Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #61
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Let's see those '09 gardens

Pictures soon.

It's rained 10" in Charleston in the past 6 weeks. My garden has been suffering. I have managed my first double fist-sized tomato, a 5 gallon bucket of squash (tossed out as many that had rotted), 3 nice cukes, and my Early Jalapeņo bushes are FULL of nearly mature peppers. The herb garden is growing like a weed (which they are). I can hardly keep up with it. Fresh veggies and fresh herbs are a summertime treat.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #62
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Here we go. I get home, it's rained nearly another inch. Since May 11, we have nearly 11.5 inches. That's crazy. It gets hot as hell, then boomers roll in during the evening and at night. I should have planted rice!!

I forgot to mention my onions in the last post. They have really struggled with the wet garden. I lost nearly all my yellow onions. The whites are still growing...big and tasty. I chop up the small white bulbs and green tops and saute with butter and a little oil and salt/pepper. So freaking good! Also, thanks for everyone's pictures. They bring smiles to my face. Richard is a photo guru. He make's a simple flower look like a masterpiece!

Yard was flooded after work, so here's the shot from the porch. There must be 200 flowers on my cukes. The next 3 weeks are going to be fun!

I tried to zoom in a little. Minimal bugs, no rabbits, really not much damage other than the overly wet soil. I figured fungi and mold would be rampant, but KOW, it's alright so far.

The first tomato picked yesterday. Should be fully red in the next couple of days. Gotten several dozen Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes so far, also.

Here's a shot of my gauge. It was reset by my neighbor's kid on 5/11/09.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #63
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Great looking garden! I can't believe all the rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #64
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Love the tread! Thinking I might start a garden too!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #65
BC-Axeman

I'm still waiting for sunshine and warmth. We are projected to have two days, then back to cool and cloudy. My garden is in slow motion.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #66
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Got lucky as shite today... I was driving home down the back roads today and saw a whole flat of plants fly off the back of a truck way up ahead. The guy never stopped so I pulled over and noticed they were all hot banana pepper plants and 8 squash plants! Jackpot! I threw them in the truck and headed home to throw them in the garden.

After planting them I grabbed the camera so I could post some updated photos.

Purple Peppers are starting to get some size to them.

And the poblano peppers are growing nicely also.

Starting to get some tomatoes.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #67
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

My cherry bomb peppers are growing so slow.

Some of my asparagus ferns.

Still getting lots of spears popping up.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #68
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Old 06-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #69
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Bump for the garden photos. Let's see some updated pictures.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #70
tzaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
That is a fine plot of land!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #71
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaddi View Post
That is a fine plot of land!
The soil here is amazing. The whole neighborhood used to be a vinyard and in the fields some of the old vines are slowly growing back. I'm thinking about digging a few up and planting them along my white fence there.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #72
tzaddi

Quote:
The soil here is amazing. The whole neighborhood used to be a vinyard and in the fields some of the old vines are slowly growing back. I'm thinking about digging a few up and planting them along my white fence there.
Looks like it has great drainage and just enough red (iron) clay, a good match for top mulch.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #73
BC-Axeman

We just harvested all the radishes and gave the lettuce a complete cut and got WAY too much lettuce and radishes. My cherry tomato plant disappeared into the ground and I got my record tying gopher a day late. The sun has been out so maybe we'll start getting some squash. We need to figure out what to replant in the radish row now.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #74
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
We just harvested all the radishes and gave the lettuce a complete cut and got WAY too much lettuce and radishes. My cherry tomato plant disappeared into the ground and I got my record tying gopher a day late. The sun has been out so maybe we'll start getting some squash. We need to figure out what to replant in the radish row now.
Man that's terrible about the gopher. I have been seeing a lot of deer tracks in my garden but haven't noticed any damage yet. I may have to fence the garden in before it's too late.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #75
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Man that's terrible about the gopher. I have been seeing a lot of deer tracks in my garden but haven't noticed any damage yet. I may have to fence the garden in before it's too late.
DEER! Quick! They can reduce your garden suddenly to nubs in one night. I'm surprised you saw tracks and no damage. They don't spare me. Every year before this one they have gotten to the grapes and ate every leaf and shoot off the plants. They grow back weaker. This year the dogs have been keeping the deer away.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #76
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
DEER! Quick! They can reduce your garden suddenly to nubs in one night. I'm surprised you saw tracks and no damage. They don't spare me. Every year before this one they have gotten to the grapes and ate every leaf and shoot off the plants. They grow back weaker. This year the dogs have been keeping the deer away.
Too bad garden season and deer season dont happen at the same time. I would like to show them my appreciation for tromping around in my garden.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #77
BC-Axeman

Update.
The terracotta boxes are going to get screen put under them so I can plant some artichokes.

There seems to always be some orchid blooming.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #78
tzaddi

Lance, things are coming along nicely. I am interested in those terra cotta boxes. Where would one get such an item and how much? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #79
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaddi View Post
I am interested in those terra cotta boxes. Where would one get such an item and how much? Thanks.
Sorry Richard, I don't know. They came with the house 10 years ago and they looked old then. Those four were unused at the time and there are 10 more in a different area with roses in them. you might look in a decorative stonework place.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #80
MrsSledn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Cathy
Trading: (0)
MrsSledn is on a distinguished road

Some awesome pic's in this thread!

Sledn and I used to plant bigger gardens every year. Then stopped.

This year, we planted a small garden. Our 6 year old, really wanted one.

2 Big Boy tomato plants
2 green bean plants
2 peanut plants
6 strawberry plants
4 pepper plants. Wes picked em out, so hot peppers I am sure.
2 cilantro

We have already picked 5 or 6 green beans. There are 3 or 4 more out there ready now.

The peanut plants were eaten up by some varmit.

Tomato plants are growing nicely as are the strawberries. Pepper plants are getting there.

Lil Sledn loves it. He goes outside every morning to see what's new.

I just did the weeding tonight, so I will take some pics and add them in the morning.
MrsSledn is offline   Reply With Quote