Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-30-2008, 12:45 AM   #221
kayaker

Default Re: Official MMA Thread

I've read a couple of articles that mention Forrest's sloppy guard before Rashad finished him off. I think in his interview (and from rewatching that part of the fight I agree) Forrest says he was pretty out of it most of the time he was on the ground.

Rashad landed some pretty heavy shots, but I think Forrest was pretty well toast, just barely able to pull guard and survive a little longer. Then Rashad finished him off with the big right and followup punishment.

Forrest was winning in the stand up, but his kicks were getting sloppy and Rashad was able to capitalize. I hope someone strips the belt from him soon. He's a few good fights lately, but I'm still not a big fan.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #222
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
He's a few good fights lately, but I'm still not a big fan.
I've liked the guy though sometimes it's like having to eat cooked spinach for me. I like watching him fight and then he does those ignorant showboat antics acting like a buffoon and it's hard to choke down.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:07 AM   #223
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I've liked the guy though sometimes it's like having to eat cooked spinach for me. I like watching him fight and then he does those ignorant showboat antics acting like a buffoon and it's hard to choke down.
He has toned it down quite a bit lately, but I definitely know what you mean. He is certainly unique...he showboats for the fans, but then is extremely classy to the other fighters and in interviews.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #224
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Holy ****, someone please tell me they saw Melvin Manhoef, a MW and last minute replacement KO Mark Hunt, a Super Heavy Weight!?!?!?!?

When I first heard that Manhoef was replacing Jerome LeBanner I was confused. Sure Manhoef is a highly touted MW with serious KO power, but for god sakes, Hunt has fought and beat CroCop in his prime and gotten kicked right in the face by him in the process.

What a sick KO, off his back foot at that. Very much like Rampage's KO on Wandy. Hunt went in sloppy, Melvin ducked and moved and threw the HUGE left hook, only Melvin's was followed by another right, but the left is the one that did it.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #225
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Holy ****, someone please tell me they saw Melvin Manhoef, a MW and last minute replacement KO Mark Hunt, a Super Heavy Weight!?!?!?!?

When I first heard that Manhoef was replacing Jerome LeBanner I was confused. Sure Manhoef is a highly touted MW with serious KO power, but for god sakes, Hunt has fought and beat CroCop in his prime and gotten kicked right in the face by him in the process.

What a sick KO, off his back foot at that. Very much like Rampage's KO on Wandy. Hunt went in sloppy, Melvin ducked and moved and threw the HUGE left hook, only Melvin's was followed by another right, but the left is the one that did it.
I just finished watching the K-1 event. That was a sic KO. 18 seconds! Never seen Hunt go down like that before.

This was the card of the year! Alot of folks think UFC is the chit but compared to the fights in Japan, there is no comparison. Really great fights with lots of KO's and subs. Crocop destroyed Choi's knee. That's the only thing he could do with that dude. He's huge!
Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #226
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Yeah Choi's knee just straight buckled from all those kicks. I still disagree with the whole WAMMA title thing. I'm confident BJ Penn would straight DESTROY Aoki.

Until the UFC joins WAMMA, their titles mean nothing......
Old 12-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #227
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I just finished watching the K-1 event. That was a sic KO. 18 seconds! Never seen Hunt go down like that before.

This was the card of the year! Alot of folks think UFC is the chit but compared to the fights in Japan, there is no comparison. Really great fights with lots of KO's and subs. Crocop destroyed Choi's knee. That's the only thing he could do with that dude. He's huge!
I like all MMA. I leave the business of it and comparisons of one organization to another to the media and the business people who cause some to fold, and buy each other out. I'm just glad i get to watch it all.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:21 PM   #228
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
I like all MMA. I leave the business of it and comparisons of one organization to another to the media and the business people who cause some to fold, and buy each other out. I'm just glad i get to watch it all.
I'm talking about the fights in general, not the business end of it. The good fighters that fight in Japan seem to be so much more skilled in all areas. Dream, Sengoku and K-1 cards are always great from top to bottom whereas the UFC will have 2, maybe, 3 great cards in a year. Plus, you don't have to be one of Dana's "boys" to make it big.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #229
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Some pretty good fights. Overeem made Badr Hari look silly. Straight schooled that guy. CroCops fight was boring, but what can you do against such a giant. And Hunt KO'd in seconds. WOW!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #230
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Just watched the Sengoku 7 event that held yesterday. More great fights! Here are the results:
  1. Hidetada Irie defeats Minoru Kato via TKO (Punches) in R2
  2. Maximo Blanco defeats Seigo Inoue via KO (Stomps) in R1 Head stomps are awesome!
  3. Mu Bae Choi defeats Dave Herman via TKO (Punches) at in R2 Herman had this won early but didn't finish.
  4. Eiji Mitsuoka defeats Sergey Golyaev via Submission (Armbar) in R1
  5. Antonio Silva defeats Yoshihiro Nakao via TKO (Knee Injury) in R1
  6. Muhammed Lawal defeats Yukiya Naito via TKO (Punches) in R1
  7. Sanae Kikuta defeats Hidehiko Yoshida via Split Decision It's strange watching Yoshida fight without a gi.
  8. Jorge Santiago defeats Kazuo Misaki via Technical Submission (Rear Naked Choke) in R5.
  9. Satoru Kitaoka defeats Takanori Gomi via Submission (Heel Hook) in R1. Gomi Loses by Heel Hook submission early in the first round. Kitaoka is the new Sengoku Lightweight Champion. Thats two loses in a row for Gomi.
DEAN LISTER REQUESTS, RECEIVES RELEASE FROM UFC

Following a loss to Yushin Okami at UFC 92 in December, middleweight Dean Lister requested and received his release from the promotion and will seek a deal with a new employer in 2009. The news was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Sunday by Lister's management team at Haymaker's Empire.

According to his manager, Lister requested the release and the UFC granted his leaving the organization. The former Abu Dhabi champion is already in talks with several promotions, including Dream and Affliction, for a new deal.

During his time with the UFC, Lister amassed an impressive 4-2 record with wins over fighters like Jeremy Horn and Alessio Sakara, with his only losses coming against Nate Marquardt and Okami in his last bout.

With his release from the UFC, Lister isn't looking to sit out for very long. He wants to return soon with a new promotion.

The grappling guru is also looking for a shot at a fighter such as Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza or possibly new Sengoku middleweight champion Jorge Santiago, to get back in against top competition and prove his meddle as one of the top submission artists in MMA.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...7898&zoneid=13
Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #231
kayaker

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13639/davi...-at-ufc-97.mma

David Loiseau agrees to new UFC contract, could return at UFC 97
by John Morgan and Dann Stupp on Jan 05, 2009 at 4:44 pm ET
Popular Canadian fighter David Loiseau (18-8 MMA, 4-3 UFC) will return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship for the first time in two-and-a-half years after after agreeing to a new contract with the organization.

A source close to Loiseau today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fighter has accepted a UFC 97 bout with Ed Herman (14-7 MMA, 3-4 UFC), though the fight is not signed and could still fall through.

Although not officially announced, UFC 97 is expected to take place April 18 in Loiseau's home of Montreal, Canada.

The bout was first reported by CagePlay.com.

Loiseau, a former top UFC middleweight contender, eventually left the organization after a title loss to then-champ Rich Franklin and a subsequent decision defeat to Mike Swick. Loiseau, once of the UFC's most exciting fighters, then signed with the upstart EliteXC organization and promptly suffered his third consecutive defeat with a decision loss to Joey Villasenor.

Since then, though, Loiseau has gone 4-1, which included a TKO victory over "The Ultimate Fighter" and UFC veteran Solomon Hutcherson in his most recent bout in September.

Herman, meanwhile, has had a rocky road since his runner-up finish on "The Ultimate Fighter 3." After the loss to Kendall Grove in the live finale and a subsequent submission loss to Jason MacDonald in his following fight, Herman posted three consecutive victories (Chris Price, Scott Smith and Joe Doerksen) – all via stoppage.

However, Herman is 0-2 in his past two fights with a submission loss to Demian Maia and a close split-decision defeat to Alan Belcher is his most recent fight at UFC Fight Night 15.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #232
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Nice! The Crow has always been a top favorite of mine because of how exciting of a fighter he is. I remember watching him back in the day in the UFC. Dude's elbows are razor sharp. If his mind is right, he may be a force in the division.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #233
Steelergar

I'm confident BJ Penn would straight DESTROY Aoki.

I don't know about that Aoki has some sick submissions and is very innovative. I saw him break a guys arm doing a flying arm bar within a couple seconds at the Rickson Gracie Budo Challenge. The UFC does not have the caliber of lightweights like they do in DREAM (or middleweights). Then again if they fought under UFC rules Penn would probably win because they stand fighters up just about everytime they go to the ground.

]
Old 01-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #234
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Looks like they're working on Rashad vs. Rampage for the Columbus card. I sure hope so, because right now the floor seats I have for the show are getting me nothing.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #235
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Can't wait to watch Hendo vs Franklin.

The Evans Jackson fight should be good as well. Hope you get to see that one.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #236
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Can't wait to watch Hendo vs Franklin.
UFC 93 Weigh-In Results:

Main Event
Rich Franklin (203) vs Dan Henderson (202)

Mark Coleman (206) vs Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (205)
Jeremy Horn (185) vs Rousimar Palhares (184)
Alan Belcher (186) vs Denis Kang (184)
Marcus Davis (169) vs Chris Lytle (171)

Alexandre Barros (170) vs Martin Kampmann (168)
Antonio Mendes (204) vs Eric Schafer (205)
Ivan Serati (204) vs Tomasz Drwal (203)
John Hathaway (171) vs Tom Egan (169)
Dennis Siver (155) vs Nate Mohr (156)
Old 01-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #237
kayaker

Rich Franklin (203) vs Dan Henderson (202)
Mark Coleman (206) vs Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (205)
Alan Belcher (186) vs Denis Kang (184)
Marcus Davis (169) vs Chris Lytle (171)

These are the fights I'm most interested in seeing.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to go out to watch it, or wait until it shows up on the MMA vid sites. I don't think I'll bother renting it.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #238
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Decent card. Nothing spectacular except when Kang tapped after beating Belcher pretty good.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #239
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

card was pretty boring except the first 2 fights.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #240
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

Pretty uneventful. Waiting for GSP vs. Penn!!!
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote