Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 07-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #21
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Ideas for camping trip meal.

I would say Dutch Oven Pizza is an old favorite. Biscuits on a stick in the morning for breakfast. Cooking your eggs in an empty orange peel is fun.

SvilleKid has more Dutch Oven Recipes than Holland and Arnold Shwarzenneggar's character from Predator put togehter. Send him a private message, he might be able to share some knowledge.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #22
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

When I did alot of camping back in the 90', blackened steak was always a favorite to cook up at least a couple of nights during our stay on the Klammath River.

1/2" or so steaks.
McCormicks Blackened Steak Season (they may have discontinued this for the Grill Mates rub series).
A couple of nice tablespoons or so of butter in a hot iron skillet.

Rub down the steaks on both sides really good and toss em into the hot butter for about 4 min a side, and you're good.

We'd usually have sides of garlic bread, hot chili, and at least a bottle or 2 of Etna Pale Ale
Old 07-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #23
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Sorry, I'm o way to Wyoming, and Dutch oven recipes are on desktop computer in Bama. But, Dutch oven Pizza is easy. If interested, let me know, and I'll try to bang out the recipe on this tiny phone keyboard!

Hard to beat "hobo dinners", what others are calling "foil pouch meals". Almost anything goes. But secret is in folding up correctly so no steam escapes. Otherwise, you end up with charcoal instead of a meal. Peach cobbler? Simple. Melt butter in bottom of Dutch oven. Pour in a box of jiffy yellow cake mix. Pour in a 16-20 oz can of cheap canned peaches. Cheap peaches have more liquid. Stir. Sprinkle a little cinimmon on top. Put lid on oven. Put oven over 4-6 hot charcoals. Pile the top of oven with 20-30. Wait 15 minutes. For more cobbler, use 2 boxes of Jiffy, 2 cans of peaches.

How about a simple ice cream? In ice cream canister, pour in a two liter orange soda. Add one can of sweeten condensed milk. Crank it up til frozen. Sounds too simple???? You will be floored by the taste and simplicity. Try it with Grapico (grape soda). Or, root beer. A single two-liter bottle to a single can of SCM. All there is to it. No eggs or milk to heat, and chill. Ingredients don't require refrigeration beforehand! Great for camping...... As long as you have ice and a hand cranked maker!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #24
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Here's part of the menu.

Dinner-Burgers.

Supper for night 1 - Grilled stuffed crab. (these of coarse will be store bought since I live in Nebraska)

Desert night 1 - Apple/Cherry Cobbler in the dutch oven.

Breakfast- Pancakes and sausage.

Dinner- burgers

Supper- Corned beef in the Dutch oven with cabbage & potato's.

Dessert- Honey Pillsbury rolls stuffed with cherry or apple pie filling. Fried and tossed in sugar/cinnamon.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #25
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Looks yummy, Josh!!! Enjoy, bro!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #26
smitty81
Have My Own Room

SvilleKid, what recipe do you use to make crust on your cobbler?

I have read that some people use a can of pop on top of a yellow cake mix, some use butter instead of pop, some use both.

Curious as to which one is better or any difference between the two.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #27
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

mmmm... those pics look awesome. Just got back from camping. We made a nice pork loin (that lasted 2 days), lots of hobos, french toast, breakfast burritos, and our neighbors made a badass skillet breakfast on a 24" skillet over the camp coals. I was talking to the guy, and he told me he snagged the skillet pan for a whole $1 at an auction
Old 07-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #28
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
mmmm... those pics look awesome. Just got back from camping. We made a nice pork loin (that lasted 2 days), lots of hobos, french toast, breakfast burritos, and our neighbors made a badass skillet breakfast on a 24" skillet over the camp coals. I was talking to the guy, and he told me he snagged the skillet pan for a whole $1 at an auction
I bet that thing is a blast to move around. My 12 skillet is heavy enough.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I believe it's steel. I know it's some other metal than cast iron. I saw it leaning against a tree shortly after landing the boat and hauling all the gear up the beach and to our site. I picked it up and almost threw it into the air. I was expecting cast iron lol.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #30
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
SvilleKid, what recipe do you use to make crust on your cobbler?

I have read that some people use a can of pop on top of a yellow cake mix, some use butter instead of pop, some use both.

Curious as to which one is better or any difference between the two.
Nothing but the ingredients stated. Maybe some butter on top, if you want. The coals on top of the dutch oven will brown the top of the "cobbler".

Try the recipe at home first. If you want more moisture, less of the "cake", add a half-pint can of peaches to the mix. This can also be done with apples, except that canned apples don't have enough moisture, and we generally used two cans, and some extra water or apple juice. The cake batter should be thoroughly wet, but not runny when mixed.

We always found cheap peaches had more syrup than name-brand, and seemed to provide about the right ratio to give good moisture, while still leaving the batter great rise.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #31
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Those are good pics. They look good enough for web recipe pics.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #32
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Those are good pics. They look good enough for web recipe pics.
Har Har Har.............

How can I take pic's of something I haven't made yet?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #33
shibby4781
Snozzberry Taster

First Name: Keith
Trading: (3)
shibby4781 is on a distinguished road

Are you able to build a fire or will you just be using gas grills / stoves? If you can build a fire or even if you use a charcoal grill you can spit roast something. Lamb is always good, chicken or pork is great. You can make your own or buy one. The interwebz are full of creative ideas from really rustic to more modern ones. You don't need to do a whole hog or anything huge, I've done rabbit on one many years back. It's fun and not something your friends or passers by see everyday. Oh and the taste is great!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #34
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Hardtack. Rum or whiskey.

Mebbe some granola iffin' yer feelin' tree huggy.

Flippin' Nancies.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #35
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Josh.... Try page 25 of the Geezer doc. That's the basic recipe. But be aware that you can add anything that would be good on a pizza. Onions, mushrooms, italian sausage, anything. We found it helpful to first spray the dutch oven with PAM (or similar) first. When you spread the cresent rolls on the bottom, work them up the sides of the oven a couple of inches, and cover the metal completely with the dough. A third roll can come in handy for this recipe, especially if you use a larger dutch oven. When you place the remaining ingredients in, make sure you keep a small area around the outside clear to the top of the dough you worked up the side. Then, when you put the dough on top, work it down to the dough you worked up the sides. This will give you a more or less complete crust enclosure. This was found to be an effective way to lessen the clean-up time (and adds more crust, which is always good!) as it limited the areas that the cheese and other ingredients will stick to the sides! Depending on what all you add, this can cost upwards to $10 per ovenful. But it goes a long way, and it will be requested time and again!!

Enjoy!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #36
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Josh.... Try page 25 of the Geezer doc. That's the basic recipe. But be aware that you can add anything that would be good on a pizza. Onions, mushrooms, italian sausage, anything. We found it helpful to first spray the dutch oven with PAM (or similar) first. When you spread the cresent rolls on the bottom, work them up the sides of the oven a couple of inches, and cover the metal completely with the dough. A third roll can come in handy for this recipe, especially if you use a larger dutch oven. When you place the remaining ingredients in, make sure you keep a small area around the outside clear to the top of the dough you worked up the side. Then, when you put the dough on top, work it down to the dough you worked up the sides. This will give you a more or less complete crust enclosure. This was found to be an effective way to lessen the clean-up time (and adds more crust, which is always good!) as it limited the areas that the cheese and other ingredients will stick to the sides! Depending on what all you add, this can cost upwards to $10 per ovenful. But it goes a long way, and it will be requested time and again!!

Enjoy!

Thanks a bunch, appreciate it!