than the Cuisinart (when using the Cuisinart setting to preheat the water). The taste is much better though. Brewed my lost pot with the Cuisinart on Monday, then the new one on Tue and Wed with the same beans. Very different. Monday's cup was bitter and not very flavorful, Tue was very smooth, little weak, Wed was strong, smooth, and delicious. Best part is the cleanup is much much easier. Instead of cleaning the whole friggin' machine, the carafe gets a quick rinse, and the 'gold tone' filter gets emptied and rinsed. I'm looking forward to a long future with my new friend!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #17
AllOGistics

Sounds like a real winner! I'm glad you found one that suits all your needs. Did it come with the gold tone filter, or did you purchase that separate?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:11 AM   #18
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Came with the gold tone. I think I read somewhere that it's gold-colored nylon, but it sure seems to work well.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
raisin
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
raisin has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasurf View Post
Newco OCS 8.
Better yet, get the 12, same brewing unit - better carafe (stainless v glass).

ps either way, best cup short of the TV.
raisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #20
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Mark, I bought a commercial Bunn coffee maker on ebay a couple years ago to replace the bunn thermal carafe deal I had used for lots of years.
It's brought me more pleasure than you'd ever imagine. The cool factor is off the map and I have hot coffee 24/7. It doesn't cook down and taste like crap, either.
I bet you would absolutely love it.
You have to run a water line to it, but it runs on 110v, so you don't need a 220 outlet like most commercial Bunn models. The box thing lifts off the "soft warmer", so you can clean it easily and take it to the picnic table or whatever. The box thing holds a gallon of coffee, too.
I have absolutely zero waste because I just make a pot on top of whats already in there. It has hot water out the side and I use it to preheat my thermos for work.
I could go on forever about the positives.
It's nice to have a coffee maker that works so well. It's a true joy.

Edit:
I think I paid like 120 bucks shipped. I shopped all the models for a long time before I finally found this one. It's perfect except it has two burners on the top that I totally don't need. I'm sure there's gotta be a model that doesn't have that.
This one was brand new from a guy that started a convenience store that shut down before they got it off the ground.

Scott, what model is yours? You're right, the cool factor is awsome and it's what I've been thinking of getting. Thanks Bro